It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopped by a cop? Act like an ass. After all, it's your "right".

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I just used that as an example as to how a profession is regulated by the states, but also upholds and adheres to nationally recognized standards, codes of ethics, etc. that are overseen by different organizations. Take HIPPA for example. It applies to everyone in this country, and the Office for Civil Rights enforces the HIPAA Privacy Rule. It is there to protect your medical privacy. The AMA also sets standards and ethics for doctors, yet those are not laws, but are expected to by used in practice regardless. Hell, there's even Joint Commision. Do you not get how I am saying there can be a nonprofit organization that sets these same kind of standards/qualifications for police, or even a Bill passed that gives even more protection for the citizens against police misconduct and abuse of power? Never once did I say wanted a federal police force, so just stop with that. If you have a better solution, I am all ears! But the current system doesn't work, so....Edited to also say this: if you are seriously mistreated by a police officer or he abused his power against you, do you have someone to call that will actually look into it and do something about it? Didn't think so. Good luck calling the Chief of Police and complaining on Officer Danny who slammed you into the ground and roughed you up a little, or invaded your home for no reason. You're # out of luck my friend. And try to find a lawyer that will actually ruin his rep with the local police just to help you out.

edit on 29-7-2015 by M4ngo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: M4ngo

But the current system doesn't work, so....

I would say that depends on the locality. Which would imply that, in the majority of jurisdictions, the requirements for qualification are effective. I would say that it does not indicate that the federal government should dictate.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'd rather be alive than right.

I'd rather we didn't have to make THAT choice.
I'd rather have my rights and still be alive !!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
You dont have to be polite to anyone this is America, you dont have to pretend to like someone you dont nor do you have to put up with being dehumanized.

Sure cops can bend the law and imprison or kill you, but they are wrong for it, never let anyone intimidate you into submission.

Yep sport, I guess you are right. How would you like that put on your headstone? " He acted like a prick, and got shot, but damnit, he never submitted to the few minutes of being polite so the cop would just give him the ticket and leave."

You sure got that "right".

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19625675]network dude[/pos

Everitime I'm driving I just dream to be a cop or better an higway patrol officer, better with a license-blowing pistol and anti-vehicle missiles (I hate unfit drivers)!!!

...so I'm lucky to be not, I don't have to be like that aggressive detective or any other officer that EXCEED his duty..

we can't generalize, the only thing is the citizens is acting for himself alone, the cop represent the comunity, so they must act accordly to laws, duties and last, but not least, moral (non in religious or moralistic way, but decent and respectful)

said that you don't act polite with everyone doing his job, because people does different job in different ways... too simple..

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
People shouldn't have to worry if they get stopped by police how it's going to end, especially for minor infractions. Police are becoming more militaristic and when they are viewed as such, coupled with deaths and brutality we see almost daily, public perception of law enforcement goes from protect and serve too an occupying force.

Of course not all officers are bad; however, being polite can get you a ticket or an a** whooping, just depends on the cop involved. I think it's dangerous when people fear the police, and law enforcement hasn't done a very good job of managing that perception albeit no help from the media either.

I think some police routinely deal with belligerent individuals, then when faced with someone who doesn't pose a risk, they treat them the same as the last guy who had drugs in his car or a weapon; even if they dont their profiled like they do.

In my opinion that's where it becomes dangerous, treating everyone like they are a criminal instead of thinking not everyone has a gun or drugs, perhaps they are telling the truth and just need some milk from the store.

I've had few encounters with police, but have experienced both sides. I'm a polite person by nature and generally treat others as such. Hell I was threatened to have my butt beat for stopping and peeing, although I was polite the officer wasn't.

So yeah, be polite, it often works. With that said, it may not.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: works4dhs

originally posted by: roadgravel
Remember, the next time a cop walks up to you with his hand on his gun, you might be the next unarmed citizen shot as you reach for your license or insurance papers.

or the cop might end up as the next Eddie Plank, killed during a routine traffic stop. How many of our interactions could might possibly result in violence?

After all, you didn't understand his grunted order for an ID and made the mistake of asking 'what?' and made his attitude toward you go negative.

I seriously doubt many law officers will grunt instructions and go berserk if you act confused.

Police tend to ask questions in order to find a reason that you are a law breaker. Not answering tends to make them believe you do not respect their authority.

um, no. police tend to ask questions to find out what's going on. if nothing is going on you will be released to have a nice day.

There are screw ups on both sides of people/police actions. Doubt every one will make it to the middle.

true that. much more likely that a common citizen screws up than a trained selected law officer.

