It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Might Be Free, But Your Privacy Is Priceless

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Beware of geeks bearing gifts

Although free, Windows 10 comes packed with some concerning new ‘features’.

As Windows 10 is launched and downloaded across the globe by early adopters eager to experience the new operating system, a word of caution is needed.

Microsoft, who are no stranger to privacy issues, have installed some worrying new features as default on Windows 10.

You may recall that in 2013 it was revealed that Microsoft worked closely with the National Security Agency (NSA) to allow them to access encrypted messages in Outlook and Hotmail.

Read more www.acclaimednews.com
edit on Wed Jul 29 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
While I value privacy and freedom highly, I get the feeling this is nothing more than a mud-slinging article.

"Haters gonna hate..."

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: newsaddict

I do not have anything to hide...

I am upgrading to windows 10, when I goto bed...

Most people that are paranoid usually are doing something wrong...

I don't agree with invasion of my privacy but if it is happening it is nice to know I am not doing anything wrong..

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Your linky link is broken bud. However I would love to read all about it once fixed.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude on Windows 10. I usually like to wait until the first service pack is done, you know, the one that works out all the bugs. Heh heh!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Cortana is different from Siri or google assistant how?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I was considering the upgrade, but wow after reading your posted article, it looks really really bad!!!!! How long can we hold out with earlier versions? Anyway it sounds way too invasive. When will people figure out that Gates is a sellout to the NWO. He is also pushing Common Core Standards with high stakes testing which gives Pearson and Microsoft a lot of cashola and then there's the big data warehouse in Utah which will store massive amounts of personal data of children and their families.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 29-7-2015 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The problem with the article is that it makes it sound that if you don't get windows 10 than you will have privacy. Which is bogus, that information can already be had by other measures regardless what operating system you utilize.

The bottom line is if its electronic and connected you likely don't have any privacy.

Yes, you can Tor, vpn, encrypt, and take other measures but at the end of the day: he who owns the infrastructure and can legally force people to turn data over to them in secret already has your data.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

2 words....What privacy?

That's been stolen long ago.

Good thread!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
There is a big catch to the 'free' windows 10 upgrade.

Windows 10: Here are the privacy issues you should know about- Next Web

Cortana is a sexy spy in the machine
Data syncing by default
Whatever happens, Microsoft knows what you’re doing…
Advertisers will know exactly who you are - Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and ad networks to profile you. Again, you can turn this off in settings,
Your encryption key is backed up to OneDrive

I personally think thats the stupidest thing i have heard - NSA have full access to OneDrive, so your encryption key is right there backed up.

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm not worried about privacy, it's more a matter of all the programs that won't run on an upgraded system. Windows 10 might be free, but the updates on all the other programs I have are not. On a PC, it's always good to have a dual hard drive system anyway, one with Windows and the other with Linux.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

The problem with the article is that it makes it sound that if you don't get windows 10 than you will have privacy. Which is bogus, that information can already be had by other measures regardless what operating system you utilize.

The bottom line is if its electronic and connected you likely don't have any privacy.

Yes, you can Tor, vpn, encrypt, and take other measures but at the end of the day: he who owns the infrastructure and can legally force people to turn data over to them in secret already has your data.

RIght Menwith Hill is already collecting everything, but they do use keywords to flag things. Why make it easier for them?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Why make it easier for them?

Never said to. However, like I said in my previous post the article makes it sound that without windows 10 you have privacy which is not the case.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well what operating system should people use that's secure? Besides Linux.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, are all in bed with the government now a days. Its sad yes and in many circumstances is an infringement on 4th Ammendment rights. But oh well let's keep voting for the big government folk and corporate sellouts.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Privacy went out the window a long time ago, and we let it happen. It is now nothing but an illusion.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Cortana could be my best friend if she worked

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm not up to date anymore. What happened to Windows 9? Have I completed missed something?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76

I do not have anything to hide...

I am upgrading to windows 10, when I goto bed...

Most people that are paranoid usually are doing something wrong...

I don't agree with invasion of my privacy but if it is happening it is nice to know I am not doing anything wrong..

What on earth makes you thing you will be the one who decides whether or not you have done anything wrong of have anything to hide???

Don't people realise that the first people to decide if you has done anything wrong or has something to hide will be someone sitting in front of a computer screen christ knows where in the world.

The second people who will determine if you have done anything wrong or has something to hide will be be a couple of in-your-face cops interrogating you in a police station. After that it might be court that decides if you have done anything wrong or has something to hide. What you think will not come into the equation at all.

You, my friend are the lamb with two wolves deciding what to have for dinner can't you see that? .

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Anyone see the latest Terminator film?
Makes one go Hmmmmmm.
Wait until it links with Apple and Google on its own.
Then we're all hooped.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

Very dangerous way to look at it.

While I'm not agree with the OP, what I'm saying is people who use that phrase end up regretting it almost straight away. You dont need to be hiding anything to be entitled to have your privacy, that is your God given right and we are currently losing them one by one every few months, and the main problem is, most people are using that same dangerous phrase. I'm glad that you have nothing to hide and that you are following the law to the letter but is there a message that you wouldn't want someone to read, maybe you said something on Facebook or another social media site that could be twisted and used to label you a bigot (I'm not calling you that).

When you use that phrase "If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be worried" or anything similar to that you're giving the politicians whose own privacy is no doubt going to be protected due to National Security, you give them the ammunition to take more and more away from you. Like I said, I'm glad you believe you have nothing to hide but there is no human being alive who is truly 100% innocent, there is and will no doubt be something that can be used against you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join