It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austin City Council Votes To Ban BBQ Restaurants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I love the smell of BBQ, don't get me wrong. But not all people like the smell of BBQ.

But good or bad was not specified. The same principle would apply, would it not?

Property rights are property rights regardless of whether or not the intrusion is pleasant or not.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's just NIMBYism at its best.

Another example is how they wanted to have an offshore windfarm around the Cape Cod area, but all those fine folks got upset because the windmills would have ruined their fine, expensive views.

They all LOVE the environment and windfarms, of course ... just not when THEY have to be inconvenienced by them.

I'll bet this would be the same. These folks likely all LOVE their Q, but they sure don't want it in their backyard. And when they can't get it anymore because they've gotten the city council to regulate it out of existence, they'll be the very first to whine and complain.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I thought we were constitutionalists around here? Don't we believe in personal property rights and personal responsibility?

Shhh, don't point out their hypocrisies!
They're constitution waving "Libertarians", but the rights of the individual against business and government only matters when it's a big bad commie liberal business or gubment!

Don't you dare suggest that a conservative might be one of those complaining about their personal property and home being damaged by that lovely smoking!

/sarc

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It was the the residents that built there homes there before the restaurant was there that complained in the first place.
edit on 29-7-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I love the smell of BBQ, don't get me wrong. But not all people like the smell of BBQ.

But good or bad was not specified. The same principle would apply, would it not?

Property rights are property rights regardless of whether or not the intrusion is pleasant or not.

Like I said, fine. Close the smoke makers(which dissipate) and open the smell creators(no smoke) and see what they think then. The smell of killing peoples meals will REALLY put a crimp on THEIR BBQ.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's just NIMBYism at its best.

Yeah, and in this case the restaurant actually did arrive there AFTER the people bought their homes.

I take it you wouldn't give a damn if any kind of business opened right next door to you.

Nah, we know that's not true, it would have to meet with your approval and not impose on your life or offend your political/religious/moralistic beliefs. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Libertarians/Conservatives love to preach, but they're so easily exposed as hypocrites.

edit on 29-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I understand the difference. What I believe is being missed is that the people of the area complained about this issue, the city council did their job and acted on their behalf. The BBQ joint can comply with requirements to rectify the problem, or they can shut down.

That's how civilized society works when the people have rights.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
As a property owner, could I have large vats of cabbage cooking in my yard with industrial sized fans blowing the smell of sick people's gassy farts over to the BBQ restaurants while their patrons are eating? Just wonderin'

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OK so the property owners have their rights ... I get it.

Explain to me then how this is not a zoning issue, but instead requires a blanket ordinance for the ENTIRE city?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Another example would be folks living in a nice little mountain area with a nice little view of the valley, etc, and a company wants to come in and start strip mining the mountain across the way.

I'd have a problem, too.

Of course, A BBQ joint is different than a massive scale corporate endeavor (wind farm OR strip mining), so they're not really comparable.

But yes, people don't want it in their backyards, and people don't want to be inconvenienced, but they *want* convenience. The problem (and likely hypocrisy) is that they don't mind if it is in *other* people's backyards, just not their own (but we don't know how they feel about that).

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I thought we were constitutionalists around here? Don't we believe in personal property rights and personal responsibility?

Shhh, don't point out their hypocrisies!
They're constitution waving "Libertarians", but the rights of the individual against business and government only matters when it's a big bad commie liberal business or gubment!

Don't you dare suggest that a conservative might be one of those complaining about their personal property and home being damaged by that lovely smoking!

/sarc

Funny man! Austin Texas is one of Texas' few majority democrat counties.
www.traviscountyclerk.org...

The City Council election is nonpartisan, but check these bios!
www.statesman.com...
"community activist"
"environmental activist"
"Worker defense project"
"Civic activist"

The problem here is obviously that Austin's city council lacks libertarians and, thus, is making authoritarian rulings related to BBQ smells.

Do you homework, please.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The only problem I would have with smelling BBQ all the time is that my nose would get used to it and I couldn't appreciate it as I do now. Kinda there now. All my neighbor BBQ.

Oh and when(not 'if') people come up with an "if" argument, why? Let's deal with facts. I didn't like Narnia. Fiction has it's time and place.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

OK so the property owners have their rights ... I get it.

Explain to me then how this is not a zoning issue, but instead requires a blanket ordinance for the ENTIRE city?

Good point. It *is* a zoning issue, true, but it becomes an ordinance so that when it involves a certain location it doesn't have to go through the same BS every time?

Like a noise ordinance, for instance. Instead of taking the issue to council every single time one arises, an ordinance is set that says, hey, "you can't have loud music blasting from an establishment that can be heard more than X feet away, or from the hours of X and Y."

Very similar.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
a reply to: introvert

Its obviously over your head.
Pointless.

Enjoy your PC tofu tacos

How to prepare Tofu.
Step 1: Throw it in the trash.
Step 2: Grill some meat.

Quoted for truth
, lol that was great.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Except here they are looking at an ordinance that has the potential to more or less kill one of Austin's signature food scenes. There are some legendary BBQ spots in and around Austin, and the secret is to have a pit smoker.

If they really cared about Austin's food scene and unique BBQ culture, you would think the hassle of zoning would be a more balanced approach to this problem.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Except here they are looking at an ordinance that has the potential to more or less kill one of Austin's signature food scenes. There are some legendary BBQ spots in and around Austin, and the secret is to have a pit smoker.

That's my point. These places pay a LOT of taxes. They can afford to because they are busy. What happens when they aren't busy? They shut down. That tax money goes away and it's going to have to made up somewhere.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: johnwick

amen! city people...good excuse to move people who dont love a good pork shoulder away from me...and i always accept a beer for some pulled pork...come on over!

Now i'm getting hungry, pulled pork!!! Yum yum yum.

Or a nice brisket, or some real beer brats with the onions and bell peppers,

Back on topic, I just don't get it, I lived by a BBQ place once, it didn't bother me a bit, it just made my grilling experience more of a competition as I tried to make mine smell better.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick
I just don't get it, I lived by a BBQ place once, it didn't bother me a bit, it just made my grilling experience more of a competition as I tried to make mine smell better.

I lived OVER one for almost 2 years. Same building. No issue. Except I put on about 30 pounds.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hopefully shutting down BBQ places will catch on through out the nation. That way the cuts of meat will go down in price and I'll be able to afford to buy more.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
I bet everything I own that the people complaining aren't from Texas.

Austin is being inundated with people from all over the country, primarily from the west coast, ruining the city with their nonsense.

If they run Franklin's out of town, I hope they move to Dallas. We'd love to have them here.

Probably came from right here in Massachusetts.

Please accept our humble apologies.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join