It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former 'Daily Show' writer: Jon Stewart told me to "f— off" when challenged about black joke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Cenac recalled voicing his reservations again at a writers meeting, which then got Stewart riled up. "I raised a concern, like, 'Are you sure you want to do this?' ... He got incredibly defensive. I remember he was like, 'What are you trying to say? There's a tone in your voice.' I was like, 'There's no tone. It bothered me.' ... And then he got upset. He stood up and he was just like, 'F— off. I'm done with you.' And he just started screaming that to me, and he screamed it a few times. ... 'F— off! I'm done with you.' And he stormed out. I didn't know if I had been fired."

Cenac added, "I represent my community. I represent my people, and I try to represent them the best that I can. I gotta be honest if something seems questionable."

Former 'Daily Show' writer: Jon Stewart told me to "f— off" when challenged about black joke

I think it's kind of messed up that this writer got fired for bringing up the tone and questioning the intent of a joke about another African American. It's weird to me that someone can wear an Obama clown mask and get basically nationally shamed for it, but a comedian with a nationally televised program can make a questionable joke about a black man and then essentially fire a black writer for even questioning it and you don't hear a peep about it for three years. Comedy Central must have a stellar legal team.

Hopefully this story picks up traction and other writers are able to speak up about being bullied by Stewart as well.

edit on 27-7-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
oh joy....more meaningless nonsense to stoke racial tensions in America. Yay.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Sounds like sour grapes. I'm surprised anyone would want to see this "pick up traction," the little man got fired and now wants to cast aspersions.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

He wasn't fired. He chose to leave at the end of 2012. He was also invited back for Stewarts final show.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Looks to me as though this is a non-story, a private matter between colleagues that's being blown out of all proportion.

I didn't see anything in that piece about him being fired, or being fired over this either, so if you have info on that I would like to read it just to have a better understanding of what happened next.

Given the information in the piece, it looks like Stewart had a row with a writer who had reasonable and rational concerns, which Stewart didn't understand.

I can see both sides of this. Obviously Stewart is not racist, so I can see how he would be offended by the suggestion that something he's doing for humor could be seen as such. But I also understand the principled attitude of the writer, he was doing his job and saying that he didn't think this was right and could be taken as an offensive piece.

This really doesn't seem to me to be anything more than any other workplace barney between two principled and passionate individuals who feel the need to speak their mind. No one is at fault here, and I bet that if the two were put in a room together they would probably both be apologizing to the other for the misunderstanding.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

He wasn't fired. He chose to leave at the end of 2012. He was also invited back for Stewarts final show.

Ah, well then this definitely is a non-story.
Clearly this was a workplace spat over a misunderstanding between two very principled creative people. Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
part of me would not be surprised to find out he is leaving the show because the pressures of political correctness are not allowing him to express himself in the way he really wants

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

He didn't get fired.... He worked on the show for a whole year before he left on his own.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
part of me would not be surprised to find out he is leaving the show because the pressures of political correctness are not allowing him to express himself in the way he really wants

well, he was in fact the one trying to force Stewart to be 'politically correct.'

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Obviously Stewart is not racist

I can't say, as I have never spent time alone with him.
We like to think that our 'heroes' are a pure as the wind driven snow, but we really don't know what their real thoughts a particular matter are if we don't interact with them on a personal level.

If we go by what we see on TV, in 1974, Carroll O'Connor was a bigoted racist. In reality, he was not that at all, his politics were liberal.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If what is written is true, I doubt, it's sad. Doing human relation it's John Stewart job! He must had a better answer, a kinder one. What is strange is the text is written 3 years after the event, the article make the victim talk like a grand-mother. He look so kind and sweet, that too much to be realistic.

By the way, I got told to "# off" sometime, and I never been worried. I mean, people are edgy sometime, and it's more a warning than an insult. Something like: "I'm really in bad mood right now, it's better to stop the conversation here." If you already tried this answer, you probably got back to "# off."!

I know it's Stewart's job to handle people rightfully, to have tact and diplomacy. It's sad, that's all, nothing more.

edit on 27-7-2015 by PersonneX because: added a missing word: "like"

edit on 27-7-2015 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
We like to think that our 'heroes' are a pure as the wind driven snow, but we really don't know what their real thoughts a particular matter are if we don't interact with them on a personal level.

He's not a hero to me, he's a funny guy I've watched a few times over the years when someone has linked to one of his videos.

But, without knowing him personally, we have nothing other than what we see, and from everything I have seen about him there's no chance that he's a racist.

Unless something comes along to tell me otherwise, I'll base my opinions of him on the way he carries himself and the opinions he gives, just as I judge everyone else regardless of whether I know them personally or not. That's a far better way to made judgments about people rather than "suspecting" they might be something there is no evidence to support, just for the sake of suspecting.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Sounds like sour grapes. I'm surprised anyone would want to see this "pick up traction," the little man got fired and now wants to cast aspersions.

This is what exactly went through my mind. Everytime I hear an "expose" like this, first thing I look for is if the one exposing got fired. You'd be amazed at how often that turns out to be the case...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Stewart is a funny guy, unfortunately he often makes those jokes at the expense of truth.
People laugh because he reinforces common beliefs that are often untrue.
Making fun of conspiracy theorists or anyone daring to ask questions about things like Sandy Hook or Obama's origins is not my idea of funny, it's more about controlling what people think.
Much of the mockery and derision he likes to pour upon conservatives is the kind of thing that gets you sued but he gets a pass because it's "humor".
I much prefer Steven Colbert.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

He's not a hero to me, he's a funny guy I've watched a few times over the years when someone has linked to one of his videos.

But, without knowing him personally, we have nothing other than what we see, and from everything I have seen about him there's no chance that he's a racist.

Unless something comes along to tell me otherwise, I'll base my opinions of him on the way he carries himself and the opinions he gives, just as I judge everyone else regardless of whether I know them personally or not. That's a far better way to made judgments about people rather than "suspecting" they might be something there is no evidence to support, just for the sake of suspecting.

I don't suspect that he is a racist.
I also don't use someone's TV personality as proof of what type of person they are.

So, for me, since I do not know him personally, I can't just come out and say that he is obviously not a racist.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Anyone who has seen The Daily Show a few times knows that Jon Stewart is anything but racist.

I'd say he's more emotionally invested in racial and gender equality than any other media personality.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Anyone who has seen The Daily Show a few times knows that Jon Stewart is anything but racist.

I'd say he's more emotionally invested in racial and gender equality than any other media personality.

Or he is an actor.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
oh joy....more meaningless nonsense to stoke racial tensions in America. Yay.

Just what the country needs, a little push to kickstart the brewing race war.

Hey I know, maybe our president could help by always using race every single time he speaks, or maybe some outspoken race relations shill could go around making money stoking the hate every single chance he gets, maybe a reverend, someone should let alone Sharpton know.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

at this point i keep looking around hoping snooki or octomom will make a return. I'd much rather have lowbrow to comment on than this manufactured racial nonsense.

Im still holding out hope that Tonya Harding whacks someone in the leg again. Something. Anything.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Or he is an actor.

Exactly!!!!

When seeing someone on TV they can be whoever they want.

Assuming he is not racist based on his TV personality is illogical.

That is like saying Stallone is one of the baddest boxers of all time because you saw the Rocky movies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join