It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"#DontStayInSchool".....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I thought school is where we learn how to play nice with our peers? Where we form our wolf-packs?

Could one imagine being raised amongst wolves in the wilderness and then have to learn all over again how to be civil among savages?

Who's the real wolf so many aspire to become just like?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sorry, folks, I have been at work since 6 this morning. Haven't had a lick of time to read through the posts but will get to it as soon as I get home and prop feet up.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

There is stuff in college you can learn that you won't get exposed to in high school. The problem is that you have to run the gauntlet of general ed credits and prep courses to get to those levels and by then you're practically to grad level work. It's very expensive to get there.

I always wanted to be the college student who worked in the open savannah or with the shark tagging teams, but you have to be grad students to do that.

And the general college ed curriculum is larded down with what amounts to remedial work because they assume your high schooling was crap or you were a jack off or idiot or some combo of the three mixed with required credits in things that you don't really need so they can claim your degree was "well-rounded."

edit on 30-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Schools need overhauls anyway because of technology. Our children could be educated to create a world where most of the work is done by robots, have radically different economies and they would only need to work 20-30 hours a week and then only have science, entertainment or made up jobs I can't imagine yet probably most of them providing services. But instead there are still many schools that still use paper books rather than computers because of budget constraints.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979
Schools need overhauls anyway because of technology. Our children could be educated to create a world where most of the work is done by robots, have radically different economies and they would only need to work 20-30 hours a week and then only have science, entertainment or made up jobs I can't imagine yet probably most of them providing services. But instead there are still many schools that still use paper books rather than computers because of budget constraints.

We are on purpose sending our child to a school that uses the old school learning. We want him to actually learn and train his brain to internalize information so he masters it for himself rather than simply learning to be reliant on learning how to look s*** up on the Internet. That isn't "learning." Studies show the information isn't actually mastered or internalized so the brain itself is not taught to learn new information.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

OK this guy is a fool........A self entitled fool at that. Blame everything but yourself.....Maybe he is a failure. That being said college can be a scam.
edit on 30-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

Don't be dissing books, many of us happen to love them.
I can read from a book far longer than a screen blinking at me, it fits nicer in my lap, bed or bathroom wherever I choose to read. Computers are not so easy to tote and just bring one to the beach sometime.
Besides, you can't write notations in the margins like you can in a real book.
My wife bought me a nook years ago, I read maybe 20 pages and threw it down in favor of the real thing.

When robots do all the work you can bet the income disparity we have already will look mild in comparison.
The owners of the machines make the money.
It's hard enough to find a decent job as things are now.
When food service and driving jobs become automated?
Forget it.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

Oh, and don't think I'm dissing technology at all. He'll get access to that in good time. But first and foremost, he needs to learn how to read, write and do arithmetic the old way, so he learns to depend on his brain as much as any other tool. Then we can start discussing the other stuff. It's not like he won't have computers (we build our own), a tablet, and other types of tech in the home.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well...

I guess I'll be the one to inform you that school does not come as easy to most people. Consider yourself lucky that you are so much more intelligent than others and find it so darn easy and boring.

Ever consider just teaching yourself? Although, I'm sure you have already gone that route when it comes to certain things like most people do when they become interested in things.

a reply to: pl3bscheese

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh don't think I'm not seeing the benefit in some degrees or graduate school for your passion. I get that an engineering, computer science, or PHD in general is a good way to go, but I wasn't having that, and am doing okay as-is.

To be fair to my local community college, this last round they did me right. I went online, tricked the registration system to allow me into classes I shouldn't be in, got called out the first day for being way out of place, then pleaded my case to the engineering director. Once I got him on board, it was as easy as getting a sign off from each professor, and the director as a waiver to take classes meant for exiting semester engineering students, and even doubled up on material taking mini-mesters.

The problem is that the curriculum seems inherently outdated when we're talking IT. I was working with lxc/docker containers half a year before registering designing my own at home, and around the world labs connected together with privately hosted repos. I was working on various implementations of fault tolerance and multi-tier, enterprise level system designs just for funzies. Then I take several steps back learning about VMware and not even the teacher has a clue what docker is about, yet she's treating VMware like it's the bleeding edge and going to take her job within the next few years.

It made no sense to stay in that. You memorize a bunch of acronyms, get a basic understanding of protocols and software stacks that are about to be obsolete, and are one among many in a stack of resumes with a slim chance to get a job if you don't have a connection or a good reason to stick out. That certification doesn't say all too much anymore.

I'm sure if I stuck through an engineering or computer science degree through graduate school it would be a different story, but I'd rather get to it now and am slowly building clientele doing gigs on my own.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

it seems to only serve the system....it largely neglects talents and creativity in order to churn out kids to fill the positions created by the system...neglects to teach kids life skills, and most importantly how to change the system (I.e politics)......

I couldn't agree more. The system wants us all to be what they want us to be. Nothing more. Although they do a good job at making us think they aren't neglecting our other interests by giving us the extra classes such as band, theatre, and the clubs we can join.

edit on 30-7-2015 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2015 by PageLC14 because: grrr

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Teaching a work ethic would be a positive step.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yes. I was just thinking that maybe instead of taking kids, well HS kids, on field trips to zoos and water parks maybe they should send them on trips that are like that show Undercover Boss in a way. Get consent from 5 or so different businesses ranging from fast food places to hospitals and have the kids go in there and actually go through the process of interviews, orientation and first couple days of work. They could spend a week on this trip and the students would come away with something better than a sunburn.

Wouldn't that be neat? Idk. Personally, I've always found it easier to visually learn things. To be SHOWN what to do. Learning proper English and math is really all you need to be able to do a majority of the jobs out there. Show kids what else there is out there, literally SHOW them first hand and that gives them the incentive to pursue certain subjects.

a reply to: roadgravel

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I used to get really upset in class thinking "man, when will I ever need this or use this when I grow up?" Now I know that even though you may not use some of it, a majority of it comes in handy. It also helps expand your mind and even though you don't notice it, it all makes life a little easier.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join