It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton sets renewable energy goals to spur more wind, solar power

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have solar panels on my roof, and 3 wind turbines, Its not cheap at first, especially if your also trying to keep the power with a battery bank. I dont think this is impossible, The problem becomes how much money does the government want to spend on a real system. The technology exists, either solar panels, solar troughs, solar towers, and would create many many new jobs. I just dont see the public even wanting to acccept the challenge, unless we are put into a situation which requires change. I hate to be so negative, but Ive done solar and wind, there is much more to it than just thowing some panels on a roof. you need charge controllers, and batteries if you plan to store your power. It would be beneficial if there was substation energy collectors for a certain number of homes and totally do away with individual storage of power. that would take a lot of the problems away from the consumers. A few years back when Obama tried the same thing, the company I work for tried and succeeded in bending glass for a certain type of solar concentraters, it would have been a great working system, but the companies buying the glass and putting in the orders, IMO were really only using the system. Millions and millions of dollars were just thrown out there for start up companies with ideas really, nothing concrete. so of course it failed

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

But Bone... if you like your power company, you can keep your power company.

Hillary could promise to lower the cost by $2500 per family.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Obama did in fact say something like that back in 2008.

But sure, maybe Hillary has a different "plan".

Anything is possible.

Obama: My Plan Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket

Barack Obama: "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." (January 2008)

That's why I said in the OP:
" Let's hope she does things a little different than Obama. "

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Fear not! Hillary was sure to send every Oil Co. CEO prior notification of her announcement assuring them it was only meant as a suggestion. Unless of course all the solar panel companies have been bought up by them already. Solar energy is no good in their book until they figure out how to charge for sunlight. Don't laugh too hard I'm sure they can come up with something

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ok, there's 1 thing Obama was honest about.
Care to shoot for 2?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I would hope this would be one of the areas where all sides would be happy to push for. renewable energy grid would do such a huge service to the nation (and world), but more importantly, with heavily reduced electric bills, more money can be pushed back into the economy. higher standard of living, cleaner energy, etc. all wins.

Thing is though that these solar energy schemes NEVER create even enough
energy to compensate for the ENERGY it takes to manufacture them.

Not to mention the environmental pollution that comes from
the manufacturing process, and then when the life span is over
the toxic waste that comes from taking them out of service!

It is all a money making scheme for the companies, and the politcians!
edit on 27-7-2015 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Ambitious! Seems like a great idea to me.

The generation of clean energy, green technology, permaculture, organic and permaculture everything could be the next gold rush for investors. Nothing gets done on a grand scale unless there is money in it. Only these people have the means to do it on a large scale. Make it worth while financially and change will come. Change is coming.

In the UK we have over 500, 000 homes with solar power now. The Guardian reported that by 2020 there are targets to have 10, 000, 000 UK homes with solar panels. There are many wind farms here, solar farms, tidal generated power projects and a whole heap of alternative experiments, green wise.

Better than all that horrible nuclear energy with all its waste and threats to us. Better than the fossil fuels that are so dirty and as we know pose their own threats.

Good luck to anyone in power and business who is going down this avenue. It is the future. Don't be nay saying about it all. Try and get involved. May be you, too, could get lucky and find your own gold nugget, people.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I would hope this would be one of the areas where all sides would be happy to push for. renewable energy grid would do such a huge service to the nation (and world), but more importantly, with heavily reduced electric bills, more money can be pushed back into the economy. higher standard of living, cleaner energy, etc. all wins.

Yes indeedy. I prefer to dwell on the positive and hope for the best. The could be a real step in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Solar is practically worthless in some areas of the country, plus the energy storage technology is still crappy. She can "want" all she wants but it ain't gonna happen. Renewables are currently less than 7% of all generation in the US. Just another "PP" (politician promise).

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Hillary says she will install 500,000,000 solar panels if and when she is President.

Of course she will. She will need it for her off the grid email servers.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i remember icke pointing out (yes icke, and i assume this applies to your elections as much as UKs) ... that all these politicians can make all these grandiose promises .. to get us to elect them into power ..

But .. unlike most other established legal systems ... they are not bound by contract ... so .. they can pretty much say what ever they like .. and once they are in power .. can pretty much just brush it under the carpet with excuses til the majority just forget, and the rest say, oh well .. thats politicians for ya ... what can ya do ..

pfft .. now, i have no links to very this ... its just my opinion .. but i reckon, she is a monster ... a despicable human being .. this is all just a power and ego game to them all . .and YOU are nothing to them, but the source of their power .. they care nothing of any of you .. and am surprised at anyone in this thread even contemplating she cares cos of what she said .. not saying it wouldn't be a good thing to have the solar panels .. just sayin its not a good thing to hear it from her ...

Anything any of these people say, should go straight to the brain bin ...

if there was something in place .. that effectively 'makes' these politicians try to their fullest extent, to keep their promises that got them into power.. perhaps i would have a wee bit more faith in the system and their words .. but as we do this every single election .. and play teh game of lies to see who can tell the best lies ... perhaps we really do bring it upon ourselves and deserve what we get ... they seem to think so ...
edit on 27-7-2015 by Segenam because: editing is a great way to pass the time ...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Just a Campaign Ploy. Like it isn't happening on its own. Anything that had to pass Boehners desk would be stopped in its tracks.

Carter put Solar Panels on the White House, Reagan 1st day in Office took them down.

