It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns Out, Almond Milk Has No Almonds In It

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Doesn't Blue Diamond make matches? For some reason that always turned me off of their food lol! But I'm tired of the false marketing so I hope people keep pushing for honest labels and advertising. Sounds like an oxymoron lol

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Yeah, a lot of lactose intolerant people can actually drink milk after bolstering their digestive tract with a good run of probiotics.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Domo1

Wouldn't that be a lack of enzyme in response to different dietary consumption producing differences in gut flora? It seems most of this sensitivity goes away with slowly consuming larger amounts.

I'm guessing if it was that easy to fix it wouldn't be a real problem. My understanding is that people with lactose intolerance simply don't produce the enzyme, or at least in sufficient quantities.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
i use it too with my porridge .. i also use the blue diamond .. cos they dont appear to put as much chemical extras in as others ... 2% almonds sounded fine to me til i read this thread .. what should it be ? ... bearing in mind .. water should be the main ingredient anyway .. dont think id fancy it without being diluted down with water ...

i actually prefer coconut milk ... but cant seem to buy it here without added sugar and other nonsense .. when i make my own . using ONLY coconut and WATER ... it is by far, the tastiest creamiest loveliest coconut milk i have ever tasted ... it works out same price as what the ycharge in shops .. but this is faaar better and more natural ..
only downside is .. you have to make it .. which is quite easy using my juicer .. and still .. i just buy this almosd milk instead ..

but when i make my coconut milk .. it must easily be a minimum of 94% water ... and wouldnt be surprised if it was 97 or 98%

ETA - the amount of sugar they claim is in their milk is 0.1% ... last i checked .. was lower than the others available on tesco shelf ... is why i bought this brand
always dislike the way companies can list the vague 'natural flavouring' ingredient and leave it at that .. i always wish to know what these natural flavourings are that i am paying to put inside of me
edit on 28-7-2015 by Segenam because: editing is a great way to pass the time ...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
whats not real about other milks, compared to the bodily fluids from cows ? ....

can i suggest .. that perhaps your view is skewed, by what you have been brought up around and conditioned with ...
could i suggest .. that perhaps a lot of these other foods are very real .. and if real is dependant upon how much exposure you have had to them .. many of these 'alternative' foods, were actually 'real' in many parts of the globe long before you were chuckin your real curries down ya .. and have been 'forgotten' since the supermarkets have been limiting our choices to the 'real' foods you speak of

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
ahhh .. i shoulda read the source first ... its more to do with the fact that they dont list the percentage as 2% in US .. and show a handful of almonds ... so people feel they are bein deceived ... they do list 2% here .. and only show 3 nuts next to the milk .. tho they do have a guys hand full of nuts on the otehr side .. i dont see that as an indication of what to expect .. its just a pic of a load of almonds ...

when i make my own milk .. i use water, to extract the 'milk' from the product ... without the water .. i wouldnt be exctracting much .. and it wd be a mess.

now .. when i am done .. and i have all my milk .. i dispose of the non liquid materials .. in the case of almond milk .. that 2% almond matter you are drinking, likely equates to what was left after the exctraction process .. and does not reflect the amount of actual almonds used for the end product .. the 2% will only the amount of almond matter that ends up in that product ... so .. the handful of nuts in the pic, is likely more realistic to what would have been used to 'make' the product .. not what is in at once its made ..

i dont see that as deceit .. if i were marketing it .. in that scenario, i would also want to show handful of nuts to indicate what went into it .. rather than just 2 or 3 nuts

i didnt feel i was being deceived .. cos they do state 2% .. i always knew it was 2% .. and that sounded about right to me .. since making my own coconut milk .. well .. eg 10% almond oils mixed with water might be a bit too almondy, gooey and rich for me ...

i wonder .. if they had stated 2% on the label in US like they do here .. would anyone still be caring

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I can't see the lawsuit going any where as the company doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. Unless the product states it is made purely from almonds, or they claim a certain percentage and are not meeting that percentage.

Some foods are protected by laws, such as a sausage needing to contain a certain percentage of "meat" in order to legally call the product a sausage. This is true of a lot of countries anyway.

I am unaware of any specific laws about almond milk however.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

Do we really know what we're putting in our mouths anymore? With all the chemical additives, dyes, flavorings etc..., were probably all unknowingly consuming a cesspool of toxins.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Coconut almond milk is sooooo good. It's the first milk I ever enjoyed.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma
Well this is depressing!

I buy this brand of almond milk! I can't drink cows milk. I love almond milk but damn if it's not full of almonds that irks me because it's really not cheap!!

I've bought the silk brand but it's so thick compared to the Blue Diamond. I don't use it often, it's for cooking or cereal if I have it and my son drinks it. He was on goats milk but it was getting very expensive and I figured he could just have the almond milk when he wanted milk, which now is almost never.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You really have to be careful about store bought name brand "healthy foods" especially well known brands.

They can bend the "rules" and make foods appear healthy, or that they are for example, mostly almond milk in your case, when they are not.

Case in point: I went to a picnic the other day. One person pointed out that they brought "gluten free" potato chips.

I could not help myself and burst out laughing. Potato chips are made from potato (no gluten there), fried in oil (no gluten there) and salted (no gluten there either). Basically all potato chips are gluten free.

The person was hoodwinked into buying a more "healthy" chip and paying more money for it too!

If you know what you are getting and like Silk Almond Milk, go for it. But the OP has a point about deception. If you know the truth and like it anyway, ok, enjoy!

edit on 8Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:37:48 -0500am72807amk282 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The problem with Almonds and Hazelnuts is that they are now Irradiated in the USA. Unless you get them straight from the local nut farmer irradiated nuts probably aren't too healthy and shouldn't be consumed.

naturalfamilytoday.com... d/

Most almonds and hazelnuts in the USA are now irradiated. Irradiation is the use of radiation to help preserve foods and kill off bacteria. This has been standard practice since 2007 when the FDA decided that all raw almonds grown in the USA must be pasteurized before sale.

edit on 7/28/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

what, you wanna live forever?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Hell No! But i'd rather live healthy and pain free.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The price of almonds or any type of nuts, in Canada is more than just buying the ready made stuff.
It's still something else to drink besides plain water or juice. Low in sugar and works well with protein powder and chocolate syrup.

a reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yeah, I've thought about trying to mix my protein with almond milk. I just use water right now, as I don't like a super thick consistency.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hate to tell you this, but there's no "milk" in almond milk, either.

It's a chemical concoction. Like drinking non-dairy creamer in a carton. Totally artificial.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Coconut almond milk is sooooo good.

I just got my first 1/2 gallon if this. I had no idea it existed, but it's divine! I have a protein drink with that and berries every day for lunch.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Why don't we all just have IV ports put into us and administer liquid IV nutrients? Wouldn't that be cheaper than actual food?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
The problem with Almonds and Hazelnuts is that they are now Irradiated in the USA.

Far from all of them. They can be pasteurized, gassed, or irradiated. The writer of the article you link is sort of confused.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join