It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Channel Tunnel: '2,000 migrants' tried to enter

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: DiddyMcC0y
I actually get sick reading some of the comments, people are running towards hope from despair. And all you do is sit on your fat privileged asses and complain.

I hear ya, and there has to be a way to provide assistance and safety for them. But I'm not sure what they are doing now is the answer. All people have value, and that includes those lives of the people they are taking advantage of, ya know? While we must consider the well being of those seeking asylum, we must also consider the lives of the others.

I wonder if the UK could set up some kind of refugee camp for them to stay until more permanent circumstances can be located? Surely there is a fair solution.

Why? The people are in a safe nation and are no longer fleeing oppression. They choose not to claim asylum in France and choose not to receive asylum seeker support from the French authorities.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So again Britain supported those wars or supporting/funding rebels/terrorists & starting wars causing those country's be destroyed and in chaos but they are just lucky that they are far away compared like for example Italy or Spain from the Middle East.
Unluckily though we have a tunnel though so it is a little bit more easy to get to Britain..
If they came as with as many as in Italy for example, I wonder what Britain would do? They would most likely ask for HELP from other EU country's, relieving them from this burden.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
*sits on the other side of the Atlantic munching popcorn*

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

Hmm, interesting opinion.
The tunnel can be defended with the increased resources, and I don't see the UK asking for help from the EU any time soon.
I guess you'll have to suck it up as well, or take your whining to the UN because Britain is meeting all its international obligations.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Perhaps France then, is the country who needs to set up a refugee camp for them.

(Please understand I'm not claiming any type superiority here ---- I live in the U.S. and everyone here went nuts when we had CHILDREN from Central American coming in seeking refuge. And they are Children! Catholics! and their parents want to WORK! Nobody is worse than us. : (

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If these people are granted asylum its just going to encourage millions of people still trying to get out of Africa and the Middle East to come to the UK. Honesty, with the state of our public service, our low skilled labour market and the divisions in our society, would that be a smart decision to make? We have currently around 200,000 + people a year coming into the UK through legal immigration. That alone is a too high and needs to be brought down.

People need to understand that we aren't an Unlimited Utopia.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Sure defending a tunnel should not be that hard. It's really a tiny problem compared with other EU country's. Britain got it way easy but probably complain and whine the most!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

Well seeing as you have the exact same problem with your southern border I would expect some sympathy

edit on 1-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Ah that's cool, and I agree, if people fleeing oppression make it to the UK as their first safe country then I welcome their asylum application, and advocate for our government to provide support for them.
But these people are not fleeing oppression now, they are in a safe nation, France.

They choose not to claim asylum in France. They choose to live in a shanty camp while they plot their attempts to enter the UK illegally.
It is the problem of France. All the UK has to do is lawfully defend its border.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Punisher75

Well seeing as you have the exact same problem with your southern border I would expect some sympathy

Oh you have it completely I am just waiting for the cries of racism, and for folks to start being accused of being a prejudiced southern rednecks. LOL
Not to put to fine a point of it but do you guys have billboards up yet that say "La Raza"?
edit on 1-8-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

(post by Pluginn removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

Sure defending a tunnel should not be that hard. It's really a tiny problem compared with other EU country's. Britain got it way easy but probably complain and whine the most!

Who is complaining and whining? I only see that from the bleeding hearts in this thread.
Personally I am rather happy that I live on an island nation and the government intends to defend the only weakness in our border, the French side of the tunnel.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

So you don't complain or whine about people coming to the UK?? nice, that's all settled then, my mistake.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

They choose not to claim asylum in France. They choose to live in a shanty camp while they plot their attempts to enter the UK illegally.
It is the problem of France. All the UK has to do is lawfully defend its border.

So what your basically saying is that these desperate people should either risk being drowned in the sea, or just be Frances problem to deal with?

England have no obligation to accept any asylum seeker who wasn't prepared to risk being drowned by taking the long route?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

So you don't complain or whine about people coming to the UK?? nice, that's all settled then, my mistake.
Oh don't be silly now, I'm not whining about that, I am pleased it is a French problem.
I'm also celebrating the intent of the UK government to defend its border.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Defend it's waters you mean (&1 tunnel)

# the UK anyways!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

So what your basically saying is that these desperate people should either risk being drowned in the sea, or just be Frances problem to deal with?

England have no obligation to accept any asylum seeker who wasn't prepared to risk being drowned by taking the long route?

It is their choice alone.
They are in a safe country and international conventions are that they should claim asylum when they are safe.
France is obliged to offer support and assistance when they claim asylum.
They CHOOSE not to do so.

The UK has no obligation to do anything except lawfully defend its border.
If someone takes the stupid risk of drowning by choosing to leave a safe country because they prefer to be in another safe country then tough. I don't care.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
....wonder why so many Indian people are in the UK?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Seems some how or other you want to blame France for the influx, and it's not their fault the fleeing people don't want to stay there. Hell, if is were me, I'd rather be in England. : )

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It is up to France to control its own borders. Most of the folk in Calais arrived in other safe nations like Italy or Greece, then traveled through France.
Wanting to be in the UK when you are in another safe country is a different situation completely to fleeing oppression and seeking help when you enter a safe nation.

The UK has no obligation to take people from a safe nation, but the safe nation has an obligation to provide support if the people claim asylum.
The people in Calais are choosing to not claim asylum, yet they are in a safe country.
The UK has no obligations to take in migrants from a safe country.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join