It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama In Kenya: Talks about Gay Rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
President Obama is in Kenya and he gave a press conference with the President of Kenya.

Obama spoke of Gay Rights and apparently President Uhuru Kenyatta is not happy.

Obama must know that Kenya is not friendly towards gays.

In fact, according to the story, sodomy for one, is punishable with prison terms.

Hmmm.

U.S. President Barack Obama’s first official visit to his father’s home country of Kenya was mostly a friendly diplomatic affair, including a dinner with extended family and a pledge to launch a new direct flight connecting citizens in both nations. But Obama’s disagreement with Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta on the issue of gay rights came to the forefront at a joint press conference at the Statehouse in Nairobi Saturday.

The presidential discussion highlighted the delicate challenge the U.S. faces in maintaining strong relations with foreign states that impose imprisonment and other harsh punishments on gay citizens, which the American government has called an abuse of human rights.

Obama In Kenya: Joint Press Conference With Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta Highlights Shared Values But Disparate Views On Gay Rights

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
We can only hope they arrest him for some law that he broke….
You would think that Kenya would be the one place with Cpt. Idiot could not screw up; oh well.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Okay?

Is the point that he made a speech that is unfavorable to the locals there?

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I applaud Mr. Obama for speaking out for gay rights in Kenya. The countries of Africa have a serious and often a grave problem with hate crimes against homosexuality.

While this may not be popular, I believe this was the right move on his part.

edit on 25-7-2015 by jrod because: be

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
What was he supposed to do?

Enlighten us Xuenchen...

What should he have said about their barbaric practices as leader of the free world in his father's homeland...
"Carry on Kenya, baby steps is all you need, & in 4000 years you'll be side by side with us"

Give me a break.
He should be slapping sanctions on these sh#hole countries.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Okay?

Is the point that he made a speech that is unfavorable to the locals there?

I have no idea.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
I applaud Mr. Obama for speaking out for gay rights in Kenya. The countries of Africa have a serious and often a grave problem with hate crimes against homosexuality.

While this may not be popular, I believe this was the right move on his part.

You are correct however looking at Africa in a completely incorrect manner. The expanded version of your statement goes like this: The countries of Africa a serious and often a grave problem with hate crimes against EVERYONE of which gays are one small subset.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Enlighten us Xuenchen...

What should he have said about their barbaric practices as leader of the free world in his father's homeland...
"Carry on Kenya, baby steps is all you need, & in 4000 years you'll be side by side with us"

Give me a break.

What should I be "enlightening" you about?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Obama must know that Kenya is not friendly towards gays.

Than what was he doing there!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Enlighten us Xuenchen...

Give me a break.

What should I be "enlightening" you about?

Your point would be a good start.

Other than "hmmm", obviously.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Your point would be a good start.

Other than "hmmm", obviously.

My "points" may not mean anything.

But I'm trying to figure out why Obama would press an insult towards the President of Kenya while visiting.

More diplomatic courtesy would have shown more class.

Perhaps direct comments by both leaders would have been better after some agreements at least.

Something else must be in play here.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Thanks X, I knew you had it in you to add a little depth to your stance.

You may be right, courtesy goes a long way...

Time is not on Obama's side though, & he's gotta fix that legacy.
edit on 25-7-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Perhaps the State Department could initiate the Caitlyn Jenner awards for African despots who become more amenable to the gay cause.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Oh so he should have been more PC with his visit?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

But I'm trying to figure out why Obama would press an insult towards the President of Kenya while visiting.

Just how did he insult him?

Perhaps direct comments by both leaders would have been better after some agreements at least.

You have to bring the issue up before you can make an agreement on it.

Something else must be in play here.

The only thing at play here is your imagination.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
He was pressured ahead of time to keep his mouth shut on the gay issues. He finally stands up to somebody for a good reason, does the right thing and now his etiquette is a problem. If it wasn't this you'd be complaining about the first family taking a trip to Berry's birth country on our tax dime. I get it, he's awful at his job but he's got it for another year

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: EightTF

I get it, he's awful at his job but he's got it for another year

Thing is, Obama as a president isn't even all that awful. Mundane, would be a more appropriate term, since he was expected to (and claimed he would be) be revolutionary and he wasn't exactly that.... at least so far.

But I mean, its not like the economy got worse under Obama. Plus he has ended the federal ban on same sex marriage and has allowed states to adopt there own policy on cannabis regulation, which should resonate with Republican voters, since they're apparently all about less Federal control over individual rights.

Lets face it, the Bush administration would have never allowed these policies that promote individual freedom.

Good on Obama for supporting same sex marriage in Kenya, as far as I'm concerned. A politician has actually put his mouth where his rhetoric is for once.

Its actually a refreshing rare occurrence amoung politicians.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Like Iran for instance?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Why is this news?

Not an Obama fan.. But Why is this news?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Thing is, Obama as a president isn't even all that awful. Mundane, would be a more appropriate term, since he was expected to (and claimed he would be) be revolutionary and he wasn't exactly that.... at least so far.

Yes!

Mundane is definitely the foremost adjective I would look for in the qualities of the potential leader of my country. /sarcasm

Not that bad=nowhere near extraordinary.
edit on 26-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join