It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Tsunami?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I was just reading an article about the tsunami's in Asia, and how they expect the death toll to reach 60,000 or more.

Then I got to thinking...what if a group of "terrorists" dropped a couple of nukes off the coast of Florida or near New York City for that matter...wouldn't that create an artificial tsunami that could kill thousands if not millions?

If a tsunami wiped out half of India, I can only imagine what would happen to Florida.

Scary thought.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think someone mentioned something like this in one of the threads about the disaster...it would in deed be the end for many coastal areas! Very scary thought! There simply isn't any way to fight such a thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Exactly 1 hour ago I was taking a walk,puffing a bowl, and thought this very thing!!very cool. Anyhow I think im going to go check haarp's site for a "spike" in activity. I think haarp could cause this

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The big worry for Florida is that island volcano - Cumbre Vieja on the Canary Island of La Palma.... If that goes off, goodbye Eastern seaboard and all of Florida....

Tsunami's are bad - if you are out in the deep ocean, barely a ripple, but when it's forced up near shore - ouch....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidvisions
Exactly 1 hour ago I was taking a walk,puffing a bowl, and thought this very thing!!very cool.

Cool!?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by lucidvisions
Exactly 1 hour ago I was taking a walk,puffing a bowl, and thought this very thing!!very cool.

Cool!?

I think he meant "cool" that he was thinking the same thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
lucidvisions

Shush - DEA/NWO/MIB's lurk here no doubt and we hate to lose fellow ATS'ers to the spooks....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The big worry for Florida is that island volcano - Cumbre Vieja on the Canary Island of La Palma.... If that goes off, goodbye Eastern seaboard and all of Florida....

There was actualy someting on this on coast to coast am last night,
although I was busy and it didn't quite have my full attention,
but, I do remember them saying that it would go at least 30 miles
inland.
Very frightening Indeed.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Ahh..I see. We are just too open about the recreation in my state is has been completely decriminilzed since 1972, ill be more quiet in the furure,peace be to all.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
lucidvisions - we got your back....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elderban

Then I got to thinking...what if a group of "terrorists" dropped a couple of nukes off the coast of Florida or near New York City for that matter...wouldn't that create an artificial tsunami that could kill thousands if not millions?

If a tsunami wiped out half of India, I can only imagine what would happen to Florida.

Scary thought.

A few nukes wouldnt even come close to making a tsunami like the one that hit asia.In a few minutes, a magnitude 9 earthquake would release as much energy as the United States now consumes in a month nuclear weapons cant come close to the power of a earth quake.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Nope. Wouldn't work.

It would take upwards of 1,500 megatons detonated in just the right spot to create a tsunami the size of the Indonesian one. The biggest nuclear explosion to date generated, I believe, about 50 megatons.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah - nukes probably too small - someone could work out the math (weight/volume of water for 1ft upward displacement = xxx megatons) and it's the cocktail hour so my thoughts are on my tasty drink.

If that volcano goes Florida is really toast as the abrupt uplift in the continental shelf off FL would make it a massive wave - something like 200+ feet to 20 feet in like a quarter of a mile or less and that wave would be that high ~180-200+ feet as it slammed in....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Unless someone "helped" the Canary Islands to erupt. Dunno about how feasible this would be, but couldn't it be possible for terrorists to start the eruption/landslide with a nuke, causing the tsunami?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
Unless someone "helped" the Canary Islands to erupt. Dunno about how feasible this would be, but couldn't it be possible for terrorists to start the eruption/landslide with a nuke, causing the tsunami?

I have worried about this very thing since the first day I saw that show, on this situation, several years ago. I wonder if that island is monitored well so something like this couldn't take place? I don't even know if a small nuke could even set off that slide into the ocean.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
please dont give the terrorists any more ideas!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yes indeed no more ideas someone might just improvize something like that, and lets just hope it will never be possible, although I was watching this program about how North Korea has Nukez and they wouldn't mind using em....

Well I'm not gonna get into this topic any longer because it's just pure sick to even think the idea of killing thousands of people just to make a point!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by elderban

you americans watch TOO MUCH movies,
especially too much movies like independance day or day after tomorrow.
this time john rambo will not come to rescue you,
this is the real world, and not the movie theatre.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Ohhhh!!! check him out ^^^^^^ someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Strip club over - see picture of me....

Yeah - I was not talking about a nuke blowing up the volcano, just that many people are worried as the whole west facing slope is loose and if anything erupts, it's coming down and toast to FL and eastern seaboard. Yes we will have warnings but loss of property and most of FL will be toast....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join