It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama’s Plan to Revamp Discipline in Schools

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well we now have a plan to somehow relieve the public school system of the discipline that has many students out of school and being targeted with what is being classified as "unfair".

The claim by the problem solvers is that "racism" is systemic and unconsciously administered.

Many things are outlined in the article ......

Are these "plans" going to be effective?

Are the "causes" valid?

President Obama’s Plan to Revamp Discipline in Schools

On July 22, the White House tweeted to its 6.5 million Twitter followers: “The number of students suspended in America each year could fill 45 Super Bowl stadiums. It’s time to #RethinkDiscipline in our schools.”

United States President Barack Obama highlighted a troubling statistic. Almost 3.5 million students were suspended from school during 2001-2012, according to the U.S. Department of Education; another 3.5 million were suspended in-school, meaning they were not sent home but were not allowed to go to class; and a whopping 130,000 students were expelled.

American education is in crisis. Our schools are in crisis.

President Obama says the solution is to rethink discipline—especially when it comes to disciplining black and minority students. According to the White House, black students are 3.5 times more likely to be suspended than white students. This “disproportionality” in suspensions is evidence of systemic racism within the educational system, it says.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
All I have to say is, "teachers need to be paid much much more then".

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Systemic racism.....

The fact that black families, aren't raising their kids right, thus they get into trouble more often, is institutional racism?

Seems more likely my 3 white children who have never been in trouble even once in school, just got taught some act right by mom and dad.

I guess i'm the racist for providing my kids with act right though aren't I?

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The solution to discipline in schools needs to start at home. If your kid is getting suspended, it's probably NOT because the school is racist. It's most likely because the kid did something that WARRANTED suspension.

Parents in the US are leaving WAY too much in the hands of the system for raising their kids. Discipline your children at home, and they won't act up in school. Easy cheesy.

ETA: This obviously can't be addressed until the U.S. stops punishing parents for disciplining their children. Seriously, the whole system is jacked to the point that correcting your child's behavior can land you in jail. What the hell.
edit on 27-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm sure it's just racism and not behavioral problems...

I'm so confident of that fact because there are no black teachers.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

How about changing a recently popular saying "Black lives matter" to one that has some real meaning,

such as "Black culture matters" and drive that home where it needs to be understood and accepted.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I believe this article is misleading and incorrect. You can read more about it here.

The U.S. Departments of Education and Justice are hosting teams of superintendents, principals, and teachers from across the country today for "Rethink Discipline," a day-long conference at the White House on creating positive school climates and implementing effective discipline practices. The conference seeks to advance the national conversation about reducing the overuse of unnecessary out of school suspensions and expulsions and replacing these practices with positive alternatives that keep students in school and engaged in learning, but also ensure accountability.

Race is not as big of an issue as the article makes you believe. Also have to consider the source of the article.

TheTrumpet.com is the official website of the Philadelphia Trumpet newsmagazine. Each weekday, theTrumpet.com features reporting and analysis of recent global geopolitical, economic, social and religious events and trends.

The Trumpet magazine, which began in February 1990, is published 10 times a year by the Philadelphia Church of God. It is available by subscription absolutely free.

The Trumpet uses a single overarching criterion that sets it apart from other news sources and keeps it focused like a laser beam on what truly is important. That criterion is prophetic significance. The Trumpet seeks to show how current events are fulfilling the biblically prophesied description of the prevailing state of affairs just before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

Source

I believe this may be propaganda.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

What black culture? There is no black culture any more. Black non-culture, maybe. And that's the problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I would like to see how many kids could fill a stadium(s) who technically should not have graduated...more than that I'm sure...

Such a shame that people in positions of authority ignore what ramifications come from a lack of accountability...people seldom realize how distracting one child can be in a classroom who refuses to follow along or pay attention. Each time a teacher has to pause to address a child's behavior you inevitably lose momentum which in turn means your overall ability to learn the subject at hand is hampered. Imagine now you have some just a few kids who teeter on the line of some attention disorder...imagine how off track they now become..

People can bring up pay but regardless how much you pay a teacher, the quality of education is child is going to receive is not going to get any better. The teacher will feel better that he or she is getting better compensated to deal with a tougher audience but overall it does nothing to keep the classroom orderly ...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If parents would do their job, the government would have no need to step in to "redefine discipline" in the schools.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I believe this may be propaganda.

You could be right !!

Let's figure out the correct problems and solutions.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness

What black culture? There is no black culture any more. Black non-culture, maybe. And that's the problem.

That was my point!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's not the teachers or the schools fault at all.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The Govt. can sure take steps to cure a problem that may not be the problem at all . I think you have it nailed with the propaganda tag .

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

HEres a thought. change that to AMERICAN CULTURE instead and stop playing into this whole color issue.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

#RethinkDiscipline

Doesn't sound Orwellian in the slightest.

American education is in crisis. Our schools are in crisis.

And no one seems to mention who's in charge of that failure.
edit on 27-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

HEres a thought. change that to AMERICAN CULTURE instead and stop playing into this whole color issue.

That change was attempted with the "All lives matter," but blacks and liberals beat the tar out of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
If parents would do their job, the government would have no need to step in to "redefine discipline" in the schools.

If no one ever used a gun for nefarious purposes, there would be no need for any kind of gun restrictions.

If no one ever committed a crime, there would be no need for prisons or jails.

If only we were all perfect....

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Governments need to stop cutting funds to education, thats the real issue, not someones personal opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The problem is too few parents discipline their children anymore. I see videos on youtube all the friggin time with some kid acting like a little hellion in a public space, and when someone finally has enough and asks the parents to do something the response is always "DON'T YOU TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MY KID" or some other such bullcrap, and then letting the little creep go on about destroying crap.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join