It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do "Hispanics" feel about illegal immigration?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I am what the United States considers to be a "Hispanic". Here's what my ethnic background is. I am Spanish Jewish, Greek Jewish and Mexican. Although, my great great great grandma on my dads side was British. So im all that. My moms side of the family has been here since the 1500s My dads side since the late 1800s. So, I'm American. I don't relate to any other culture than that.

I don't speak Spanish, my family does not celebrate Mexican holidays.

I do, to this day have realitives that live in Mexico. We are not close at all. But they are there.

With illegal immigration being a huge topic of discussion, how do you fellow Americans of Latin decent feel about illegal immigration?

I feel, like "There's nothing I can do for you, bro. I ain't mad at you, I know you want to do better for you and your family, but the way things are now, I can't help you."

Maybe this is the way that the West Germans felt about their East German brothers and sisters.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

As a Mexican American myself, I do understands both sides of the story. My parents were both illegal immigrants that came to this country back in the early 70's . They went through so much crossing the border and enduring conditions that I hope to never experience. They are now US Citizens and thanks to them, me and my sister were born here in the US about 10+ years later. We had opportunities that we would have NEVER had in Mexico and for that I am thankful. I have also met many people that their parents endured the same struggle. However, growing up during the 80's and 90's, I got to see a HUGE influx of Central Americans that came to this country legally (they were escaping civil war in their country) and the rise of violence consumed my area rapidly. My parents would tell me stories of how there were nothing but white folks in the park (now overtaken by peddlers and drug dealers) and the streets were kept nice and clean. That changed due to the "legal" immigration that took place.

I can't speak for other Mexicans that came to the country illegally and what happened in their part of town, but in my part of town, "legal" immigration completely transformed this part of Los Angeles. I've met really good Central American people and not all of them are bad, but it was those bad apples that came from their country and started turning this area like where they came from. At the end of the day, it didn't matter if you came here illegally or legally.

I do believe that everyone should have an opportunity but like you said, the way things are at this point in time, immigration should be controlled at the border. I have relatives in Mexico that would never set foot here in the USA because they like their life over there and work with the resources they have. I think that the Mexican or any government should make their country a better place so their people stay and make their economy better.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

WRONG QUESTION TO ASK

Never ask a victim or a criminal a question

If what he did was purposefully allowed and encouraged by the government

edit on 27-7-2015 by ShortNoodle1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

My Mother is Italian, and immigrated legally as a war bride in the 40's, having married my Dad who is 3/4 Mexican and 1/4 Mex. Indian(I don't know which tribe). I have over 10 family members from both sides that have come here as a result of going through the legal process, some taking years and lots of money to attain citizenship.

The hot potato of this topic is discussed at family gatherings, and most fall into 2 categories: "I came here after going through the process, if "they" want to live here, "they" should too", and "Can you blame them? All they want is a better life for their family, and if they come under the radar, and end up with amnesty, good for them". Never is the discussion of logistics, infrastructure or fiscal entitlements, if applicable. Never is the discussion on employment impact, taxation contribution, or emphasis on learning English as the primary language of communication. I think it is ingenuous to have an inclusive immigration policy without all details addressed, and illegal immigration impacts the legal process, denying those that seek to live here legally.

Our families maintain many traditions and celebrate our heritage as it has a great bearing on who we are, part of our identity. When asked, I'm not Italian-American, or Mexican-American--just American. I'm not denying my heritage, but associate my identity with the country I live in and contribute to. IMO,the immigration process and qualifications should revert back to those necessary 100 years ago--clean bill of health, no criminal record, proof of a viable trade, sponsorship by a legal citizen, and a means of self-sufficiency. Using that criteria, immigration would be viewed as a positive, a new group contributing to the established structure of this Country.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I know some people from Mexico. They say that they didn't cross the border, the border crossed them.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShortNoodle1

WRONG QUESTION TO ASK

Never ask a victim or a criminal a question

If what he did was purposefully allowed and encouraged by the government

I didnt ask any criminals anything. Is that what you see when you look at a "Hispanic"?

