It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP Fast-Tracks Bill To Defund Planned Parenthood

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
really all of this makes me wonder, just what is going on that they are hoping we will be distracted enough by this not to notice? what did obama do in africa while he was there? ya know, things like that.

still wish we could find a typist that is employed to type out some of these 50 page laws that congress passes that would be willing to add in a few lines here and there. no one would notice, at least not till it was passed, and well, then what could they do? admit that they signed the danged thing without reading it first? that defense doesn't work with any of us!
one of those lines I'd like to see slip in is that for everyday that they shut down the gov't for stupid reasons like this, they lose 3 days pay!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
I'll be surprised if it gets far.
personally I kind of agree with the hyde amendment. Enough people have strong feelings about abortion taxpayer money should be used for it. I just don't agree that it should be automatically assumed that organizations like planned parenthood are lying when they say that the money they get from the gov't is being used for abortions.
after all, we are supposed to be innocent till proven guilty. and well planned parenthood have seen their days in courts so many times, well it should have been proven by now if they were lying about it!

(post by CB328 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I do know that this is a subtle point, but it is an incredibly important one: there is simply no such thing as "taxpayer dollars" except up until the exact moment that taxes are paid. From that moment, and every moment after that, those funds become "government revenue."

The point in the process that we "the taxpayer" get to be directly involved in the process is at two points: a) we elect our Representatives at whatever level whose job it is to structure "government spending" and b) we can share our individual beliefs, thoughts, positions with our Representative without expecting that we are going to get our way.

Anything else, any other way of looking at the situation, is ludicrous. To say "I don't want my tax dollars going for x" is on the exact same level as telling a cop or a soldier or a teacher "You have to do thus-and-so because I pay your salary!"

To say it another way, let's say in my personal life, I have three sources of revenue: A, B and C.

I deposit income from all three sources in my checking account.

I go to the grocery store to buy bread and milk. Do I write a check from Source A for the bread and Source C for the milk?

Of course not. I write a check.

Otherwise we have the current silliness:

You don't want "your tax money" to support women's healthcare and abortion?

Well, I don't want "my tax money" to subsidize religion.

You don't want "your tax dollars" to help my State build a road?

Well, I don't want "my tax dollars" to help your State shore up a crumbling waterway.

We have a democratic Republic with political power distributed between the National, State and Local levels, for a reason.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
The GOP can't survive without a lot of uneducated Americans to vote for them. Family planning decreases the amount of poor people, so to them it's a big threat. That's what this is all about.

Sadly, this is the exact same argument that the Republicans use.

I don't think the issue is about party as much as it is about power.

Anti-choicers want to control what other people, specifically women, do ... they want to apply their own religious/ethical beliefs to everyone.

To a large degree, these are the same folks that lost on marriage equality, that's why they're so rabid for "a win."

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I wouldn't be surprised if what they want is enough of a population of younger people to take care of the boomers once they get old and need taken care of. and they just don't like the idea of importing a bunch off immigrants to get those caretakers.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Great start, now all the have to do is defund the IRS, Federal Reserve, BATFE, Homeland Security, EPA, Departments of :Energy, Commerce, Interior, Education, and Housing and Urban Development

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wow, I think I have actually found something that we agree upon. I do not want to live in a society that limits my personal choices based upon other's idealistic views.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I personally think they needed a win after their historic loss on marriage equality ... but I wish they had chosen a less fraudulent cause to "get behind."

This is going to be two in a row for them ... credibility is slipping and America likes winners!

3 in a row, they lost on the Iran deal too.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I personally think they needed a win after their historic loss on marriage equality ... but I wish they had chosen a less fraudulent cause to "get behind."

This is going to be two in a row for them ... credibility is slipping and America likes winners!

3 in a row, they lost on the Iran deal too.

Good point, although they're still simmering on that one.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
Wow, I think I have actually found something that we agree upon. I do not want to live in a society that limits my personal choices based upon other's idealistic views.

Depends on what you mean by "personal choices" but, in general, sounds good to me!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

as a rule, it's usually the other way around. Isn't it?

No, educated people are more liberal than uneducated ones who tend to be more conservative.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

as a rule, it's usually the other way around. Isn't it?

No, educated people are more liberal than uneducated ones who tend to be more conservative.

And even with all that education, they're still stupid.

lolz

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

lolz

Educated viewpoints often come across as dumb to those who don't know any better.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: beezzer

lolz

Educated viewpoints often come across as dumb to those who don't know any better.

And finally, the "educated" policies have done the most social/economic damage throughout history.

The bigger the head, the bigger the damage.

1929 and 2008 were not caused by uneducated morons were they?

How 'bout WW1 and WW2 ?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
And finally, the "educated" policies have done the most social/economic damage throughout history.

The bigger the head, the bigger the damage.

1929 and 2008 were not caused by uneducated morons were they?

How 'bout WW1 and WW2 ?

1929 and 2008 are what you get when you allow people to put their own well being ahead of the well being of society, which happens to be a concept that most educated people recognize as being flawed. It takes some real "geniuses" to legalize throwing depositors bank accounts onto Wall Street, and then making those same depositors be on the hook for the losses.

If you want to talk about the most damage in history, I would point to the uprising leading to the Russian famine where the masses who had zero skills, killed everyone that knew how to do anything, and brought upon themselves mass starvation and ruin.

Sounds pretty similar to the rhetoric today doesn't it, where the have not's are fed up and want to dismantle those who are better off.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Massive deflection failure.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

And all those "geniuses" have the college degrees that you so cherish.

Political Science (oxymoron) -- check

Accounting -- check

Masters of Business Administration -- check

Law degree -- check

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join