It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D-printed UAV launches from Royal Navy ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

This is quite a bizarre thing, as the title states, a Royal Navy ship has launched a 3D printed UAV successfully. What might be the long term implications of this?

Are thoughts of ships replicating their own UCAV's, in theatre, to make good operational losses far fetched. I really don't know what to make of this. Any thoughts guys?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos
the main components..sensors motor guidance were installed in a plastic body..this is no big deal at all.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Right now they're not very useful. It only flew a couple of minutes. But if they could eventually build their own bodies and fit the components, that would be a huge advantage. No more need for space for the aircraft themselves until you needed them.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think, with developments like this, you don't purely look at what was done, which is indeed no big deal, virtually a model plane was built.

I think you need to think of the potential of future developments. could it change the way navies use air power at sea? May it one day make carriers redundant? Or will large sections of future carrier be floating aircraft factories?

I think to dismiss it entirely as no big deal is wrong. Otherwise why did they do it?

This technology is probably at where the Wrights were in 1903.
edit on 27-7-2015 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkstar57
the main components..sensors motor guidance were installed in a plastic body..this is no big deal at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "installed in a plastic body"? Well, obviously I know what you mean, but given the medium of 3D printing, is that not a given anyway?

The article said;

SULSA measures 150cm (59in) and weighs 3kg (6.6lb), and is made via 3D printing using laser sintered nylon. The university claims that SULSA is the world’s first UAV made entirely via the technique.

Not so long ago, just 3D printing itself was a big deal. That's why I wonder where it may go in future.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
UK seem yo be really leading the way with 3D military parts.

Nice to see our ingenity not completly dead.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It's Swarm!

Factories on ships aren't useful at all, I'll take 'em off your hands if you'd like.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos
[

Not so long ago, just 3D printing itself was a big deal. That's why I wonder where it may go in future.

3D printing is basically just modern day rapid prototyping/rapid manufacturing which is 80's technology.

I do however get what you are saying about how this is a placeholder in history ( even though it's basically a model plane launched from a ship that didn't manufacture it!).

I suspect everyone is completely underwhelmed due to the fact our imaginations have already been sparked by the prospect of this type of thing... by BAE no less..

Massive difference between concepts and reality so good find.
edit on 27-7-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Thanks for the video, I haven't seen that before but it does show the kind of thing I was talking about.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
With all of our advanced military technology, the best airplanes in the history of this planet, the most accurate space guided missiles, advanced photo reconnaissance that can read a license plate from 200 miles in space, weapon bearing drones controlled by a technician 15,000 miles away, training that cost a million dollars for one soldier or marine in urban warfare, ships that are fast, stealth, loaded with missiles and over the horizon radar, Why then do we get our butts kicked continually by a bunch of ragtag third world ak47 toting knuckleheads in the back of Toyota pickup trucks? Why?!?!? Somebody please tell me.

Maybe we aren't buying enough Toyota pickup trucks.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: icewater

Because unless we are willing to go in and level the entire area the only way to tell combatants from non-combatants is when they start shooting. And our troops are under ridiculous rules of engagement when they do fight that it's like fighting with one hand tied behind your back, and four fingers of the remaining hand cut off.
edit on 7/27/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Nice one, go Royal Navy! Some of the Bae concepts for drones are amazing including the one that prints off components and mini drones etc as they are required.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I used to believe that. I experienced the rules of engagement and how ridiculous they are in a combat situation. They have gotten more soldiers and Marines killed in these Urban warfare wars than any other one thing I think. But my impression is that has changed since I was out there. Once the unit gets the Go order it is on. And I see all of this high tech weaponry.....I used to sit in on briefs of weapons coming in the future and how they would work and would think, "Man, war or not, this isn't even fair". And yet the knuckleheads still beat us with 80's technology and weapons. We spend billions on all kinds of weapons systems, much of which gets right into the grunts hands on the battlefield but it still doesn't seem to matter. One IED and we are whipped and the bad guys are pumped up.

Leadership has got to start looking at war fighting from this perspective. If we are reduced to urban warfare probably we shouldn't get involved. The life of our soldiers, marines and sailors are worth more than that. I once told my commanding officer that I never took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution of (the third world war torn Arab country we were in at the time). He had no answer. The outcome of the war in that country in no way affected the security of the United States yet we were getting out brave fighting men killed and it was for politics.

top topics

join