It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Gang Member Tried As Terrorist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
This would, by definition of the Patriot Act, qualify said gang member as a terroist....though depending on the charges of the other 18 guys, I wonder if they would fall into the "terrorist" category.

Aack, this country is painful......

1. He wasn't tried under the Patriot Act. He has been charged with violation of a different law enacted by the state of New York.

2. The right to interpret the law rests with courts. It is within the power, and in fact the responsibility of the courts to determine the application of lackthereof of a terrorism law outside of its original intent. In short: this is EXACTLY why we have judicial review.

3. If the courts fail to interpret the law correctly, depending on which state the law is in, it may be possible to pass a law by referendum which ammends the definitions and in effect over-rules the court decision, unless the court finds the new law to be unconstitutional.
So that's what really needs to be done; states that have a referendum process need to push changes of definition for terrorism through.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Thanks for that; my knowledge continues to grow

However, at this stage in the game, I don't see anyone pushing for a clarification of a word that, to them essentially means "bad." The world is is defined by the loudest voice and the population can manage a whisper to the Bellyaching of the ruling class....sigh....

[edit on 14-1-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Kudos to all here. This is one one my favorite threads - appreciate the quality of discussion, information and argument. Thanks.

...My sense - ongoing criticism is crucial - and then use the legal system if necessary to correct flaws. But DON'T sit back quietly and wait for some authority or another to notice that things are awry and take care of biz. Won't happen. That's our job as responsible active citizens.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join