Are you hispanic?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist

La specifically has been swamped by it but in all honesty the ones who are legal real talk put up business or get to work. Living in Burbank I'm surrounded by 5 cities predominantly Latin American all the business running fine. Yeah some are poorer neighborhoods but you know which part of town is housing degenerates. Their territory is usually marked lmao.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 5thNovember

It has its good areas and its bad ones (the area where I grew up in, people getting shot right in front of me as a kid). I am just glad that because of my parents determination to go through what they went through, I am now here in the US and my kids are here as well. I am able to provide them with opportunities that they would have never had, had I been born in Mexico (living in poverty, etc)

Now they get to live in an upper class neighborhood in Orange County, and it ultimately came down to many things of course (my upbringing, my life decisions) but being a legal or illegal immigrant did not define who my parents were as people.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm an American, living in Mexico. My wife is Mexican. Been here for almost 20 years. The thing is this: People should be able to live where ever and however they want to live, within the law. If you want to live in America, you have to follow the rules of America. If you want to live in Mexico, you have to follow their rules.

Mexico doesn't want people living here, unemployed and lazy. You have to contribute and do your part. There are no "free rides". And living on the streets, is not permitted. If you don't have a source of income, they will deport you! If you're "running from the law", they WILL catch you, and deport you. If you break the law, they will put you in jail or pay your way out; then, deport you. Depends.

Mexico and the Mexican people are not as "poor" as you've been led to believe, either. How can a nation, whose citizens that actually OWN LAND, be poor, when land is the most valuable resource on our planet???

And, BTW, Mexicans are hardly the only race "crossing the Mexican border illegally". What about the Canadian border??? What? Canada gets no beef because it's "white", therefore, nobody is crossing their border "illegally"?

Let's be righteous in our judgements, at least!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I come from a mixed background -- Half Mexican and Half Spaniard.
My family has ties to both Mexico and Spain -- meaning I have family in both countries still.
I'm also, currently, located in the bay area of California and I have crossed paths with plenty of Latin American immigrants and let me tell you that these people work very hard here to make a living for themselves. I've seen these very same people be treated like a disease by others and it's infuriating.
I'm all for immigration, however, I am in full belief that one must come to the states LEGALLY. It is unfair to the citizens of the United States too have to essentially take care of illegal immigrants on their tax dollars just like it would be unfair to any other nations populace if they had to do the same with illegal immigrants.

~Sovereign

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
A lot of Hispanics are of Native descended and they are not complaining about the immigration and genocide of Native peoples that goes on to this very day, so.....
I guess they are just being big hearted like that.

edit on 27-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My parents are both from Latin American countries, I was born here (in the Bronx). I don't know the life of an illegal immigrant since both parents migrated to the US legally in the 70s.

When I do meet someone that's here illegally, it's always the same feeling, "damn primo, that's tough and I hope it gets better for you", but at the same time, its just how it is/nothing I can do and a risk was taken...just have to live with it now.

It would be nice for the mother countries to turn themselves around and be a more suitable place for their people.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm a legal immigrant. My parents were Cuban refugees in Costa Rica where I was born. They waited ten years before finally getting the green light to come to the US.

I got my citizenship nearly 4 years ago after I joined the Army.

If your first act is to invade someone's country and break their laws, then I have zero sympathy for you.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Im not a immigrant or related to any hispanic/latin or indians. I personally dont care where you are from IF you follow the LAW and do NOT INVADE the country i call home. Oh but its because they want a better life... DO IT LEGALLY.
OH its too exspensive...STOP SENDING MONEY BACK HOME TILL YOU GET CITIZENSHIP THEN.
I work hard.... DONT MATTER HOW HARD YOU WORK YOU BROKE THE LAW AND DESERVE NO PITY OR HELP.

Look im not a stone cold person. I understand its tough,but if we stop following the law we become no better than animals. Tis kinder to be Cruel in this case in the long run.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

When you meet an "illegal", Do they tell you that they are here illegally? Or can you just tell by the way they speak?

Here in New Mexico, we have "illegals" who speak perfect English and we also have citizens who's families have been this side of the border since the 1600s that have very heavy accents or can't speak English at all.

In Albuquerque we have straight up white folk that have heavy accents. We also have Mexicans from Mexico that look like Mr and Mrs Cleaver.

I wonder if it's the same every place else?

Do White folk only think of color when they hear the word "Hispanic"?

edit on 2-8-2015 by galaga because: (no reason given)

top topics

join