It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magician and the Greatest Illusion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The Magician and the Greatest Illusion

Who doesn't love a good illusion? That depends. What do you call an illusion?

An illusion by definition is that which we think we see is not really there.

What do you see that you think is real?

I think illusion is itself an illusion.

What is real? What you don't see. That is the trick in every illusion, right?

When you can't see it, how can you prove it? Asking for quantifiable, verifiable proof is an illusion.

Having faith in that which you can not see is an illusion.

Oh, but the truth...and the proof...what would we do if we actually figure out the illusion?

Now you see it, now you don't...poof goes the illusion and the truth and the proof disappear behind a dark cloud of smoke and mirrors.

Everything you think you know is an illusion. You hear it? Illusion. Taste it? Illusion.

Subjective, perspective, selective, objective...misdirection, obfuscation, consternation, cooperation...delusional, factual, confrontational, criminal...reality, fantasy, creativity, fallacy: All are used to facilitate illusions and provide stimulus for your mind to believe what you think you see, hear and taste are real.

Holographic Universe? Maybe. Alien experiment? Maybe.
A cruel joke by GOD? Maybe. Human? Maybe.

Maybe Not. Maybe it is all just an illusion. The rules we are expected to live by? Illusion? Where did these rules come from? Did you read them in a book? Where you taught them in religious school? How do you decide what is right and what is wrong?

If I say something is wrong and you disagree, who is right? Every culture has rules and beliefs and every religion has rules and beliefs, every human is still human regardless, so, what makes your religion or culture better than mine?

The better the illusion the more believable it is?

History as we have been taught is completely true? All of it? Every thing you see in a book or on television is real? You believe all of it? I don't. I think and believe what I don't see has more truth in it. Why? Because I am not fooled by the illusion.

Tell me life is an illusion, tell me death is an illusion, tell me everything is an illusion, I won't argue with you.

Tell me I am hypocritical, tell me what you are reading is an illusion, tell me what I am saying is delusional, tell me the meaning of my words are confrontational and irrational.

Go ahead tell me everything I think and believe is ridiculous. I can take it. Defensive? Condescending? Sure. Why not. Have at it if it helps you.

Pick it all apart with your critical, convoluted way of thinking. I do not care one bit. Okay. I lied. I care. Sue me. I give a crap about my fellow humans and the souls that inhabit these vessels of imperfection.

I am a illusion, but I am not the magician.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Death and a "Creator" are the wild cards.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Everyone who doesn't simply lay down and wait for death believes in something for which there is no proof. Even if it's nothing more than the notion that love or life matters at all (beliefs for which there is no objective proof.) Therefore I always say, "Allow people (myself included) their illusions."

Peace.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Everything you think you know is an illusion. You hear it? Illusion. Taste it? Illusion.

Self-refuting, self-contradicting, self-exploding, self-destructing argument.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Says you. Fortunately your opinion is an illusion. Poof. See how easy that was?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Your wish has been granted. Permission to carry on in your illusion!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Says you. Fortunately your opinion is an illusion. Poof. See how easy that was?

See how easy calling something an illusion is? You're really breaking new profound ground here. Bravo.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Sorry Buddhism was invented already.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Any discussion of magicians and illusion is woefully
incomplete without this excerpt, which I find
utterly delightful and quote whenever possible:

"THE PRINCE AND THE MAGICIAN
from The Magus by John Fowles

Once upon a time there was a young prince, who believed in all things but three. He did not believe in princesses, he did not believe in islands, he did not believe in God. His father, the king, told him that such things did not exist. As there were no princesses or islands in his father's domaines, and no sign of God, the young prince believed his father.

But then, one day, the prince ran away from his palace. He came to the next land. There, to his astonishment, from every coast he saw islands, and on these islands, strange and troubling creatures whom he dared not name. As he was searching for a boat, a man in full evening dress approached him along the shore.

"Are those real islands?" asked the young prince.

"Of course they are real islands," said the man in evening dress.

"And those strange and troubling creatures?"

"They are all genuine and authentic princesses."

"Then God also must exist!" cried the prince.

"I am God," replied the man in full evening dress, with a bow.

The young prince returned home as quickly as he could.

"So you are back," said his father, the king.

"I have seen islands, I have seen princesses, I have seen God," said the prince reproachfully.

The king was unmoved. "Neither real islands, nor real princesses, nor a real God, exist."

"I saw them!"

"Tell me how God was dressed."

"God was in full evening dress."

"Were the sleeves of his coat rolled back?"

The prince remembered that they had been. The king smiled. "That is the uniform of a magician. You have been deceived."

At this, the prince returned to the next land, and went to the same shore, where once again he came upon the man in full evening dress. "My father the king has told me who you are," said the young prince indignantly. "You deceived me last time, but not again. Now I know that those are not real islands and real princesses, because you are a magician."

The man on the shore smiled. "It is you who are deceived, my boy. In your father's kingdom there are many islands and many princesses. But you are under your father’s spell, so you cannot see them."

The prince returned pensively home. When he saw his father, he looked him in the eyes. "Father, is it true that you are not a real king, but only a magician?"

The king smiled, and rolled back his sleeves. "Yes, my son, I am only a magician."

"Then the man on the shore was God."

"The man on the shore was another magician."

"I must know the real truth, the truth beyond magic."

"There is no truth beyond magic," said the king.

The prince was full of sadness. He said, "I will kill myself."

The king by magic caused death to appear. Death stood in the door and beckoned to the prince. The prince shuddered. He remembered the beautiful but unreal islands and the unreal but beautiful princesses "Very well," he said. "I can bear it."

"You see, my son," said the king, "you too now begin to be a magician." "

--

In my view, this story demonstrates that it is impossible to know
whether you have enough information to call something 'real'
or an illusion.

So either you die, you continuously form new illusions
(by seeking new knowledge), you accept some
comforting lie and go with it for funsies, or you
just let life do whatever life does.

Nearly everyone decides to become a 'magician' so that they
can retain their illusion of control, when none is actually
possible.

Kev

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

You can in a way control the illusion by accepting whatever outcome lies ahead. You can nudge it a bit also.

The best part, you can always change what you can't accept, once you accept you can do it.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

You can in a way control the illusion by accepting whatever outcome lies ahead. You can nudge it a bit also.

The best part, you can always change what you can't accept, once you accept you can do it.

You are correct, disciple of JM.

Kev

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

You are correct, disciple of JM.

Kev

Sounds like a coffee mug slogan. The illusion we can't see is just as malleable as the illusion we do. That's less bumper stickerish.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You left me speechless. I don't think words are necessary to explain how I feel.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Everything is true, it is an illusion only in the sense of what is true is concealed within a veil.
But they veils themselves contain "suchness" That which makes them appear to be real, is reality itself.
But when properly understood, the veils do not conceal, but reveal, and the veil is lifted and you know who and what you are in truth.

edit on 29-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ExternalForces

Thank you I think!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: starswift

Nothing is true and everything is nothing. Reality is an illusion and the illusion is fantasy. Everything was created from nothing and nothing evolved from something.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The bird does not fly, the ground rises up.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That is one long quote. The prince was a frog and the princess a toad and the magician was a fairy and the king was a dragon. The fire breath melted the crown and the moat swallowed the frog and the toad became a jester.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There is nothing but reality,
unless there isn't.
It is what it is.
And isn't what it isn't.
Isn't it?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I am a illusion, but I am not the magician.

You and I are the magicians, its just that we forgot that. We must peak behind the curtain of OZ every so often and laugh out loud.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join