It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star-Flags and Confirmation Bias

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
For those that are unaware (as I was until a couple weeks ago), you can take away any flag that you've given. You can't take back stars though...

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: IAMTAT

Agreed. But do we also have a habit of giving stars and flags to posts out of confirmation bias, rather than the quality or truth contained within?

Absolutely.

Ive seen posts from, say, member A with very few stars, even those his/her post come before, say, well known member B, but whose post has far more stars even though they both say pretty much the same thing. And I've seen posts with little substance get far more stars than those with substance and contribute to the thread better.

This is due to, I think, that confirmation bias of which you speak *and* the fact that "friends" generally seem to give stars to "friends" versus other people simply because there's a certain ATS camaraderie.

That's why it's all a sham.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: introvert
A discussion based on a statement of the obvious?

Obvious to some, but not all. As I'm sure you know very well, many cannot see past the end of their noses.

Come on. Really, what's your agenda?
You want to do away with stars and flags? You nasty person you.

You've exposed my nefarious plot. With this one thread began my diabolical push to abolish internet stars and flags forever.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

This is how I feel, no point in wasting breathe.

"Someone else has already said it best so if you can't top it, steal from them and go out strong."
edit on 5310672015vAmerica/Chicago07bAmerica/Chicago by 5thNovember because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Commencing dog-pile as some of the ATS pack has arrived. In 3...2...1...

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

"When it comes to political discussions, people are not interested in logic, facts or truths."

I don't believe this is accurate with many of the posters on ATS. Sure, we all have politics that we identify with, and sometimes find it difficult when a poster makes a negative but factually based observation. Will these points of contention radically alter one's stance? Not likely, but if a topic brings new information to light, IMO it's intellectually dishonest not to recognize it and be able to discuss its validity.

There are posters that espouse political beliefs totally opposite to mine, but I respect the effort and thought process put into that post. If it makes me take a step back to ponder and learn something new, all the better. Those are the type I give s&f to, not just ones that I agree with.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I star and flag things I agree with, things I like and mostly things I like to see discussed whether I agree or not.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Will these points of contention radically alter one's stance? Not likely, but if a topic brings new information to light, IMO it's intellectually dishonest not to recognize it and be able to discuss its validity.

Sadly, it appears that many, when it comes to politics, are intellectually dishonest and do not approach issues like that. Wish more people did.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Sadly, when it comes to politics, there is not much room for reason.
The discussion of politics has little to do with critical thinking. Here, or in the real world.

edit on 7/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Will these points of contention radically alter one's stance? Not likely, but if a topic brings new information to light, IMO it's intellectually dishonest not to recognize it and be able to discuss its validity.

Sadly, it appears that many, when it comes to politics, are intellectually dishonest and do not approach issues like that. Wish more people did.

And you're exempt from this?

I see you're very willing to point out why you think people do this and while holding that finger out, perhaps should do some self examination

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I cant speak for everyone else...

But im well known to dole out both stars and flags to people that I might not agree with, simply because their statements were thought provoking....

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Well, a star and a flag for you, because it's a valid point! Personally, I star a post if I find it interesting in some way, or, in the case of politics, if I agree with the OP. For politics, which is where this is most relevant, I suspect that's what most people do. So, stars show simply who has had the most people agree with them, that happened to read the thread.

The real question, for which you are aiming, I believe, is, do the stars and flags make people believe those opinions are more valid, and whether or not this shapes political opinions. I suspect you are correct there as well. A lot of people want to be popular, and will thus follow the prevailing opinion, without ever giving any thought to whether or not it's correct. Some simply won't care, and others might assume it must be right for so many to believe it. We know that politicians who can "smooth talk" the people will get more votes. That's always been the case. A great orator is chosen over some who might actually be better leaders, in many cases.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I agree.

a reply to: OptimisticCynic

At no point have I excluded myself from anything. Have I done something or said something to personally insult you? You seem very insistent on attacking me personally without engaging in the general discussion.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Anyone who points at their flag count, and their star stack and uses them to reinforce a point, has probably missed the point entirely of being a member of a site like this.

I have to say that in all the years I have been here, I have never seen someone try to shout someone else down, using their star and flag count as their ammunition. I hope that I never do.

Stars and flags are there for one reason, and for one reason only in my view. They are given as recognition for good content contributions, and that is all. If others choose to misuse the system, that is something I can do nothing about, and cannot independently verify as having happened. What I can say is that I do not use the system in any other way.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimisticCynic

And you're exempt from this?

I see you're very willing to point out why you think people do this and while holding that finger out, perhaps should do some self examination

Easy there budyy its gonna be ok.....I agree on a lot of other forums youre on but, whew roll back a few and breathe lol

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I don't think I'm being naive in thinking that many posters will approach political discussions with an open mind. That is part of the reason I took the plunge here after lurking for so long. I was impressed with the thought processes on BOTH sides of political discussions, and even if I disagreed, the content and info provided of many posts educated me. If I wanted to read posts entrenched in ideology and regurgitating rhetoric, I would be on HuffPo, Fox or YaHoo. Have faith brother--it's that one post I take away when I leave that will repeatedly come to mind, the one that deserves stars(IMO).

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I am awesome. therefore I have lots of stars and flags. They have been bestowed upon me by lesser beings who worship at my very feet. As royalty, I expect nothing less.

Are we done now? This silliness about stars and flags. Slapping big words about the whys and how comes.

pffft.

*I scoff*

The person who doesn't take themselves too seriously gains the most respect from me, I suppose. Lord knows I'm a screwball. Maybe because I make so many errors might account for some of the accolades that I've received in the past.

Who knows.

I'm here because it's fun. When it stops being fun, I'll leave and that'll be the end to it.

Maidens will weep, men will rend their shirts, the skies will eternally darken, kingdoms will fall, when the fluffy bunnys' shadow no longer casts itself upon the epic shores of ATS.

*At least, in my humble opinion. There will now be seven people who will post immediately after me, disagreeing. That's okay. I pay them to do so.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

The real question, for which you are aiming, I believe, is, do the stars and flags make people believe those opinions are more valid, and whether or not this shapes political opinions. I suspect you are correct there as well. A lot of people want to be popular, and will thus follow the prevailing opinion, without ever giving any thought to whether or not it's correct. Some simply won't care, and others might assume it must be right for so many to believe it.

Hit the nail on the head.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

The real question, for which you are aiming, I believe, is, do the stars and flags make people believe those opinions are more valid, and whether or not this shapes political opinions. I suspect you are correct there as well. A lot of people want to be popular, and will thus follow the prevailing opinion, without ever giving any thought to whether or not it's correct. Some simply won't care, and others might assume it must be right for so many to believe it.

Hit the nail on the head.

Then that's really a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

If people see a popular opinion they begin to think that opinion is more correct, then that is similar to the manipulations (and affirmations) we see in the media.

It's sad when people can't think for themselves and stand for their beliefs.

That's NOT saying that people should be challenged to question their viewpoints, but that some people simply accept what's popular, because of the erroneous notion (by some) that "popular" is "correct." And that goes for anything.
edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join