It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locust Plague In Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This video shot by local man shows the problem, apparently some are very large

Plagues of locusts are swarming large areas of southern Russia, threatening thousands of acres of crops and in some places darkening the skies. A video shot by a local man in Achikulak, a village in the Stavropol region, shows thousands of the bugs swarming towards a church. Other videos, screened by local TV channels, showed clouds of locusts flying overhead.

“It was very frightening,” Lubov Timus, a local woman who lives in Achikulak, told ABC News. “Some were as big as your finger! They came like a clouds.”

edit on 30-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Yikes. Which seal of the revelation is this? Haha.

Seriously though, I remember some very similar occurrences in upstate NY in the 60s and 80s. Suckers were everywhere and stripped pretty much all the greenery in their path.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I read a news bit a few days ago about local radar showed a cloud system between 50 and 80 miles across, that was found not to be clouds. It passed over Wichita Falls Texas and moved on up into Oklahoma. Investigators discovered it was a swarm of grasshoppers and beetles. They went on to say that the insects were flying so high it is unlikely they could be seen with the naked eye. I didn't find how thick the swarm was but to appear as a cloud even 50 miles across in a single layer is a BUNCH of bugs!

Great find Blue Jay... With everything drying out and swarms eating everything that hold the soil together, I hope we are not in for another "Dustbowl" type situation soon.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This used to be a major problem in the US. From what I remember with a nature show I watched, the use of heavy machines to farm the land, ended up crushing most of the locus populations awaiting the next year for hatching. I think it didnt take a crazy amount of land to create a swarm like this, and was tracked back to somewhere near the foothills of the rocky mountains. Makes me wonder if they are still using horse and till to churn the dirt, in southern Russia, I wouldnt think so

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Wow. Somebody should devise a way to harvest those little guys for food. Couldn't be too hard to catch them. If they're eating the crops, we should eat THEM!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah, here's one up close.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

I hope you do.

However, personally speaking, the legs get caught between my teeth and I hate that.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I remember a summer when I was a kid, probably around 2000-2002 in central Texas, where we had a grasshopper "infestation" about like this. It was a nightmare on the ranch. Driving the tractor through a sea of grasshoppers in not fun!
edit on 30-7-2015 by Rexamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I read awhile back that the people who survived the locust plague were the ones that harvested them after they destroyed their crops and ate them to survive.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: Urantia1111

I hope you do.

However, personally speaking, the legs get caught between my teeth and I hate that.

Ewww, you eat the legs? At least tell me you cook them…

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
I read awhile back that the people who survived the locust plague were the ones that harvested them after they destroyed their crops and ate them to survive.

There are many recipes in Jewish and Middle Eastern cuisine of very tasty locust dishes. They are kosher, too.

I will not do the Bubba spiel from Forest Gump (shrimps), but there are a whole lot of recipes.

A common sense survival tactic if the crops are destroyed....crunchhhh!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
locusts are recommended as a food source
www.theguardian.com...

"In south-east Asia, insects are an important part of the daily diet for millions of people. Crickets, cockroaches and other bugs and grubs are sold across the region by roadside vendors and in smart restaurants. They are harvested commercially and by home producers, providing vital income for struggling farmers. Often, insects are the only source of income for women earners, who rig polythene awnings above a fluorescent tube-light to trap flying insects after dark.

Insects are plentiful, multiply and grow to adulthood rapidly and require little food to sustain them. They are the perfect source of protein. As countries in the west and developing world wake up to the looming threat of food shortages, it's time that governments seriously considered an alternative source of protein. Could insects provide food security for the coming centuries?"

no thanks.

+1 on US locusts being farmed out. read a book about it a while back.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438276232&sr=1-2&keywords=roc ky+mountain+locust

(me no affiliated wi author or Amazon)

thanks much for the vid. awesome stuff. most of us think of locusts as a third-world issue. bizarre to see them near the jet and the playground.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
m.wikihow.com...

Recipes

Seems at the moment we have grasshoppers taking out our canola crops too, so ......

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Not much meat on the legs. Better stick with the torsos.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I know you can definitely use 'em for fish bait.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

apparently some are very large

Those would be the Chernobyl crew.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Yikes. Which seal of the revelation is this? Haha.

Seriously though, I remember some very similar occurrences in upstate NY in the 60s and 80s. Suckers were everywhere and stripped pretty much all the greenery in their path.

There are no locusts in the Americas. They were wiped out 100 years ago. You may have had some hungry bugs, but not locusts.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnight4444

Im pretty sure that grasshoppers are called locust when they start to swarm and wipe out crops. And we have plenty of grasshoppers in America.

edit on 30-7-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I remember 50 years ago in a s. calif city was over run with crickets!!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

OMG me too, the local farmers burned their fields and the crickets swarmed all over the town. We were up scooping and vac in the middle of the night. Porterville close to Fresno.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join