It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pros and cons of rooting or jail breaking your cell phone.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This may not be the proper forum ( may I suggest a mobile device forum? ), still I couldn't find a more obvious one to post this in.

So, does anyone wanna weigh in on the pros and cons of rooting or jail breaking your cell phone? I'm more interested in the pro side of jail breaking my iPhone 6, but discussing either side is fine.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Rooting... disable ads on this device. DONE

worth it right there.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've been considering rooting my phone but don't know if I'll have an issue come upgrade time (I'll have to turn this one in)....does anyone know?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You unroot and restore to factory settings. It's just a click.

a reply to: mikeone718

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Apparently everyone and there mother knows how to do this, anyone wanna explain how?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ok. So far we've got less ads and easy to restore. Any other reasons they're worth rooting?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

You get to delete preloaded apps that take up space

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Yes I've read that. That's a real bonus for me at least. I also like the customization a jail broken iPhone offers.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Rooting Android devices increases the functionality of your phone or tablet. You can install Linux based operating systems and run them in chroot. You can use services otherwise not available like telnet and SSH, you can uninstall the prepackaged bloatware, disable in app ads, download and install 3rd party apps, and a whole hose of other useful features.

Some services like Tracfone, Straight Talk, and others will not allow any attempt at root access.

Make sure the rooting system you are using is compatible with your phone, and your Android OS version. No doing so can risk bricking your phone or tablet(turning it into a brick...i.e. Broke.
edit on 2872015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I would search for directions on how to root your specific device. I soft bricked my LG g3 once but I was able to restore and reroot. If you can follow directions, you can do it.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Native tethering bypassing your carriers hotspot fee. Installation of xposed framework and minminguard module which disables the majority of ad's seen in your free apps you download. List goes on. Ahh.. another nice xposed module is xprivacy. It allows you to micro manage every apps privacy settings.

27 Best root apps 2015
edit on 28-7-2015 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay
At&t can tell if you tether. There really isn't any reason to tether these days your phone has multiple ways of sending files.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Maybe I should of asked if these actions require a person to have some type of software or hardware?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87
There are many rooting methods. You have to select the correct one for you based on your device. There are simple one click root methods. However when I had to unbrick my phone I needed programs on my laptop.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

I used everything single iPhone up until now via a jailbreak on prepaid networks. I LOVED it. I paid less than a contract but I had far more options!

The only thing I didn't have was data unless I was somewhere that had free wifi but for me it was far cheaper than signing my soul to a contract.

I have Verizon and the only reason I have an iPhone now is because my ex mother in law gave me her phone last year. I don't have to have a contract because I own the phone. No need to jail break it.

I remember when I had my previous iPhones I use to get into lovely debates with ATT in the store. They had no clue how their phone worked let alone the iPhone. They use to get so annoyed that i had an iPhone on prepaid. They tried to tell me it wouldn't work but it worked just fine. I never had one issue with them.

SO the only con for me then was not having data access.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It all comes down to personal responsibility or corporate hand-holding. If you root your phone you are potentially overriding the protections built into the OS as you can make changes and install non-approved applications. That being said, if you believe that the responsibility for your device is yours alone, then you should be able to evaluate and control your computer without 'training wheels'. Generally, as the OS and rooting only affects the software, worst case, you to a total restore or reinstall of the OS and your are back to where you started originally.

Just My Opinion

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish
Sorry, I'm not even a layman when it comes to this subject but have always been curious. I think from what I understand, you can do it over the internet or download a program to do it? What of Windows based phones?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: amsterdamn87
I have no idea if you can do this to a windows phone. But, your first step should be research on the different ways available for your specific device.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Rooting gives you a lot more freedom with the phone. However, some apps won't work on a rooted device, sch as banking apps, for obvious reasons. For me, having the ability to type in a five digit pin to check my balance and transactions justifies me not rooting it. But, if you don't care about this then definitely root your device - it's hella fun. Check out Dsploit, it's a fun tool that. In fact, most of the cool tools only work on rooted devices

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Root is termed used for Android Users while jail breaking is for IOS users. Rooting is basically acquiring admin privilege. If you own a smart phone then you are not a admin of it. You can unleash few feature or modify your pre installed App. You can install custom ROMs too. For all this process you need to root or jailbreak your smartphone.

Cons of Rooting.

1. you may brick your device.
2. Data loss might happen.
3. warranty will no longer prevail.

Pros of Rooting.

1. You can delete pre installed App thus getting more free space.
2. Custom Roms are available.
3. Many Apps require Root previlege. Like Clash of clans Mod. You would be able to install some awesome Apps.
4. Increase in Battery life and efficiency.

Cydia is best tool for jail breaking IOS and for Android there are lots of Apps
If you want you can easily Root Android without PC. software like kingoroot provide best one click Root.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join