It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School principal commits suicide amid Common Core cheating allegations.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

Common Core is a much more serious thing, actually. You know that brand new data warehouse in Utah? It's going to store massive amounts of data from the children and their families. We questioned our superintendant and all he could say was that there are no names attached to the data. What's the point of storing all this data if no names are attached? I don't believe it for a minute. They are data mining families and children.

“We understand that as a condition of applying for [Race to the Top] grant funding, states obligated themselves to implement a State Longitudinal Database System (SLDS) used to track students by obtaining personally identifiable information,” Luetkemeyer said. “We formally request a detailed description of each change to student privacy policy that has been made under your leadership, including the need and intended purpose for such changes.”

Parents might reasonably assume that the “personally identifiable information” collected for the database will include students' test scores and perhaps other measures of academic proficiency. But they would be much less likely to imagine that the federal government envisions something far more extensive and invasive than merely tracking academic performance. According to the Department of Education’s February 2013 report Promoting Grit, Tenacity, and Perseverance: Critical Factors for Success in the 21st Century, “Researchers are exploring how to gather complex affective data and generate meaningful and usable information to feed back to learners, teachers, researchers, and the technology itself. Connections to neuroscience are also beginning to emerge.” (Emphasis added.)

www.thenewamerican.com...

Anyone who is concerned about the invasion of privacy lately should be alarmed at this trend.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This is correct. When I look at common core, I see the principals being taught and know why, but also realize the examples often used are likely extreme.

I learned to simplify and chunk information in my head from an early age, and would scribble a part of the sequence as a placeholder for my thoughts, as saving-point to clear my memory banks for further chunking, if even necessary. Drove the teachers mad until they realized I wasn't cheating, and seldom got incorrect answers.

I can understand trying to lay the foundation with these principals, but if they remain strict with having to show your work, and don't properly teach the chunking method, then it's a waste of time. You may or may not be able to teach people how to shortcut in their heads with math, I just don't know if many have the working memory capacity for it. If not, then the traditional way is more efficient on paper.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join