The number killed by police, without cause is more than 3 to 1.

source?

His right to go home at night does not supercede mine.

make some effort to cooperate and you can both go home.

Would give you stats, but they intentionally didn't disclose them, until recently, when they were required to from here on.

Wonder why that is... Maybe the fact police deaths period are factors fewer than civies?

Why would they want to hide that?...... Oh the obvious.

so what do your phantom stats say? cops shoot more civilians than vice versa? since police are trained armed professionals I would think so. does the occasional lawman shoot someone without cause? sure. is this a growing nationwide trend? I haven't seen that. do many of these encounters result from civilians using mind-altering substances? undoubtedly, and how do you think such encounters go?
bottom line, one is much more likely to be shot by a lover or thug, than by a police person.

speaking of stats, here's some
www.bjs.gov...

"About 1% of drivers pulled over in traffic stops had physical
force used against them by police. Of these drivers, 55%
believed the police behaved properly during the stop."
(let me guess, many of them were harassed or assaulted by cops but too scared to report same)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Its called discipline and cops are supposed to maintain it and act professionally, bottom line plain and simple. They are civil servants and they have every right to be offended by a rude person, they however do not have the right to start violating your rights because you hurt their feelings. Sorry but no, bad cop no donut.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

And here we have the crux of it, you openly support the idea that the police are justified in stone cold murdering someone for being a prick.

Live in fear

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

And here we have the crux of it, you openly support the idea that the police are justified in stone cold murdering someone for being a prick.

Live in fear

If your mind is so tiny that you got that from my posts, you probably need a little help at lunch time. operating a spoon and fork must be a real challenge.

I do not support abusive cops. I would rather not have ANY interaction with cops on duty. But.....(and this is the part you seem to not have the mental capacity to grasp)....should I encounter a cop while on duty, I CHOOSE to be polite and HOPE he reciprocates. I don't do it to get out of whatever trouble I am in. I do it out of courtesy. I was brought up by two great parents who taught me to respect others.

Unlike most of the posters here, I actually speak to cops off duty and hear their stories of what they have to do for their HUGE, MASSIVE paycheck. And Amazingly, the ones I know like what they do, aren't pricks, and explain why the have to do some of the things they do. It's all a part of being human. Try it sometime. When you have a bit more learning capacity that is.

If some of you ninja commandos spent a tiny bit of time speaking to cops on the same level, you might gain a tiny bit of understanding, and amazingly enough, they might as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I got that from your post because it is what you said.

' He acted like a prick, and got shot '

I fail to see what you are saying in that sentence other than what you said in it...

Also if you had read my previous posts you would have gathered I am friendly with my local police, bar a few, and talk to them about it regularly as I live in a small community where the police for the most part went to the same school, and drink in the same bars.

Personal attacks and insinuating my simplicity does nothing to make your point any harder hitting.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

It was a hypothetical situation to explain why the keyboard ninja in question was wrong. Have you ever seen a video of a bad cop? I have. Hell, I saw one in SC shoot a guy for getting his license out of the truck like he was asked. If you mouthed off to that cop, do you think he would have smiled at you, or shot you? Give it a shot and find out. Or.....as the OP suggested, be nice and hope he reciprocates. He might shoot you anyway, but at least when we all see the video on the top thread, we can say, that guy with the oxymoron for a username sure was polite.

Yes, and trying to change my words and appeal to the ignorance of the masses is also poor form.
While you are out talking to the cops on the same level, ask them about some of your complaints here. tell them how you feel. They need to know. I don't think they all read this forum, or follow your twitter feed.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Maybe we have both misunderstood each other, as I also advocate being polite and respectful, just not to people who are openly hostile or have a superiority complex, or police who abuse their given powers. If your opening post had been about disrespecting an officer of the bat, as I said in earlier posts, I'd have agreed.

However your opening post used the example of a citizen stating their rights, and reminding an officer they are public servants i.e. paid for by the citizenry.

IF in your example this citizen said this off the bat, with no attitude from the officer, I'd also be inclined to agree its rude, but still in no way deserving of abuse from an officer, as it is not derogatory, nasty or untrue.

Calling a cop a b*stard, then expect ill treatment. State your rights.... not so much.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

What words did I change? I quoted you verbatim.

