It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Versions?!?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I've wanted to d/l and have available MInt on a USB for quite a few months....to have as a backup and to get used to the new OS before I attempt to partition my hard drive....and that will be another learning experience LOL
I don't understand/know about how to do this properly.

Could someone provide non-geek step-by step instructions....or a "for dummies" kind of website?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll write it up for you later today.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Thank you kind sir!!!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
a reply to: markosity1973

You forgot Live USB on that list as well. There are two types of Live USB: persistent and non-persistent.

When you make a Live USB with persistence enabled, the thumb drive acts like a hard drive where you can update the OS and install apps and it will keep your settings. Just as it would on a hard drive.

Non-persistent will act just like a Live CD where no settings or app installs will be saved.

Yeah I forgot that one

I have never tried it though - I've always struggled with getting the USB to write a bootable ISO. (I'm probably using the wrong software)

I think I will await these instructions of yours and give it a go too - a non persistent USB system sounds really cool - you can basically take your OS and files wherever you go and plug her in and fire it up.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Unetbootin is an excellent and free ISO installer for making bootable USB drives. It can also load up on an HDD.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

Ubuntu or Fedora.
Once you are advanced user, look into Kali linunx.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora
a reply to: Unity_99

Debian with the Cinnamon desktop is both extremely stable and good looking.

I chose Debian because so many derivatives have come from it. Ubuntu and LinuxMint are Debian based, Kali is Debian based, ZorinOS, and several others.

Debian is one of the longest standing and supported Linux distros out there. There's a wealth of information for it, it's easy to configure, and when you learn the command line side of things the system becomes a powerful tool rather than just a platform for browsing cat pictures on the internet.

I have looked into it in the past, a few years back. Don't feel like doing the coding part, and if they've got one thats like mint linux to ubuntu, then it would be nice to try out. I used to be a lot more into learning curve of linux, and we put our computers together, but my nerves can't take it anymore. It has to work.

Also I've tried Mandriva, Fedora, Sabayonlinux, Suse, and Suse was pretty good except that little draco sign at the beginning should a warning to anyone who likes to put their distro's on the partitions they want and not have Suse dictate where its going to go. Its solid and nice but anaconda is not my favorite install thing.

Tex has done an outstanding job on Pclinuxos since its beginnings. Just one of the best. I'd buy it if it was for sale. I've run games on it in wine for years. But dual boot due to some things that kids like, that now work good in linux too, like sims and steam....
It remains my all time favorite and its on my computer right now. Its on my computer most of the time.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I didn't code anything when I installed Debian.

I used Mandriva back when they still called it Mandrake. It was supposed to be the most user friendly. Since then many other flavors of Linux have come and gone and left Mandriva behind. The old hat Linux distros like Debian have stepped up their game quite a bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join