It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama’s Plan to Revamp Discipline in Schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Okay, so what do we do about it?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Remove barriers that have come up that prevent parents from disciplining their children. It's illegal to even SPANK your kids now. All they have to do is cry foul and you're charged with battery.

Even sending kids to time-out or something is being looked down on today. It's all about "We need to empower our children, not discipline them!" today. Even yelling at your kid is frowned upon these days.

I can think of a number of kids that are in desperate need of a good butt-whoopin' to straighten them out, and none of them today are getting it.

I called my mom a B*tch once. And only once. A cast iron pan to the head corrected that behavior awful quick. And I thank her for doing that today.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: kaylaluv

The problem is too few parents discipline their children anymore. I see videos on youtube all the friggin time with some kid acting like a little hellion in a public space, and when someone finally has enough and asks the parents to do something the response is always "DON'T YOU TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MY KID" or some other such bullcrap, and then letting the little creep go on about destroying crap.

While I agree that is true..

What is your solution?

Should the state be able to step in?

That is a dangerous precedent.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It's illegal to even SPANK your kids now.

Not necessarily. It depends on the state in which you live and to what extent you take it to.

A cast iron pan to the head is well-beyond reasonable and cannot be compared to a swat on the ass.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If more black kids get in trouble than other kids then the natural outcome will be that more black kids get suspended. .it's simple math
If there are more black kids at a school it would seem obvious that more black kids get in trouble. ..race is not the issue.
Say you have 10 kids in a class 4 black kids cause trouble 3 white kids cause trouble and 3 kids act right, someone will still call racism. ....you can't win even if the 3 kids that act right are black. You just can't win.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Remove barriers that have come up that prevent parents from disciplining their children. It's illegal to even SPANK your kids now. All they have to do is cry foul and you're charged with battery.

Are you sure about that?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

By the way, I have never hit my kid - punished her, yes. She is 14, and I have had no behavioral problems with her. How do I punish her? By taking away things/events/people she loves the most. Works every time. Hitting not required.

I think we need mandatory parental training classes, but that would mean the government is telling us how to raise our kids. The HORROR!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

True enough, and yes a Cast Iron pan to the head IS excessive.

But I was probably quite the little hell-raiser, looking back on my teenage years, and squarely deserving of it.

It's probably because I got the pan to the head that I'm not in jail or addicted to drugs or something. I was going down a pretty dark path before that happened. She hit me, and things really hit the fan. I cried, I was bleeding, I was shaking, I was angry. My mom sat me down after that and explained a lot of things to me, and why what I was doing was the wrong way to do things. I never listened to her before, but that night I did, at it STUCK, because every time I thought about stealing that purse, or sneaking out at night to bone Johnny Football Hero, I'd think of that pan, and what she said to me afterwards.

Was it over the top? You bet. Did it get my attention? Absolutely. I'm not saying such extreme measures should employed for any other child, but a simple spanking can correct a LOT of behavior problems in young children. I'm not talking of just physical discipline, though.

I'm talking about how even the CONCEPT of punishing bad behavior, be it spanking, grounding, yelling, etc is being sorely looked down on in today's society. I don't pretend to have an answer. I don't have kids, so I have almost no business speaking about it, but I do have my own experience with my own parents, and how they shaped me. And PUNISHING my bad behavior was effective.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why don't they address the real problem instead of excusing, blaming, and perpetuating the idea that every problem in the minority community is because of racism?

When 73% of black babies are born out of wedlock, there is a problem in that population and it is not because of racism.

There can be no solution until the PC manual is thrown out the window and the real problems are addressed honestly.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Fair enough. I can agree with that sentiment.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
a reply to: Aliensun

What black culture? There is no black culture any more. Black non-culture, maybe. And that's the problem.

Exactly.

Not every culture is a good culture.

Black culture seems to = poverty, crime and lack of education.

I know many successfull blacks and they all have one thing in common, they shunned and rejected black culture.
edit on 27-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

It may be the only answer.

