It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Quake Was Predicted; No One Listened

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That information is interesting!

Especially the columbia.edu link.
The tsunami animation is pretty amazing,

And in this case, it appears that there was a pretty accurate prediction.
But what happens when the predictions are wrong 2 or 3 times in a row?
Regular folks will just stop listening.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

And in this case, it appears that there was a pretty accurate prediction.
But what happens when the predictions are wrong 2 or 3 times in a row?
Regular folks will just stop listening.

I've said this a couple of times before, but I'll say it again. The Pacific Ocean already has sensors in place to give warnings of events, including tsunamis. If this models works over time then there could be issued watches, just as we have storm watches and warning now. When there is a watch, people could be cautious because they know the probability is high. When there is a warning people can take appropriate measures.

I am however speaking of undersea events. When one happens on land, it's too late to do anything but get under a table or something. However, when there is a tsunami, the warning system can give a twenty minute to a two hours head start to people in dangerous areas.

[edit on 04/12/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by electric
Where's the proof? Many people, including "mystics," claim to have predicted quakes _after_ they happen. There are also people who are making several predictions per day about quakes, covering most of the area of the tectonic plates within a week. The accuracy of their predictions can be traced to probability.

Sorry but that's bs, at least one reporter from ATSNN and I know, and have seen Stan Deyo post his predictions at least 5 days before the earthquake happened, and right on the dot it happened in one of the areas he mentioned where the major earthquakes would occur. He uses daily sea surface temperature maps to predict where and when earthquakes like the one in SE Asia are going to happen.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
---edited for double post---

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
E_T posted an interesting response to these scientists' theory Post Number: 1054333 (post id: 1076226), about haflway down the page.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join