It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rolling eBay rant thread!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I do a lot of stuff on eBay, but mostly sell. Without getting into people's opinions about eBay itself, I sometimes run across buyers who just don't get it and I just have to vent about their annoyances.

I need a place to rant about some of the stupid stuff and people I've encountered and I'd imagine others have their stories to share as well! I typically enjoy reading about doofus buyers so I hope you will share your encounters!

Today: This is the 2nd message I've received from a buyer for the same item "What your bottom price?" Now, I didn't respond to the fist message he sent me because it's a stupid question. So let's break this down. (I like lists btw, lol)

1. They used the best offer feature and all 3 offers were automatically declined. Best offer guidelines only allow you 3 chances and if none are accepted you can't submit more offers. So it's obvious that their offers didn't meet my "bottom price".
  2. Why would I go to eBay to attempt to sell an item for the least amount that I can get for it? I.e. telling people the lowest I would take. I cannot believe the amount of people that don't understand this concept.

I understand frugality. I get it, trust me. I shop around for the best deals as well. But I never expect a seller to tell me the least they will take for an item. I research appropriate values and determine for myself what is a fair price to pay. If my offers isn't accepted I chalk it up to my offer(s) being too low, and I KNOW THAT, so fair enough.. MOVE ON. Some eBay buyers attempt to low ball you and then get mad or huffy when they can't get it for what they want to pay and start giving you gruff. I say TOUGH TITTIES! It's my item I will attempt to sell it for whatever I want to. I research typical sale prices for stuff and price my items in that range.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: conflictor

I have a sin to confess

I sold one time online an expensive light bulb that burned out, I knew it didn't work

I did it once and feel bad about it,

People always buy from well known well starred seller.
edit on 27-7-2015 by ShortNoodle1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I have put items on there for around $500 buy it now or best offer and then get sent offers of $200 and they think 'll take it...laughable.
Worst case i had though was a woman who bought a painting off me and after it arriving at her house and owning it for 7 weeks she said i mislead her and the painting smelt and had scratches on it and Paypal in my opinion was totally backing her up and messages would spring up like"we strongly advise you to give a refund".
Which is a total joke.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I think ebay is a good example of what happens when you take a functioning market environment and attempt to manipulate it toward some artificially synthesized end.

"Regulation", in this case internal private self-inflicted "regulation".

You jam a crowbar in the works and, lo and behold, it stops working very well.

There is only justice, any qualifiers, identifiers or variations of that word are necessarily concepts outside of that of justice, the impartial uninterested arbiter of conflict.
edit on 27-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Today: This is the 2nd message I've received from a buyer for the same item "What your bottom price?"

Sounds like they're watching too many pawn shows. The pawn owners always ask the seller, "what's the lowest price they'll go."

I had a recent incident where I tried winning a bid on a chainsaw. There were 3 of the same chainsaws up for bid. Every time I tried to bid my max, It said I wasn't the highest bidder. So I tried bidding on the other two, with the same result. I gave up. Six hours later I get a text message on my cell stating I was now the highest bidder on all 3 chainsaws due to a bid retraction! I ended up winning two when it was all said and done, but had to contact the seller and explain to them what happened. I only had to pay for one, and they put the other one back up for bid. Whew!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShortNoodle1

I have a sin to confess

I sold one time online an expensive light bulb that burned out, I knew it didn't work

I am a top rated power seller. That doesn't stop idiot buyers, lol

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

I have put items on there for around $500 buy it now or best offer and then get sent offers of $200 and they think 'll take it...laughable.
Worst case i had though was a woman who bought a painting off me and after it arriving at her house and owning it for 7 weeks she said i mislead her and the painting smelt and had scratches on it and Paypal in my opinion was totally backing her up and messages would spring up like"we strongly advise you to give a refund".
Which is a total joke.

I get the same things! At least offer me 1/2 price! lol

Did you ask for her to send it back if she wasn't happy with it? Also, there should be a 60 day limit for claims, could be wrong though.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Today: This is the 2nd message I've received from a buyer for the same item "What your bottom price?"

Sounds like they're watching too many pawn shows. The pawn owners always ask the seller, "what's the lowest price they'll go."

I had a recent incident where I tried winning a bid on a chainsaw. There were 3 of the same chainsaws up for bid. Every time I tried to bid my max, It said I wasn't the highest bidder. So I tried bidding on the other two, with the same result. I gave up. Six hours later I get a text message on my cell stating I was now the highest bidder on all 3 chainsaws due to a bid retraction! I ended up winning two when it was all said and done, but had to contact the seller and explain to them what happened. I only had to pay for one, and they put the other one back up for bid. Whew!

