It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Prolonged Standing At Work Can Lead To Long-Term Health Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

We’ve heard the health dangers of sitting too much at work, but working on your feet all day could also be trouble.
A new study finds standing five hours a day contributes to long-term back pain and musculoskeletal disorders.

While the risks of short-term problems from standing for long periods, like leg cramps and backaches, have been known, this study wanted to find out if prolonged standing also contributed to longer-term health issues.

The participants were equally likely to experience significant fatigue at the end of the work day, no matter their age or gender. The researchers also noted clear signs of muscle fatigue, even a half hour after the standing period ended.

Slinky

It's official!! -- work is a detriment to everyone's health!! Whether you sit, stand or break up your day, please stop working immediately!! I implore all of you reading this to call in sick tomorrow, and the rest of the week. Feel free to cite this study as your reason!

***Please note: This study does not pertain to astronauts, swimmers, skydivers nor trampolinists!!!***

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

All I can say is we have become the biggest bunch of sissies in the 21st century. Instead of mundane asinine studies...how about we feed the poor and educate the masses? Nah why do that when its so much better used as political fodder

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Prolonged work can cause health issues.

I've been in mine, various positions, for 39 years. Health issues beyond belief.

Time to retire.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That would explain things. I used to stand all day at factories I worked at. Now my back is a mess and so are my knees.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I call it life...sure you do too. Cant believe how much money we throw away in order to discover the obvious

a reply to: Ultralight

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
But you had to know that was the price. ...right? I mean seriously nobody needed this study to recognize life is hard

a reply to: Skid Mark

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

All I can say is we have become the biggest bunch of sissies in the 21st century. Instead of mundane asinine studies...how about we feed the poor and educate the masses? Nah why do that when its so much better used as political fodder

How honorable of you to consider feeding the poor!

I feel like that response is a ploy for stars.
If I dont star it, then I obviously dont care about the poor and unedumacated.
If I do star it, then I fall for your dirty trap.

Oh well, looks like the poor and unedumacated miss out again!

[this thread was made in jest]

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There will be a disease associated with this and a big pharma company peddling some medicine with Y,Z,X or Q in the name soon. Long live pandering.
edit on 28-7-2015 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

right...I give two SH%ts about stars...how old are you?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

right...I give two SH%ts about stars...how old are you?

Did you miss the part where he said made in jest?
You coming out the corner swingin.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

This is very true.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Not my intent....I was simply stating how droll all this is becoming...no offense intended

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Work is work, I get it. What studies like this will hopefully guide is future policies of various companies. So many jobs out there where I see the person standing for eight to twelve hours at a time and I'm like "Why don't you have a stool?" and then find out they aren't allowed to have one.

It's just silly and unnecessary most of the time. I'd rather have a checkout person who's smiling atop a stool than one who's standing there, grimacing in pain. Sitting and standing are both silly to do for eight hours at a time. Especially when it's not really required for the job.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

That would explain things. I used to stand all day at factories I worked at. Now my back is a mess and so are my knees.
I'm 50 and i known this for years. Standing in a shop on hard concrete for hours hurts!
I could be working right now but a lot of places are on this 12 hour a day thing. 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on 3 days off crap. I tried it and I just cannot function after a few days of this. it's great if you are young, but as a older man NO!

I want to work but that is too much on me.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Work is work, I get it. What studies like this will hopefully guide is future policies of various companies. So many jobs out there where I see the person standing for eight to twelve hours at a time and I'm like "Why don't you have a stool?" and then find out they aren't allowed to have one.

It's just silly and unnecessary most of the time. I'd rather have a checkout person who's smiling atop a stool than one who's standing there, grimacing in pain. Sitting and standing are both silly to do for eight hours at a time. Especially when it's not really required for the job.

Ok, on a serious note...I'll give a piece of me.
I sit most of the day. Our new building will be finished in November, and will have sit-to-stand working stations so we have the option throughout the day to do whats comfortable for us, as individuals. It makes sense to make the workplace employee-friendly but it doesnt always make sense with regards to the "bottomline".

I'm 6'7" so Backpain and I are old friends. I wouldnt lose sleep if we never cross paths again!
edit on 0102x6701America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Prior news in the past year or so was if you sit too long-more than about half hour or sometimes 15 minutes, it causes severe problems. Then the latest was down to if you sit at all. With that some company was advertising a standing computer desk with all the standing ready amenities.

Had jobs where I had to stand all day, had back pain and foot pain when young. Had others where I sat all day-desk jobs-pain too and a sluggish feeling later on. Found less pain overall with a happy medium in employment of standing and sitting.

edit on 28-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
As a mild back pain and leg sufferer I feel sorry for those guards and general bounder type works who *have* to stand all day. That sucks so much, particularly if you suffer the pain associated with standing too long.

You won't understand any of this if you're young, you can stand all day then.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Most of the work I've done has been up on my feet.Active work like walking, and standing where you can shift positions hasn't been too rough.I found the standing only really got to me when I had to stay in one spot, and do repetitive work.If you have a job like that, perhaps find something small to elevate one leg.A section of 4x4,6x6, or whatever you can find to elevate one foot slightly can really help.Switching legs from time to time, and stretching periodically feels good too.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
How to counter balance a very unphysical job:

- go for a jog
- go to gym
- walk more often
- have a healthy alkaline diet
- do breath work upon waking up and prior to bed

- do sets of push ups, crunches, sit ups, weightless squats

There is 24 hours in a day. Recommended everyone gets around 8 hours of rest.

24 - 8 = 16

Typical job is 8-12 hours full time. One should have 8-4 hours to do any of the above in a daily routine.

I did enjoy your humor though

new topics

top topics

join