It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star-Flags and Confirmation Bias

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: introvert

You mean human does taste like chicken?
I disagree, based on my internet research.

Funny, my internet research says it does.

Lies! The Internet does not contradict itself!

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: Phage

You mean human does taste like chicken?
I disagree, based on my internet research.

Funny, my internet research says it does.

Lies! The Internet does not contradict itself!

I didn't say that. :/

ETA: But no, the internet NEVER contradicts itself.
edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: Boo

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: ATS glitches.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Question NOT, the Internet!
The Internet is Truth (with a capital "I" and a capital "T").

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

We don't always agree, but here? You just can't argue with facts!

If I've learned anything here about arguing on ATS, it's that all facts are apparently subjective.

Some seem to think so!

You'd think there was nothing concrete in the universe.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
There is one poster here whom all Ive ever seen them say is 'where is your proof'' or 'show me the facts' who has more stars than you can poke a stick at,I think your onto something op.

I forgot asking for proof or facts is a bad thing.
DON@T STAR THESE EVIL FOLK WHO WANT FACTS!!!.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
While many of us like to reward other members for well thought-out opinions based on logic and evidence, it appears that truth and logic are not popular in political forums, as the posts that seem to attract a large number of stars, flags or thumb-ups are rhetorical, hyperbolic and appeal to emotion. In a honest discussion, such posts would receive little attention because of it's very nature. But as we all very well know, it is those sorts of posts that people are attracted to.

When it comes to political discussions, people are not interested in logic, facts or truths. They are attracted to that which confirms their already held believes and ideologies, even if it's not factually based or created to incite partisan bickering.

That's a very good point...but it seems people debated mostly on the "wrong" idea that you feel that starz are bad.

I often post long complicated but witty posts that get not enough attention while some "one liners" get a lot of attention. But I think it's a bit normal...sure, I appreciate a well thought post and all but saying too much just makes your post less and less "starable" because less and less people will fully agree with you enough to star it anyway.
edit on 27-7-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

A couple things about the Stars. First of all, the ones at the top of the posts in each thread shouldn't be looked at as a metric to judge the Truth or Falsehood of a post since they aren't based on that. You should look at them for what they are which is how many people liked it. Usually because they agree with it, but not necessarily. So complaining that it is "confirmation bias" is like complaining that water is too wet because the stars represent exactly that, "confirmation bias".

There isn't a problem with that either as long as you look at it for what it is. It can sometimes be a good way to see which way people lean on an issue. It doesn't mean they are right and others are wrong. It just means that people tend toward certain trends of thought. Also, "confirmation bias" isn't wrong by default either exactly. Sometimes people might have a bias toward or against something that is in fact correct, valid and appropriate. Some ideas are complete failures and others winners. So if your bias is based of proven repeated results, strong data collection and consistent positive outcomes then a bias in support of it is probably the way to go.

Second, the total number of stars under a members information isn't always correct. Take mine for example. I have over 2 1/2 million stars!! Now, while I would love to claim intellectual or creative writing superiority over many other ATS members, it would be very dishonest (and obvious to most) that such claims are false. It also cannot be the result of my long membership here as there are other long time members who don't have even half the amount of stars I do. So what's up with that??? Is it a scam or propaganda trick by me to convince others I am the end all be all of important information??? Nope.

Truth is it was some kind of glitch that happened a few years back when they changed something on the site. Some old members like myself we "gifted" a whole butt load of stars from some coding mistake or something and it just happened. I don't know the full details of how or why nor do I have any control over it or fixing it. I personally never look at members total stars or my own so it didn't even occur to me until a member tried using it against me. I was attacked because I obviously had way too many and was being accused of rigging the system to push lies based on my "approval rating". I had to then explain that I had nothing to do with the stars and don't care about them at all personally and was not trying to influence any opinions with my total.

Hopefully nobody is being influenced by the totals either. If they are or have been influenced by the amount of stars I or others have then I say ditch them. Otherwise I would say just don't let them influence your thinking. Who cares, even if they are the correct totals. Just because a lot of people like the member or what he has to say doesn't mean you have to or that they are right. You don't have to go along to get along.

BTW, I thought having over 2 million stars would be obvious as a mistake somehow to most people. Clearly I don't get that many fans here with the things I post so how anyone might think I could actually get that many stars is beyond me. It works out to something like 400 stars per post. Ya, like that's believable. Obviously someone coded in some bad math or something. I'm sure the total is much closer to like 1 1/2 million!!

Anyway, just thought that might help clear some things up for some.
edit on 27-7-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think too may people on here star the member, not the individual posts.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

I think you might be right. Which is why I starred you 100 times but then gave 100 negative stars just because of who you are.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

At least the thought was there, Thanks!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

While many of us like to reward other members for well thought-out opinions based on logic and evidence, it appears that truth and logic are not popular in political forums, as the posts that seem to attract a large number of stars, flags or thumb-ups are rhetorical, hyperbolic and appeal to emotion. In a honest discussion, such posts would receive little attention because of it's very nature. But as we all very well know, it is those sorts of posts that people are attracted to.

When it comes to political discussions, people are not interested in logic, facts or truths. They are attracted to that which confirms their already held believes and ideologies, even if it's not factually based or created to incite partisan bickering.

That's a very good point...but it seems people debated mostly on the "wrong" idea that you feel that starz are bad.

I often post long complicated but witty posts that get not enough attention while some "one liners" get a lot of attention. But I think it's a bit normal...sure, I appreciate a well thought post and all but saying too much just makes your post less and less "starable" because less and less people will fully agree with you enough to star it anyway.

I agree with your first point, but you lost me at "witty".

edit on 27-7-2015 by Drest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

What a credible conspiracy theory: one in which the conspiracy runs the conspirators. A star and a flag to sharpen further the angle of bias in your favour.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Truth is it was some kind of glitch that happened a few years back

And is still active. I received my improbable galaxy less than a year ago, IIRC.

A star for your beautifully-explicated post, by the way.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Do you realize how many people have multiple accounts on this site and flag star their own posts? I don't put any weight on stars and flags. Topics that interest me I'll check out. End of story.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I could care less about stars and flags.
If you like my post so far please give it a star!

ATS is not immune to the problems of perception rampant in the world at large. Appeals to emotion are very effective and reason is often crowded out of the debate. I do believe however that your average ATS member is smarter and more discerning than your average person so the effects of confirmation bias show less here than they would elsewhere.

Now be sure to hit that like button so I can continue my work in trying to get the truth out.
(I have it locked up in a pet carrier atm)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

a reply to: jude11

I suppose I should have looked in the archives for those threads. My apologies for a topic "done to death".

But I can't help but notice that the overall premise has been looked over. It's not the fact that someone gets a good number of stars, it's why they were given.

And how confirmation bias plays in to that.

I agree.

We see it every day and perhaps I came off a bit rude in my reply. My apologies.

I had the same issue when I joined. Couldn't understand how some get more than others for the same topic. I noticed that better writers of the same topic will get more acknowledgement (S&F) than someone who just glosses over he topic in a mad rush to be first.

And then we have the old farts that have been around awhile. There will always be more recognition because there is a sense of knowing them for a length of time to the point of becoming friends of sorts. Can't really fault people for that tho, only natural.

But then again I could be completely wrong

Anyways, just wanted to soften my previous post after reading it again. Not how I wanted to come off at all.

Peacew

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

There is also the matter of agents working in teams starring and flagging each other

ShortN

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join