It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Judge: Serial Killer Can Decide to Die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A Connecticut judge has ruled that Michael Ross, a serial killer, is mentally competent and can wave further appeals of his death sentence. Ross received the death penalty for the killing of 4 women in the 1980's. He has further confessed to a total of eight murder/rapes. The judge in the case had Ross testify in court as well as receive a psychiatric examination prior to his ruling.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW LONDON, Conn. - A judge ruled Tuesday that a confessed serial killer set to become the first inmate executed in New England in 40 years is mentally competent and can forgo further appeals of his death sentence.

Michael Ross, 45, is scheduled to be executed Jan. 26 for killing four young women in eastern Connecticut in the 1980s. He has admitted to killing a total of eight women and raping several of them.

Superior Court Judge Patrick Clifford ordered Ross to testify in court and be examined by a psychiatrist to ensure he was competent to decide to allow the execution to go forward.

Clifford said he found Ross to be lucid and rational. "This decision is his right to make," the judge said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is his wish then it should be granted. As the judge ruled he is competent and understands his sentence. They should move immediately and execute him. No doubt this will bring little relief to the families of the victims (some as young as 14) but he deserves the punishment he received.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
FredT -it seems that other thread of yours is much more popular -I wonder why

Seriously -I think that if man can recognize his mistakes and ask for death penalty it should be given to him -however that is no longer punishment - if this is his wish it might be he prefers to be dead instead of facing his crimes. That is questionable...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
From the article:

Edwin Shelley, whose 14-year-old daughter Leslie was killed by Ross, said he has no sympathy for Ross, but is pleased he has been thinking of his family.

"It's thoughtful of him, and I hope that he gets his wish, because his wish is my wish that he die," Shelley said.

I have no sympathy for this man, he chose to take the lives of these women without hesitation. I only hope that his remorse is genuine and if some kind of consciousness exists after death that the guilt continues to follow him.

B.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hey that is great if he wants to die. We just have one problem here, it is called the ACLU, even if you want to die they will keep filing appeals on their behalf.

I can recall one case where the invidual wanted to die, yet the ACLU kept filing appeals. I honestly do not recall the outcome of that, but it is a fact.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hey if the guy wants to die then let him. Leaving this world is the least that this sonofabitch! deserves for killing those people.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I can recall one case where the invidual wanted to die, yet the ACLU kept filing appeals. I honestly do not recall the outcome of that, but it is a fact.

Thats my question in this case. Can the anti death penalty crowd keep filing even if the defnedant does not want them too? I mean how long has this guy been on death row anyway?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Fred
From what I could find in a fast search, I assume he has been in Jail since the mid 80's. He was convicted and sentenced in 1987. for murders in 1983. He also confessed to one commited in 1981 but has not been sentenced on that one. Here is a short brief.

Michael Ross was sentenced to death in 1987 for the murder of four teenagers, all female, in 1983 and 1984: Robin Stavinsky, 19; Wandy Baribeault, 17; Leslie Shelley, 14; and April Brunais, 14. He is also serving life sentences for the murder of Tammy Williams, 17, and Debra Smith Taylor, 23, and up to 25 years for the murder of 16-year-old Paula Perrera. He admitted to killing another woman, Dzung Ngoc Tu, 25, in 1981, but has not been prosecuted in that case. Most of the victims were raped.

web.amnesty.org...

I will try and research data on the ACLU and how long they have delayed other trials, and post them later.

new topics

top topics

join