It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star-Flags and Confirmation Bias

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Me thinks your overthinking it...

Stars and Flags are much like oral sex.

Often, you must first give before you begin to receive.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: IAMTAT

Agreed. But do we also have a habit of giving stars and flags to posts out of confirmation bias, rather than the quality or truth contained within?

I think you need to settle for both. Trouble is your example is built somewhat around politics, where choice is limited, and there is an ongoing bias anyway. A bit like, other 'imponderables' 9/11 and Chemtrails which have their own Triads and Mafia

Thing is those who are biased in some way, may well give someone a salute for a post, even if they ultimately disagree on the basis of a bias.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Actually, it might be a 'magically delicious' idea for ATS to add a 'Red X' option for posts...in addition to the 'Green Stars'.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Jealousy is a powerful emotion isn't it.

It must be "Progressively" important.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Every new member writes the exact same thread. I dd, you did, everyone did.

ATS is never going to validate your claims nor even acknowledge.

But congratulations...you have a few stars and flags for a topic that has been done to death.

Jude

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I notice that you don't happen to like those ideas and disagree with them. I also notice you haven't put up any arguments I haven't seen before to force me to reconsider my ideas. Maybe that frustrates you?

My goal is not to make you change your mind. My goal is to discuss and debate. What you believe is of no consequence to me.

I also wanted to get a feel from the members on how they use the star/flag system.
edit on 26-7-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Jealousy is a powerful emotion isn't it.

It must be "Progressively" important.

Hardly. Wanting to start a discussion on an small observation has nothing to do with jealousy.

But I see you're still working the propaganda talking points as always. I give you a star for good measure because I have faith that someday you'll actually have something of substance to say.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I suppose I should have looked in the archives for those threads. My apologies for a topic "done to death".

But I can't help but notice that the overall premise has been looked over. It's not the fact that someone gets a good number of stars, it's why they were given.

And how confirmation bias plays in to that.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I've noticed an ATS pack mentality when certain people post on a thread. Almost a dog-pile. The S & Fs begin to fly.

I am giving Stars when real effort has obviously been made, regardless of my agreement in their post. Not everyone shares same interests. Some like to watch paint dry, yanno?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

From the Stars he has it seems there were a few that thought his post was substance enough

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

It's not the fact that someone gets a good number of stars, it's why they were given.
Any number of reasons. I would include the day of the week, time of night, and number of alcoholic beverages consumed.

Obviously a significant factor. So what?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

I've noticed an ATS pack mentality when certain people post on a thread. Almost a dog-pile. The S & Fs begin to fly.

Good observation. I've noticed that as well. Forum gangs play a huge factor as well. Whether it's confirmation bias or the need to force an agenda is a question worth asking.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimisticCynic

From the Stars he has it seems there were a few that thought his post was substance enough

Indeed.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Isn't it obvious?

If he can pin down why he believes certain posters star and flag posts , then it gives him another platform to invalidate their viewpoints

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Ultralight

Good observation. I've noticed that as well. Forum gangs play a huge factor as well. Whether it's confirmation bias or the need to force an agenda is a question worth asking.

Many of which you've been either a part of or led the charge

link   
Most of the time I'm on ATS it's from my mobile, so unless I happen to switch it to the desktop view, I don't even see how many stars/flags somebody has (nor do I care). As for giving them, I flag threads when I find them interesting or important and want others to see them. Stars are basically meaningless; I'll give them for a number of reasons, and those reasons vary day to day lol.
edit on 7/26/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's not the fact that someone gets a good number of stars, it's why they were given.
Any number of reasons. I would include the day of the week, time of night, and number of alcoholic beverages consumed.

Obviously a significant factor. So what?

I was only attempting to start a discussion based on an observation.

That's "what".

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Perhaps logic is not the best term to use.

Let's say that honesty is not popular in politics.

Confirmation bias is popular and it seems that the rhetorical and hyperbolic are more popular than truth and facts. Truth and empirical facts are not subjective.

Honesty is not popular in politics.................made me chuckle......thanks.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimisticCynic

Well, aren't we rude today.

I been fairly neutral in this discussion without naming names or pointing fingers directly. I'd appreciate if you would refrain from personal attacks as well.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
A discussion based on a statement of the obvious?

Come on. Really, what's your agenda?
You want to do away with stars and flags? You nasty person you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join