And yeah I agree, its better to tell your local force of your concerns, so I do so. Near everyone does. We have worked with the police to complain against 2 that even the police dislike for their utter contempt for the locals.
edit on 29/7/2015 by Learningman because: second line

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I thought we were supposed to all be accepting and loving of one another? This anger and rude remarks aren't getting us anywhere. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion but I thought that was the number one rule. Deny ignorance. So if someone is being ignorant, we shouldn't fault in our casually mentioned "rude" remarks. At the end of the day, most cops are decent and deserved to be treated with respect.

There is only one time someone I was acquainted with got pulled over and it was for a reason I thought to be odd. I happened to be with them and I, for some reason, was fearing for my safety. Behold, two sherrifs came along. I was patted down as well as the other guy. Car was searched, by dogs I may add. All in all, I just thought it was odd that he was pulled over for an "out of state license plate".

Everything was fine though. Nothing was found and we were sent on our way. Why? Respect. I did as he asked. I mean yeah, I was nervous being I had no idea why I had to get out of the car and be searched from the start until I began reflecting on the moment in the future. I FEARED FOR MY SAFETY. They were looking out for me and I didn't even have to ask for the help.

I thanked him and hoped he enjoyed the rest of his weekend. Being kind does count. No matter the type of situation you are in. So please guys, I enjoy the debating, but can we ease up on each other some?

Much love.

EF
edit on 7292015 by ExternalForces because: Pardon the grammatical errors! I'm doing this from a hand held tablet. I HAVE BIG FINGERS, OK?!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: M4ngo

As much as you like to defend them, it is widely known that that most (not all) of the states have extremely low qualifications to become a police officer.

I took a major dump on American police on few threads yesterday and a few times in this very thread. I mentioned my own personal experiences of dealing with asshole cops in the States and their lack of professionalism and training when compared to other first world nation policing.

I agree with everything you stated-you are speaking my language. In fact, you echoed much of my earlier talking points

I respect the police around the world, but I have NO RESPECT for the American police culture. In fact, conversing with friends around the world, I have come to the conclusion many globally, view the American system of law enforcement as severely dysfunctional.

Deep down, the OP and others who try to offset the negativity towards American police (such as this thread) are in fact unconsciously admitting to how F'd up policing is in the States. No other first world nation citizens have the urge to nominate themselves police ambassadors and try to offer the Yin to the Yang and that right there speaks volumes....

I have had some good experiences dealing with cops in the States, but I also have had some very unique experiences and witnessed unique interactions among its police that I have not experienced or seen anywhere along my global travels. American police interact like some small corrupt South American country's police forces....

America is a very unique beast indeed....in many ways, not just the policing.

One problem that I have with police officers is that there is not national standards and qualifications for them. The states decide that.

I honestly think that the cops that have to resort to using unnecessary intimidation, rudeness, scare tactics, etc., are the ones that have a mental disorder. Specifically, anger and control disorders. As much as you like to defend them, it is widely known that that most (not all) of the states have extremely low qualifications to become a police officer. This is where the problem starts.

In my state, police academy is 10 weeks of training. That's laughable considering the enormous amount of power they are able to have and abuse. A piece of my paycheck goes into theirs, not the other way around. If a piece of my paycheck is supporting you, then I would like for you to show me some respect. It's ridiculous the mentality police officers have, especially with low-ball traffic violations. Do you get fined when you speed for no reason in your cop car, run stop signs, run street lights, etc.? No. So, why is it okay for them to get the slightest attitude with me if I question them about a ridiculous pull over? Oh wait, I forgot, there is a quota to meet and the pig has to be fed. Fact is, police treat citizens like they are one of the prisoners back at the station. Leave the attitude at home, and show some respect to the citizens that are responsible for the bread you put on the table. Ever wonder why there's never any beef about firemen? Because they are actually serving their community like they signed up to do. Example-I would rather walk an extra mile to a fire station to ask for help with unlocking my car, than ask a police officer right next to me for fear he/she will just look for an excuse to slap a fine or arrest me.

That above needs to be addressed to the OP. I already mentioned all that to him in my previous post. I feel you my friend and agree!

edit on 29-7-2015 by Involutionist because: grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Hey man, forget all that. Come address my last response to you. Don't run. Let's discuss this intelligently. Don't be shy. This is YOUR thread. Let's go dada, chop chop!

Address this, pls.

NetworkDude, you stated:

Treat humans like humans, respect others to get respect, and be nice whenever possible. It really does work.

Of course you were referring to police/civilian interactions: Treat the police with respect is what you are stating and all will go smoothly.

...but then you admit by detailing your personal experience that "respect others to get respect...It really does work" is not always case:

I was in the wrong,but was very polite.

Please note the fact you stated you were polite to the officer.