I am definitely opposed to expelling a child.

But, I'm also definitely opposed to letting any child disrupt other children trying to learn.

I suggest a military type detention school in every neighborhood, run my law enforcement, National Guard, etc.

What is the goal? The goal is for the child to learn. If the child lacks respect for education and authority, child needs to be forced into a situation to accept it. Then return child to his/her regular school.

This is not the Wild West. We have evolved into a controlled society. It is what it is.

There are many available ways of self expression without being disrespectful to others.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I know your post was sarcasm..

Because my brain would regurgitate upon itself if I found a human being that truly believed that.
edit on 27-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I tend to agree with Kali that some sort of parenting classes would be the best bet to at least lay some groundwork. Though, not government run. They would be businesses that teach parenting, BY successful parents. Preferably with a degree in child behavior or something. It could be a free service to those who have health insurance or something. Heck, I'd jump for friggin' joy if parents with empty nests would volunteer to teach expecting and struggling parents how to deal with kids.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I tend to agree with Kali that some sort of parenting classes would be the best bet to at least lay some groundwork. Though, not government run. They would be businesses that teach parenting, BY successful parents. Preferably with a degree in child behavior or something. It could be a free service to those who have health insurance or something. Heck, I'd jump for friggin' joy if parents with empty nests would volunteer to teach expecting and struggling parents how to deal with kids.

Parenting classes are not going to change a culture. A culture is the hardest thing in the world to change.

These kids don't have time for a soft approach.

Save them NOW.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I love watching those television shows where they take unruly kids and put them with strict parents.

One in particular was where they put some kids in the care of a former drill sergeant. I'd like to see more of that happen. Not like those "camps" that you see where kids are deprived of nearly every resource and ran ragged, but something like a strict, structured environment that I saw in that show. But again, keep government out of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Governments need to stop cutting funds to education, thats the real issue, not someones personal opinion.

It's not the spending.

It's the multi-level corruption that makes governments a failure.

The U.S. has tried the ultra-spending approach and it has failed.

Even though the U.S. public education system is run by the ultra-educated academic class.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Parenting classes are not going to change a culture. A culture is the hardest thing in the world to change.

These kids don't have time for a soft approach.

Save them NOW.

A "cleansing" is needed.

Hmmm.. I've heard that somewhere.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The politicians who run the U.S. Dept of Education know no more about Education than the politicians who Run NASA know about astrophysics.
edit on 27-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: rockintitz

I suggest a military type detention school in every neighborhood, run my law enforcement, National Guard, etc.

What is the goal? The goal is for the child to learn. If the child lacks respect for education and authority, child needs to be forced into a situation to accept it. Then return child to his/her regular school.

I am not totally opposed to a military type program, but sending the kid back to all the bad influences and no good parenting, I'm afraid it would be all too easy to revert back to bad habits.

Take the kid away for the duration of their schooling, with limited supervised parental visitation only allowed.

I still think mandatory parent training classes would help in the long run.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I love watching those television shows where they take unruly kids and put them with strict parents.

One in particular was where they put some kids in the care of a former drill sergeant. I'd like to see more of that happen. Not like those "camps" that you see where kids are deprived of nearly every resource and ran ragged, but something like a strict, structured environment that I saw in that show. But again, keep government out of it.

No, I'm not talking about "survival school" --- well, unless there's a really tough case.

I'm talking about a military type school of regulations, respect, and discipline.

I was never a wild kid, but I was raised without discipline. Do you know how hard that is on a kid? Some of these kids have never had consistent structure in their lives. I know how much it matters that someone cares enough to make you pay attention to them, to make you understand they deserve respect, because all they're doing is trying to help you.

I get so sick of the anti-government types. Sure, there is corruption, but the government does a lot of good too. They deserve credit for that.

EDIT: I think parenting classes along with a detained type military structure for the kids is a good idea.

edit on 27-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join