It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star-Flags and Confirmation Bias

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

What you find Logical doesnt designate it as such however.....

Just as what I find logical doesnt mean it is either

The problem with determining somethings validity or importance is often subjective

I disagree. There are very specific rules about what is logical and what is not. That said, the premises that are 'assumed' as true are subjective hence the problem.

You can have a 'perfectly logical' agrument that is wrong or in error because the inital conditions are absurd.

Either Elizabeth owns a Honda or she owns a Saturn.
Elizabeth does not own a Honda.
Therefore, Elizabeth owns a Saturn.

In fact Elizabeth owns a BMW.

www.iep.utm.edu...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShortNoodle1
a reply to: introvert

There is also the matter of agents working in teams starring and flagging each other

ShortN

I've wondered about that possibility, but quickly dismissed it. I don't think there are "teams" of agents on this site. I just think there are many, especially when it involves politics, that toss out all logic and reason and must support those posts/posters that validate beliefs they already hold.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

" these sorts of systems are created with the intent of rewarding higher-quality threads and posts"

how the hell do you know what the intended purpose is? you're just regurgitating what you're told.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

In regards to the political forums. It is all about party affiliation. If you come across as "Republican", then the republicans star your posts. If you come across as a "Democrat", then the the democrats star your posts. If you come across like I do, which is no party affiliation, then most don't like you and you won't get many stars.

Personally, if I read a post that I agree with I usually star the post. But I also don't really care about stars, flags, friends, applauses, etc. I just wanna state my opinion. I have had the amount of stars I had used against me as an argument when I was new, but I think they make themselves look like fools using that argument. So I wouldn't worry to much.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I have had the amount of stars I had used against me as an argument when I was new, but I think they make themselves look like fools using that argument.

So have I, and one of the reasons I started this thread. The number of stars received are perceived by some an indication as to their opinion being right or validated.

Sadly, those posts receive many stars as well.

Too many people are not interested in honesty or truth. They desire and seek out confirmation bias.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I star "off-the-wall" posts sometimes just to see the following posts that say, "Who starred that post?"

Then I laugh.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
What amazes me is being here 4 years (many years lurking before) and people who sign up in 2015 and have thousands of posts already!! That's fast moving!! I haven't made a thousand yet... And I come here every day (not to post)

Anyway, yeah, stars and flags don't mean a great deal.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Hmm interesting thread.........I have found ideology is the driving factor for most people left or right. Idealism many times finds it's roots in fear.

I do think negative ratings would be a cool concept to try because it would level the playing field.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm going to be honest. The only thing that aggravates me about stars, are threads about stars. So insignificant that every couple of months we have a thread about them. ugh.

One member even made a thread about WHEN to give stars! Something like, "don't give a star just because someone posts on your thread", and such. Seriously? Someone is going to presume to tell someone else when to star? Yikes.

Star or don't star. Stars and flags are fun. If you need to rely on them for self-validation good luck with that. They are fun to me and that is it. I give them liberally, when I want for whatever reason. Ain't nobodies bizness but my own.

If someone should say to me their point is more valid because they got more stars, I probably would think the membership of ATS on that thread at that moment agreed with their comment more than mine. Hmph.

It is SO not a big deal.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If I star one of your posts will that make you feel better?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think I will give you another star for that.
Not that I'm confirming a star bias or anything...

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I'm going to be honest. The only thing that aggravates me about stars, are threads about stars. So insignificant that every couple of months we have a thread about them. ugh.

My thread was not really about stars, per se. It was the reason we give them and confirmation bias.

a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

I don't have the need to feel better, nor am I concerned with stars themselves. But I will give you one because I can.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Ditto.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Perhaps we read too much into this.

If you like what you see and agree, then give it a star. Simple.

I have been wrong, and I've had kneevjerk reactions. If someone agrees with me and and I get a star, so be it. I've read posts that entertain the idea of 'down votes' and that IMO is counterproductive-If ATS introduced that then people will start mashing on the down vote button the moment someone disagrees with them.

The S&F system is fine as at is.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

How come some members have millions of stars?

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: clodbuster

There was a glitch in the system..I believe it happened when ATS upgraded their server/s..or something like that.

edit on 17-6-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join