It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Websites May Have To Generate Revenue Differently....Very Soon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Came across this article... Word Press

It looks like iOS 9 will be embracing ad blockers to promote a better user experience. Oddly these programs are not as popular as you would think, even though they are freely available, but I believe once it becomes more known and more accepted and spreads to the mobile community you can see websites not having a choice but to change their game plan.

We have already seen here, at ATS, the change in what threads are allowed and what threads are not which I personally believe came from when Skeptic talked about Google pulling Ads in what was hypothesized as some threads with particular content. *I'll try to find this thread*.

Another article I recently read, *which I will try to find as well*, talked about ads now running in the background of webpages that you can't even see which uses more data than expected and can slow down your machine.

Ads have gotten out of control. I never minded them when they first came out but they eventually led to awkward moments of random videos playing in the morning while the rest of the house was sleeping or scantily clad women popping up on screen while someone is next to you. To even malicious content that can freeze your computer or perhaps worse.

If ads are going to exist there has to be some kind of guidelines to them so for know I applaud this direction...and as for websites...well they will have to get more creative in generating revenue but this is coming whether they like it or not.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Much like even the most popular adblockers, there are white lists for certain CDN's.

Many companies have struck deals with those software creators to white list their ads so long as they were not intrusive, or downloading malware/spyware.

The original idea behind an ad blocker, wasn't to remove ads all together, it was for what the ads did your system. Infecting your machine and slowing it down by using too many resources.

Since CDN's have a come a long way and can better control their content, the whole adding of adblocker to iOS9 won't really create any issues for companies who use trusted CDN providers.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I hate those ads. My daughter discovered that when she exercised in front of her computer, she started seeing gym ads, we tested it, and I randomly opened a dollar tree ad, and within a few hours I got dollar tree ads. We hope its a coincidence, but now we keep tape over the camera. lol
I will be glad to have a blocker!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
I hate those ads. My daughter discovered that when she exercised in front of her computer, she started seeing gym ads, we tested it, and I randomly opened a dollar tree ad, and within a few hours I got dollar tree ads. We hope its a coincidence, but now we keep tape over the camera. lol
I will be glad to have a blocker!

The ads are served based on your viewing habits. If you do a bunch of research on cars, the CND network will likely feed you ads about cars for the next little bit.

It's targeted advertising that ( If I'm not mistaken) was pioneered by Google Adsense.

~Tenth
edit on 7/30/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Ya I agree...if it isnt intrusive I am completely ok with it. And there are programs that block the tracking...I personally like the tracking part. For example I allow tracking on certain news sites because it helps them recommend better news articles for me. I'm really not against that with commercials either....if I have to see a commercial id prefer to see one that is about something I may interested in but as there are so many intrusive ads.....I just don't allow them these days until some guidelines can be forced on them.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

.I just don't allow them these days until some guidelines can be forced on them.

And this is what is happening. Larger firms like Apple, Google etc. are now forcing CND's to vet their content more appropriately in order to prevent the kind of nonsense we are use to seeing when it comes to ads on the internet.

It's a step in the right directly. Any website that is already successful in it's revenue model, serving ads from trusted CDN's will likely not be affected at all. It will probably lead to more of their ads being seen as they will be listed as trusted.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Not only that, but will curb a lot of the "suspicious" type of ads that can spread malware. At least for a time.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

It's also a push to prevent revenue from flowing to sources of illegal copyright holders.

Like Torrent Sites, or streaming websites for TV. All of these websites rely on very sketchy CDN's that aren't likely to get approved on the white list.

~Tenth
edit on 7/30/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
We need a nikolai tesla for the internet.

The problem lies within the boundaries of its viewers. Buy a t shirt.

No but seriously the way advertisement works on the web it has to change. On tv you are forced to see and hear ads. But if your website doesn't receive money from the viewer directly then it will cease to exist.

Patreon is an answer to that... sort of.

So. Ats. What is your plan to keep this website running? Most of all ad free? Charge a yearly membership fee?

Honestly 5 bux a year doesn't sound bad. But please don't do anything prestigious with it. No 30 dollar membership status to have the ability to display photos for your avatar.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Google, Amazon and others are already paying off ad blocking companies to let some of their advertising through. There are a few other popular strategies to address the growing usage of ad blocking software:

1. Place the advertising within the content natively. You're already seeing this on several social media sites where there are posts in your stream from users who you're not following/not friends with, in sponsored search results, etc

2. Cap content consumption/block access to users using ad blocking software. This is pretty self-explanatory.

3. Content publishers make up the difference with more freemium models. Everyone gets access to limited content and features that is ad supported but other content and features are only accessible with a subscription. This is something that's already common with music streaming sites and among certain online news papers/magazines.

4. Ask users NOT to block ad content. If your favorite site is telling you they're going under if people keep blocking their advertisements, then you might be inspired to disable ad blocking for the site.

Personally, I'm fine with legitimate, unobtrusive ads, tastefully placed around content blocks.
edit on 2015-7-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well I don't want to say it but how far are we from having to pay our ISPs a fee for certain content like cable? Idk would the companies band together and do this?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
Well I don't want to say it but how far are we from having to pay our ISPs a fee for certain content like cable? Idk would the companies band together and do this?

No that's the whole idea behind Net Neutrality.

Keeping the internet as ONE service, as opposed to considering different parts of it more important than others.

Like paying more to access Netflix, then you would for CNN or something like that. This whole ' internet as a package' deal is something that will be hard fought by everyone really.

~Tenth

(post by gosseyn removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A public service announcement / reminder from the Terms and Conditions:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You mean like cable TV? Used to be you got cable to get away from all the commercials, now basic and extended basic are chock full of commercials. Paying the ISP for a ad-free experience is a great idea but ....business is business. No doubt the ISP's would end up taking your money and receive still more cash from the advertisers.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

You mean like cable TV? Used to be you got cable to get away from all the commercials, now basic and extended basic are chock full of commercials. Paying the ISP for a ad-free experience is a great idea but ....business is business. No doubt the ISP's would end up taking your money and receive still more cash from the advertisers.

Exactly this...I could see this happening...

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Right...honestly most successful companies I can't see wanting that anyway....but who's to say what "law" gets passed. Look at our laws already.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
all this will result in........ is that the current ad-blockers and tracker blocking software will become useless.

and room for new companies who might not sell out will appear.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Came across this article... Word Press

Thats only the half of it. Read what Jimstone has to say about whats happening to the internet Link

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Right...honestly most successful companies I can't see wanting that anyway....but who's to say what "law" gets passed. Look at our laws already.

These won't be legislated changes. It'll be something that comes out of companies just banding together for a common cause.

The natural evolution of software and content on the internet.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2 >>

join