Then you go on to state:

He was a condescending little prick and had my truck towed to impound.

Forget the truck towing part. To be fair, you did admit you were in the wrong. But pay attention to how you described the officer's response to your politeness.

Notice how your politeness to the officer was NOT reciprocated? The officer was "a condescending little prick" despite the respect you gave the officer.

Therefore, is this following statement, the entire premise of you OP, true?

Treat humans like humans, respect others to get respect,and be nice whenever possible. It really does work.

*You go and start a thread about being polite to police and then go on to detail your own personal experience that contradicts it all.

Lol, unbelievable!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Um, much like the lottery, you don't always win.

I am sorry you felt less important. I thought your point was kind of pointless.

I had a run in with a bad cop. I was polite, he wasn't. I don't remember offering a money back guarantee.

I swear, there are some amazing people here, and then, some not so amazing.

This thread was supposed to be about respecting an officer of the law and being polite. I offered some advice that could be taken, or ignored. I just know from my experiences in life, that being polite usually brings better results than being a prick.

Please note the word USUALLY. In case you want a refund.
edit on 29-7-2015 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

What words did I change? I quoted you verbatim.

Just so you fully understand this, Ill try to explain it.

In this post:

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
You dont have to be polite to anyone this is America, you dont have to pretend to like someone you dont nor do you have to put up with being dehumanized.

Sure cops can bend the law and imprison or kill you, but they are wrong for it, never let anyone intimidate you into submission.

I think that post stands on it's own, and doesn't need me to explain what I got out of it. I hope you agree.

Now, to that, I said:

Yep sport, I guess you are right. How would you like that put on your headstone? " He acted like a prick, and got shot, but damnit, he never submitted to the few minutes of being polite so the cop would just give him the ticket and leave."

You sure got that "right".

In this post, I was making a comment that while that poster would be well within his rights to act like that to a cop, should he run into a bad one, (a bad cop, as we all know exist, like in the videos posted here in this forum) and the cop shot him and he died as a result, we could put his words on his headstone. (paraphrased of course)

Now, I never advocated that it's OK for cops to shoot people for bad attitudes. I never made the claim that I:

openly support the idea that the police are justified in stone cold murdering someone for being a prick.

You said that. You took your own misguided feelings and pushed them on me by only quoting part of what I wrote. Like this:

yeah I agree, Near everyone does police complain.

Now, you did say those exact words. But by omitting some text, I changed the entire meaning of what you said. And that is dishonest.

Do you fully understand that, or should I go about it another way?
edit on 29-7-2015 by network dude because: it must be summertime.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This thread was supposed to be about respecting an officer of the law and being polite. I offered some advice that could be taken, or ignored. I just know from my experiences in life, that being polite usually brings better results than being a prick.

This thread is about:

Treat humans like humans, respect others to get respect,and be nice whenever possible. It really does work.

You are pushing back the goal post, but that's ok, I have a long range.

I am sorry you felt less important. I thought your point was kind of pointless.

Based on observing your thought process throughout this thread I'm not surprised in the least you saw it as pointless. Cool, cool.

Um, much like the lottery, you don't always win.

...and that was exactly my point. Nothing is black and white and clean cut as you suggested in the OP. Therefore, your generalized statement and the fact you contradicted yourself by detailing your own experience needs to be weighed....intelligently.

I swear, there are some amazing people here, and then, some not so amazing.

I agree, and this is why I consciously made it a point to speak about my lovely experience with a state trooper two months ago in upstate N.Y in my very first post and first paragraph of that post. Stop pushing back the post....

I had a run in with a bad cop. I was polite, he wasn't. I don't remember offering a money back guarantee.

So what happened to this statement (the premise of your OP)?

Do you understand...now....that your statement is a generalized statement and that is what is being weighed throughout this thread....?

THINK, man!

This thread was supposed to be about respecting an officer of the law and being polite. I offered some advice that could be taken, or ignored. I just know from my experiences in life, that being polite usually brings better results than being a prick

I agree. But why state the obvious? Most people are raised to be polite. Please note the word "most", after all, we can't all win the lottery. Here let me explain using your words towards how you politely described a police officer and fellow member of your society in an OPEN PUBLIC FORUM:

Actually, yes, not terribly long ago. Pulling into Wal Mart. A fat little Mexican prick of a cop stopped me and asked for my id

Oh, how polite of you....

You see? Being polite is more than just an outwardly action. It is also a trait that resides within our subjective mind as well.

Please note the word USUALLY. In case you want a refund.

How old are you, Network Dude?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join