The 2 Parties ought to start their own Countries, outside the US. The Republicans would probably pick Palestine, Democrats who knows.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes, playing Caesar (We came and he died) with oil producing nations like Libya, now claiming shes for 'cleaner energy'.

She should clean up her own yard, the drain says no dumping, flows to bay.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

I take it you have no confidence in Hillary?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Few days ago I read about coal in the US and that the government basically wants to get rid of coal. But energy from coal at least was very very cheap and people in the US they use ALLOT of energy.

Just see this list:
en.wikipedia.org...
Per capita 2.4 times more then people in the EU.

So with this new plan of creating clean energy, which is a good thing I guess but what about the energy bills, can people still afford their energy bills after they made 500,000,000 solar panels and other forms of cleaner energy?

But I have seen houses in the US, when comparing them to Europe (no double walls with isolation material inside or triple glass for example) and the many rules we have, everyone here watch very carefully about buying stuff that is energy efficient (also cars (mostly smaller cars) which are fuel efficient).. so my point is the US can gain lots with pushing people trying to use less energy and build better houses which don't cost a lot for heating etc.

edit on 27-7-2015 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So this means she has
1- Major contributors from the electricians unions
2- Major contributors who are photovoltaics manufacturers.

All joking aside, I honestly don't think I could ever trust this woman in a thousand years.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Skeptical. Unless the technology can get there, it's going to be expensive. I don't see it happening because of the cost. And also people forget the huge resistance to wind farms and even solar farms from environmental activists. Don't even pretend for a moment we can just build these things on people's roofs. Lol!!! A lot of people live in apartments too. A lot of this will be centralized, like concentrated solar or wind/solar farms. It's ironic the argument in favor of these renewables--they're friendly to the environment--is denied as untrue in many cases. The communities--where theyr'e supposed to be built--don't want them. So until they can cut the cost of these or increase the efficiency substantially and also address the resistance to them, I don't see this gaining much ground.

They should instead enforce restrictions on coal power emissions. That wil open the door for many other companies to be more competitive. And it's a long time in coming, since coal is a major polluter. Coal emits more radiaoactive particles by far than our nuclear facilities. And about 13,000 die yearly in the US. More died in past decades because of lower standards. And in other countries the death toll is much higher for the same reason. (Also note coal power is a major agent in AGW.)

www.wsj.com - Coal-Fired Power Plant Loses Steam...
www.newscientist.com - Fossil fuels are far deadlier than nuclear power...
motherboard.vice.com - What's the Deadliest Power Source?...
nextbigfuture.com - Deaths per TWH by energy source ...

Conclusion:
Nothing is perfectly safe. Chasing perfection can cause us to ignore just improving and trading worse for a lot better. Non-roof installations of solar is safer than roof installation. Nuclear, wind, solar and hydro are a lot safer than coal and oil. Natural gas is safer but not as much as nuclear and those others. The focus needs to be on getting rid of the most dangerous energy sources which are coal and oil first. Then after that decades long project is done to look at the other energy sources. Safety and improvements for all energy sources should be made as we go.

edit on 27-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: ugmold

I take it you have no confidence in Hillary?

Correct

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

Thing is though that these solar energy schemes NEVER create even enough
energy to compensate for the ENERGY it takes to manufacture them.

Not to mention the environmental pollution that comes from
the manufacturing process, and then when the life span is over
the toxic waste that comes from taking them out of service!

It is all a money making scheme for the companies, and the politcians!

citation needed.
suggesting solar panels will never pay for themselves is an abusrd statement. this isn't magic or magnets. solar and wind power are very easily paid for almost within the first few years of use.
I recommend some research and stop reading whatever it is you got that tidbit of "wisdom" from

as far as manufacturing process, I admit my knowledge of solar panel manufacturing is limited (not researched) but I find it difficult to believe making solar panels somehow is worse than crude oil plants pumping mass amounts of emmissions into the atmosphere (not to mention accidents like spills), the drilling process, etc.
I do know erecting a wind turbine is simple and can be done with some wire and a few bits of metal...obviously more advanced ones wont be using old lawn mower parts kinda thing, but point is, that I know to be very cheaply and easily made with little to no environmental impact.

I suspect you read some propaganda made by unknown for reasons also unknown that has very little fact outside of "dont look at alt fuels, just stick with oil. Saudi's love us".

But yeah...citation needed I think is what to take away here.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: SaturnFX

Obama did in fact say something like that back in 2008.

But sure, maybe Hillary has a different "plan".

Anything is possible.

Obama: My Plan Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket

Barack Obama: "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." (January 2008)

That's why I said in the OP:
" Let's hope she does things a little different than Obama. "

what...no..what?
the reason for a skyrocketing cost would be capping greenhouse gas/tax thing.
with alt energy (solar/wind/etc), there is no gas, no tax. it makes it far more afforable to just swap over to clean energy..he was specifically discussing current energy practices (coal is the discussion being had there).

Do I agree with it...
...kinda.
We wont advance solar power, and in turn cheaper and better solar panels, if we dont eventually have a need.
and once we have cheaper and better panels, then it makes it easy for individuals to buy their own and become fully independent from the grid. the long term benefits are numerous and will lead to more individual independence.

As someone in Florida, where hurricanes are a summertime event quite often, we can end up going weeks without electricity. having to not rely on the grid to cook my meals and warm my water is great..be it individual or neighborhood hub electricity

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join