It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

android market popups

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Has anyone else started getting popups on their cell phones, the past week, every time I visit ATS, I randomly get redirected to a android market ad which then takes me to the Google play market to download some random game or app. This does not happen on any other site I go to on my cell phone, JUST ATS. Its not even when I first load the page, I will be halfway through writing a reply, and it redirects my page, it is starting to get very very frustrating.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

I never got it on ats.
Other sites yes but not here.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Yes. Yes I am and it's very frustrating. I been thinking I had some sort of virus and have done basically everything except a factory data reset. Whatever is going on with that needs to be fixed.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I've had my smart phone a a bit more than a year. I've sent maybe two emails and have read only about a dozen. I have been on the internet with it about three times.I didn't have any apps, zero.

A few days ago I downloaded two free apps, a compass and a flashlight. Now I get popups.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I was getting ready to make a rant about this, but first I was collecting some screen shots.
It's driving insane. I keep thinking I'm not logged in. Simply trying to visit the "New Topics" via book mark redirects me. I'd say it's happens close to 3 out of 5 times I click a link. For me it's not a pop up though. It redirects me in the same tab. Then I click the back button and it brings me to the page that had the link I clicked, not even to what I did click. It started, I think. 2 days ago.

I'm on an HTC One M9 using Mercury

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is why I never go to ATS via my android smartphone. I only use my Ipad (main source) or my PC, and do not have problems with this.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I've had my smart phone a a bit more than a year. I've sent maybe two emails and have read only about a dozen. I have been on the internet with it about three times.I didn't have any apps, zero.

A few days ago I downloaded two free apps, a compass and a flashlight. Now I get popups.

One of the flashlight apps is known to come with pop up ads. It's free, and when you download an app, it usually lists a bunch of things the app 'might' control or look at in your phone. That is to target ads that might interest you. Not that you are interested in any ads whatsoever, but that is the point. I have a flashlight app that has no ads. I will look to see what company it is.

edit: well I did, I think I didn;t redownload it after a factory reset. Best bet, I read a LOT of the comments before downloading an app.
edit on 25-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Yes, other sites, but not here. However, I don't look at ats on my phone.

edit on 25-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My phone is bare, as in no apps on it, have not installed any apps recently or changed anything on my phone, and it only happens on this website, redirects and I have to hit the back button to go back to the page I was on like mdpvc said. I scanned my phone with antivirus malwarebytes and Nothin, and came to conclusion it is this site.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
90% of the time I'm on ATS, it's from my phone, and I've never had those ads. I see them all the time on other sites, but not here.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
One of the flashlight apps is known to come with pop up ads. It's free, and when you download an app, it usually lists a bunch of things the app 'might' control or look at in your phone.
I read about that flashlight app. I try to be very careful about what to install on either my PC or my phone. Some of those PUPs (potentially Unwanted Programs) like the ones that serve ads don't uninstall too well, and then as you said you may be looking at a factory reset to get rid of some of that stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My phone and tablet are full of apps of all sorts - paid for and free crap. I even use Tapjoy in one of my games to earn points to buy more crap. The way some make it sound, if any phone or tablet should be playing up with unwanted popups, notifications, and adverts, it would be mine. I also run Bluestacks Android Emulator with much of the same apps on my PC.

So I tried multiple tests on my phone and tablet but could not recreate the pop-up problem.

I tried both my browsers and nothing unusual occurred. Do you use the standard browser that comes with your phone?

To browse the net on my Androids I usually use "UC Browser Mini" and turn off "Speed Mode". It's a tiny download, but quite a powerful browser with some nice features. I've tried many different browsers and I highly recommend UC mini.

However I also accessed the site with the standard browser that came with my Androids and there was no problems browsing the ATS site or attempting to make posts. I also checked the browser settings. In the "advanced" menu there is a selection to "Block pop-ups" ... maybe that is turned off on your phone browser?