Unfortunately, it sounds like it was shill bidding. I hope you got it for a reasonable price at least!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I never heard of shill bidding until you mentioned it in your reply. I had to google it. I find it extremely odd that one bid retraction affected all 3 chainsaw bids. I did get the 50cc gas chainsaw for $80.00 which I thought was a good price, but I originally started my bid at $60.00. I'm wondering if I should report this to EBAY?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I have a sin to confess

But that is fraud..if you had sold it to me it wouldn't have been the end of it. I have recently taken to chasing down scummy eBay sellers usually involving a full refund, I won't even pay postage to return items if at all. I hate people who think they can rip others off and eBay is full of them, but we don't have to accept it, threatening to charge back usually gets results. If in UK and a business the threat of trading standards does the trick.
Shill bidding is illegal in the UK if you can prove it contact the police, they have convicted eBay sellers for it already, rightly so too.
edit on 27-7-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I have a sin to confess

Ugh, this kind of crap is why I will not touch eBay with a 10 foot pole. Too many unscrupulous sellers.

Now conflictor, I'm not talking about you here. I sympathize on what you have to deal with from clueless buyers.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I never heard of shill bidding until you mentioned it in your reply. I had to google it. I find it extremely odd that one bid retraction affected all 3 chainsaw bids. I did get the 50cc gas chainsaw for $80.00 which I thought was a good price, but I originally started my bid at $60.00. I'm wondering if I should report this to EBAY?

I don't know. You can't tell who the high bidder actually is (was) for an item, but you may be able to tell by looking at the bid history for each item. If you see the same bidder and usually they are new with very low feedback, it's possible it was shill bid. You can also view all of the seller's ended items to see if that same bidder was bidding on all of that same seller's stuff. I sell most things with Buy It Now or Best Offer so I can review offers. I also have bidder requirements setup. That's another Seller rant I have, lol buyers that are automatically blocked due to their past ebay stuff and they want me to remove the limit just for them, uhhh no, there is a reason why it's there!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo

I have a sin to confess

But that is fraud..if you had sold it to me it wouldn't have been the end of it. I have recently taken to chasing down scummy eBay sellers usually involving a full refund, I won't even pay postage to return items if at all. I hate people who think they can rip others off and eBay is full of them, but we don't have to accept it, threatening to charge back usually gets results. If in UK and a business the threat of trading standards does the trick.
Shill bidding is illegal in the UK if you can prove it contact the police, they have convicted eBay sellers for it already, rightly so too.

I didn't think this poster was serious???

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

I have a sin to confess

Ugh, this kind of crap is why I will not touch eBay with a 10 foot pole. Too many unscrupulous sellers.

Now conflictor, I'm not talking about you here. I sympathize on what you have to deal with from clueless buyers.

If you do your research on the seller (only buy from those with 99.5% and above, review their transaction/history to see if they've had experience selling the same item, etc...) and are well informed about the item you are buying you shouldn't have many problems.

I'd say there are more good than bad sellers on ebay, but sure enough if you run across a bad one it leaves a bad taste. However, 1 bad seller doesn't make up the majority, just protect yourself, ask questions, research, etc... before committing to purchasing something.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have only one bad experience to speak of , i won a ssd hard drive and a laptop in a lot very cheap paid for it and waited for it to arrive .

When it did not arrive i messaged the seller who said it was posted with a tracking number but had got lost and he would need to wait 14 days to claim , when i contacted them to ask for the recipt for postage and the tracking number i got a message back saying they were on holiday and have heard no nore since

BUT they did have the name KIMBLE i wonder if it was the brother of richard

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

You are in the seller mode and can't see the buyer for the extra cash the next guy might wave in your face.

I guess you never go into a pawn shop note the price and offer less?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Defrauding people isn't something I think people should joke about.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

You are in the seller mode and can't see the buyer for the extra cash the next guy might wave in your face.

I guess you never go into a pawn shop note the price and offer less?

You must have missed where I said this in my original post?? "I understand frugality. I get it, trust me. I shop around for the best deals as well. But I never expect a seller to tell me the least they will take for an item."

Making an offer that is lower than ticketed price is not the same as asking what the least they will take is. Any store's ticketed price is not the lowest price they will take. I think you either misread or misunderstood my post.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo

Defrauding people isn't something I think people should joke about.

Agreed, but what you think people should and shouldn't joke about isn't the point, no? Am I missing something?

I am not sure if they were actually joking or not, but I read it that way. Seemed weird to "confess a sin" by saying that they sold an expensive burned out light bulb and felt bad for it.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
I have only one bad experience to speak of , i won a ssd hard drive and a laptop in a lot very cheap paid for it and waited for it to arrive .

When it did not arrive i messaged the seller who said it was posted with a tracking number but had got lost and he would need to wait 14 days to claim , when i contacted them to ask for the recipt for postage and the tracking number i got a message back saying they were on holiday and have heard no nore since

BUT they did have the name KIMBLE i wonder if it was the brother of richard

File a claim with eBay. They will side with you unless seller provides everything they ask for. As a buyer they will more than likely side with you because they don't want to lose buyers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join