It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Economists Are Backing Sen. Bernie Sanders on Establishing a $15 an Hour Minimum Wage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I am in Australia of our two political choices one is principally trade union,they have a lot of clout here

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

I am in Australia of our two political choices one is principally trade union,they have a lot of clout here
Well, there you go. You also have that $15 minimum wage (which probably helps cover your taxes, which cover your social benefits not paid by employers)?

In the US, unions seem be be losing some of their clout. To their own detriment, not that of workers, since the laws to protect them are on the books.

edit on 7/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
There should be no govt defined minimum wage whatsoever. Are you all not capable of negotiating your own salary?

I do jobs from this platform called Workmarket. Mostly IT stuff, but quite a bit of it could be considered "unskilled" mostly due to the VERY specific, almost insultingly so, instructions. The jobs are offered at a price, but you can counteroffer and get your travel included.

A lot of the jobs pay $50, it's only 1 hr work but 1.5 hrs drive each way. I negotiate based on 3 hrs, so $25 hr minimum (that's MY absolute minimum, meaning I try for more) would make it be $75. Some are net 7, some net 30 so I consider that too.
Sometimes I can combine jobs in the same area and get $75 per hr for driving.

But - the point is that I have my own minimum and I say NO quite often. And I add money for fast food joints since all the computers are disgusting with grease & food and I don't like skating on french fries.

If you want McD's to pay more, go fill out an application and when they offer you the job at $7.50 then you say it's not enough and DECLINE. How can you take a job and then complain it doesn't pay enough (unless they misled you as to the nature of the work)? You can re-negotiate after the fact if your performance warrants or the job is more than you bargained for.

Or do you need need someone else to negotiate your pay? Like the govt, or maybe your MOM? Have your mom call your boss.
You might not like that statement, but from where I'm coming from this minimum wage crap is going to force me to raise my minimum, since it will be uncomfortably close to the fast food minimum. Zero is the minimum, and you can move zero around all you want and it's still zero.

Fast food is not meant to be a career unless you get into mgmt. It's for kids and pays a kids wage.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Its sort of a cycle here of Labor-trade unions get elected spend like drunken sailors,Liberals-conservatives come in and clean it up,rinse and repeat.This current government has wound back on the gravy train however,disability and other programmes are much tougher to qualify for now and the razor gang is hard at work.Retirement age is being pushed to 70 etc etc

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SolRozenberg

In a lot of these economically depressed areas across the United States people really don't have any options but to work at these jobs weather it's temporary or not.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Retirement age is being pushed to 70 etc etc

I'll be lucky to retire at 70.
People are living longer (in spite of "chemtrails"), it makes sense to extend the retirement age.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

It's not because they are living longer it's ecause of our fiscal situation.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It's not because they are living longer it's ecause of our fiscal situation.

No, it's because people are collecting benefits for longer than expected when the system was established. That, and the baby boom thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

There's far more millenials than baby boomers.

Wouldn't it make sense that it would be easier for boomers to retire?

More money coming in and all...

oh wait millenials ARENT making any money I forgot

Yeah it has nothing to do with money though right?

Holy crap
edit on 7/26/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Wouldn't it make sense that it would be easier for boomers to retire? More money coming in and all...
I guess you don't understand how the system works. The amount of money coming in has nothing to do with benefits paid.

Have you ever once in your just admit that you either don't know or are wrong?
Often. Just not a lot of reason to do so on ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You hit on a few points that I'm going to try and tackle.
First, negotiating your own wage; Most minimum wage jobs have stacks of applicants, they're often high-turnover jobs (>15%). Wal-Mart, fast food, etc. There's very, very little room for an employee to negotiate. Many low-wage employers have the 'take it or leave it' mentality. There are exceptions, but for the most part, there's going to be 10 people willing to work at that lower wage.

You're doing some "very specific" IT work. That's hardly unskilled, you're skilled in a 'very specific' area, thus, you're worth more than the minimum. Unless you're doing manual labor related to IT (rack installs, cable pulling, etc.) you have room to negotiate.

The average fast food worker is 35 years old, these aren't 'kids' jobs. Kids may be capable of doing them, but, more than likely, it's an adult making your burgers and fries. This is millions of people in the country, this isn't just a handful of people that couldn't quite figure out what they wanted to do with their lives.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Sort of like Upstate NY southern tier where I happen to live?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I will never be convinced a govt min wage, but certain corporations could institute a policy such as:

No diploma = $7
GED = $8
Diploma = $9
Associates = $10
Bachelor = $11

Rather than a pulse qualifying you for $15

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

so you ARE in favour of a minimum wage - it's just that you don't' like "da gubmint" saying you have to have one.....

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

If your not as good as him in his eyes your just a piece of crap.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So, question ... if raising the minimum wage (and the suggestion on the table as I understand it is to $10.10 not $15) ...

A MAJORITY of States have minimum wages higher than the Federal Wage, some within a few cents of the proposed new minimum.

Tell me, why haven't businesses in these States gone bankrupt?

Minimum Wages by State

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Tell me, why should the federal government determine the minimum wage rate for the states?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Retirement age is being pushed to 70 etc etc

I'll be lucky to retire at 70.
People are living longer (in spite of "chemtrails"), it makes sense to extend the retirement age.

That's easy to say if your just sitting at a desk in a cushy air conditioned office. But its kind of brutal to force a construction worker (for example) to work until there 70.

Besides, in a first world country people deserve an early retirement. Rather than being forced to work until they've got one foot in the grave. Its a quality of life issue.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Tell me, why should the federal government determine the minimum wage rate for the states?

Why not?

Why does the Federal Government have to do most things? Because States don't, won't or can't.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Because States don't, won't or can't.

You just pointed out that a majority of states have minimum wages higher than federal law requires.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join