Also if people are worried about junk left on their Androids after uninstalling, try a cleaner like "All-In-One toolbox" or similar to give your Android a scan and RAM boost. Also don't be afraid to have a browse of your directories and delete files/folders that you know have been uninstalled or come from an advert. If an app needs it again, it will recreate the required directories/files. You really shouldn't need to factory reset to wipe these things from your phone. A small number of apps may cause issues that might lead to a reset - but such issues would be quite obvious from the moment of installation, like a restart loop or such.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I just got a new smartphone two days ago. I won't be adding any apps

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

Well just be sure to check out your Google Account Settings - location, Google Drive Storage and app sync, adverts and search activity etc etc. Turn off anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. The apps your phone came installed with may have more access to your info than you like, and on top of that everything on your phone could be uploaded to the Google cloud storage if you don't turn it off (it's On by default) - including photos, personal files, and passwords. Also In the Security settings for your phone there is a selection to prevent installation of apps from unknown sources and to notify before installation of apps that may cause harm.
edit on 25/7/2015 by MsVen because: additional info

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm just thankful that ATS trimmed back on the severity and intrusiveness of the Pop-Ups and AutoVideos on the desktop version of this site. I actually stopped visiting ATS for a few weeks because it was so aggravating. There's nothing more annoying (to me) than having a pop-up occur, or an advertising videos start auto-playing, if your mouse curser just happens to pass over a hyperlink somewhere on the page! Thankfully, ATS has eliminated most of them this Summer.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10
Has anyone else started getting popups on their cell phones

We're using mobile ad sources that don't (at least aren't supposed to) do pops and/or redirects on mobile.

That being said, I've received a couple on my iPhone, one on my iPad, and a few on an Android phone. They've always traced back to the mobile provider, Verizon, who has started injecting ads on mobile browsing.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Your provider is pushing spam popups to your phone?! You pay for that service, yes? How bloody rude!

Do mobile data charges apply? What about excess data charges when it pushes ads beyond your data limit?

I'd be calling them to complain and demanding they turn off that feature on their end.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm on a Droid.. Verizon is my cable provider. And the redirects keep coming. It's overloading my tablet with data causing me to have to clean the device every 5 to ten minutes. 3:03 AM here. It's still happening. Causing my tablet to boot from ATS and crash. Thanks

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Like a few others, I don’t use my phone to visit ATS. There is an ad I get on my pc quite often, though, that annoys the hell out of me. I think it only reveals itself when I’m not logged on. My routine is to logon only when I think I’ll be making posts, and then to logout when I’m done. If I’m just cruising the site to see what’s new, I normally don’t logon.

Anyway, quite frequently after I first arrive at ATS, and I’m not logged on, when I select a thread to read it will load the first page of the thread, and then overlay half the page with a Jeep Cherokee ad that provides no option to clear it off the screen. So, I have to manually backout of the page/thread and then reselect the thread from the menu. On the 2nd attempt it works great - no Jeep Cherokee ad.

I normally ignore popup ads as best I can, but there are certain ads that are absolutely rude and intrusive. I hate the ads that 1) don’t provide an option to clear it off the screen, and b) automatically start running a Flash presentation with the audio cranked up (these ads will sometimes allow you to stop them, and other times not). I guess most companies using the forced/intrusive method of advertising to sell their goods must figure that even though it will turn a lot of folks off to their message, the net gain realized from it justifies the means. I don’t know. All I do know is it irritates me.

So, that’s it for me. No biggy. I actually find ads on this site are far less painful than on many other sites I visit.

Peace...

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

The data doesn't bother me, as I am still grandfathered in with the true unlimited data from Verizon
worth a pretty penny on eBay. This just started happening a couple days ago, nothing has been installed, all of my location is turned off, at all times, no new apps, have used the phone browser since I got the phone, never had any popups till recently and only on ATS, yes my block popup is selected. Its not really a popup, it redirects the page I'm on and takes me to the market to a random app to download. I'm a computer geek, through and through, and I keep my phone very clean. Just has me stumped because it only happens on ATS, and I visit a lot of other websites on my phone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join