It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Economists Are Backing Sen. Bernie Sanders on Establishing a $15 an Hour Minimum Wage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
So, question ... if raising the minimum wage (and the suggestion on the table as I understand it is to $10.10 not $15) ...

A MAJORITY of States have minimum wages higher than the Federal Wage, some within a few cents of the proposed new minimum.

Tell me, why haven't businesses in these States gone bankrupt?

Minimum Wages by State

Because the discussion is not $10 min wage, it's $15 min wage.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolRozenberg
I will never be convinced a govt min wage, but certain corporations could institute a policy such as:

No diploma = $7
GED = $8
Diploma = $9
Associates = $10
Bachelor = $11

Rather than a pulse qualifying you for $15

You clearly have no idea of the cost of living here in the states. With the wages you proposed here practically all those people would still need government assistance just to survive. Our min wage has been virtually stagnant since the 80's and hasn't kept up with the cost of living had it kept up then the min wage would be somewhere near 15 bucks an hour.
edit on 1700000002031America/ChicagoSun, 26 Jul 2015 22:05:20 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And the argument against either one is that it will bankrupt businesses.

Thus, my question.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Not really.
The argument is that a drastic increase in minimum wage would result in an increase in unemployment. That, and an untenable increase in inflation.

edit on 7/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I just wanted to say…

If they double minimum wages for working people, prices at the counter will increase, too.

What about those on fixed incomes like disabled, veterans, and seniors, are they going to double their money to make up for the resulting surge of inflation?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Obviously it "fits" their localized economies.

If it's so universally good for everybody, why hasn't every local economy raised the minimum?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Because States don't, won't or can't.

You just pointed out that a majority of states have minimum wages higher than federal law requires.

So, logically, I'm referring to the Stats that don't, won't or can't ... not the one's that have.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If they double minimum wages for working people, prices at the counter will increase, too.

Prove it.

Countries with a higher minimum wage don't seem to pay much more for a loaf of bread, as far as I can tell.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

So, logically, I'm referring to the Stats that don't, won't or can't ... not the one's that have.

Try as I might, I cannot parse that statement.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Not really.
The argument is that a drastic increase in minimum wage would result in an increase in unemployment. That, and an untenable increase in inflation.

Actually most of the "arguments" here have been "because I don't think it should go up."

But, given your position, when minimum wages have gone up before, has that pointed uniformly to an increase in unemployment? Or an increase in inflation?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

But, given your position, when minimum wages have gone up before, has that pointed uniformly to an increase in unemployment? Or an increase in inflation?

There is no data.
The minimum wage has never doubled.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

A Majority of states have increased minimum wage.

Many states still haven't.

The States that haven't are the reason why the Federal Government should establish a new minimum wage.

Remember, this answers your question as to why the Fed should set a minimum wage.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

There is no data.
The minimum wage has never doubled.

So, the impact would be smaller ... but it should still show up, yes?

What data are you basing your comments on then? Increases in unemployment and inflation? Based on what data?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Remember, this answers your question as to why the Fed should set a minimum wage.

No. It doesn't.
All it does is say that different states have different minimum wage rates. Most higher than the federal rate. Nothing about it says that all states should have a minimum of $15.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Obviously it "fits" their localized economies.

If it's so universally good for everybody, why hasn't every local economy raised the minimum?

Because of the arguments you and others are making here?

/shrug

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Prove it.

Countries with a higher minimum wage don't seem to pay much more for a loaf of bread, as far as I can tell.

Did those countries you don't name get their wages roughly doubled overnight?

Maybe its all talk anyway. This is like education reform, immigration reform, and most other reforming, they talk and talk about the issue endlessly across the aisle without actually resolving the problems.

But if they need a new aircraft carrier, signed sealed and delivered, lickity split.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Define "top economist."

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

No. It doesn't.
All it does is say that different states have different minimum wage rates.

Yes it does. You asked the question, I answered it.

Let me be even more clear: States that have not raised the minimum wage on their own must have it done for them.

You may not like the answer, or agree with the answer ... but that is the answer.
edit on 22Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:22:23 -050015p102015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
One of the issues I take with this is even most professional positions in small towns start under 15 dollars an hour. Ask your local cops and fireman what they start at in populations less than 10,000....key here is what they "start" at. You will find most are under 15 bucks an hour.

I'm cool with minimum wage being raised but I think you will see more people skip college and settle for an easier job...why be in debt after school when you can make 30k a year as a stress free janitor? And im in no way knocking janitors as cleaning around the house is one of the most relaxing things I do...I oddly enjoy cleaning and find it soothing...id love to do it for 15 bucks an hour.

This is just something im thinking of I honestly have no clue how this would turn out but id rather take a chill job for 15 bucks an hour than a hustle and bustle job for 20....

Stress free janitor......

Because he has no stress, child support takes $10,000 from him up front, then uncle Sam taxes the entire amount for $4,000.

The stress free janitor is eligible for zero help, and must try to live off $16,000 a year, at $4 a gallon milk prices.

No stress my arse.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Let me be even more clear: States that have not raised the minimum wage on their own must have it done for them.
Consitution be damned. Ok.

Why shouldn't the national minimum wage be consistent, based on the national average cost of living?
Because the cost of living is not consistent from state to state, much less county to county or city to city. Because where is it stated that a kid in high school and living with his parents should be paid a "living wage" whatever the hell that means.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join