It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Jeep Hack, Chrysler Recalls 1.4M Vehicles for Bug Fix

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

www.wired.com...

Welcome to the age of hackable automobiles, when two security researchers can cause a 1.4 million product recall.

On Friday, Chrysler announced that it’s issuing a formal recall for 1.4 million vehicles that may be affected by a hackable software vulnerability in Chrysler’s Uconnect dashboard computers. The vulnerability was first demonstrated to WIRED by security researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek earlier this month when they wirelessly hacked a Jeep I was driving, taking over dashboard functions, steering, transmission and brakes. The recall doesn’t actually require Chrysler owners to bring their cars, trucks and SUVs to a dealer.

This is insanity.

Who the hell wants a car wirelessly connected to the internet? I think I will have to buy old vehicles from now on.
edit on 25-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Does this lend credence to the reporter in the Mercedes , that was doing over 100/MPH at 2 am. When it struck a tree in L.A. thus the engine flying out of the car?

I'll try the article of the Whistle Blower for Betgdahl.
That was killed in the high speed car wreck

EDIT: I'm having lot's of trouble linking Micheal Hastings car accident. I'll try again.
edit on 25-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: linking blocked

edit on 25-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
As vehicles become more connected wirelessly to the outside world they will require constant security updates just as Windows, Linux and Apple have demonstrated. Hacking will become common. Metadata containing location, destination, route and driving behavior will be fully scrutinized by every agency. And when driverless cars become mandated we will literally be prisoners of the state in our own vehicles at the press of a button. Our lives will literally be in the hands of the hackers. Security developments will continue to be farmed out to China and the risk will be passed on to us.

edit on 25-7-2015 by CraftBuilder because: of typos.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
OK he was not investigating Snowden.It was Bergdahl.
Let's see if it works..

news.vice.com...
edit on 25-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Why they didn't keep the main functions of the vehicles separate from things like maps, gas, and hands free phone is beyond me.
There's no reason for steering, speed, brakes, wipers, climate, etc to be online.

Apparently there's a USB that the dealerships are supposed to send us to patch this, but I haven't gotten my notice yet. I'll have to call them on Monday.
Dammit.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Don't DRIVE!!!!!!! Ford also has the hands free parking as well. So that involves brakes, steering and gas peddle. Wonder how long it takes to be hacked too?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Don't DRIVE!!!!!!! Ford also has the hands free parking as well. So that involves brakes, steering and gas peddle. Wonder how long it takes to be hacked too?

If they are not stupid enough to connect it then never. It should be on a closed system.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Just think how many cars have OnStar people. Many of the cars with OnStar, the company has the ability to track the vehicle, shut off the engine, unlock the doors, etc. to stop a car jacking.

Imagine if that is hackable...it affect a whole lot more than Jeeps and Chrysler. Hackers will have countless possible weapons in this new age.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
It is scary to think someone could actually hack a car. I'm sure now it's been done other hackers will attempt it as well. Why does everything have to be online these days? Cars especially.
I can't even go to the shop for some bread without having the fear of being hacked. Sad world we live in.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It's scary to think my dad just got a car with a Uconnect in it and this issue is appearing. I should call him about it but I think he's on a business trip so probably won't be back till later. I don't see why we need all of that connected. I think the only thing we do need is perhaps bluetooth for phones and that just for music and calling.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Welcome to the age of hackable automobiles, when two security researchers can cause a 1.4 million product recall.

On Friday, Chrysler announced that it’s issuing a formal recall for 1.4 million vehicles that may be affected by a hackable software vulnerability in Chrysler’s Uconnect dashboard computers. The vulnerability was first demonstrated to WIRED by security researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek earlier this month when they wirelessly hacked a Jeep I was driving, taking over dashboard functions, steering, transmission and brakes. The recall doesn’t actually require Chrysler owners to bring their cars, trucks and SUVs to a dealer.

Why on earth is the u-connect system linked into CANBUS thereby rendering all these systems vulnerable?

This is pure insanity on the designer's part. ALL driving controls should be stand alone systems that are kept away from the internet.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I can understand why the infotainment systems were internet connected. To fetch missing media, DRM licences, update the SatNav mapping data, internet radio, etc.

However there is no reason Engine Management, brakes, steering, cruise control etc were connected to the infotainment system. Yes you could vaguely argue they need to have some connection to be able to update the displays with information such as speed, fuel consumption, etc, but that only needs WRITE ONLY, in that it simply transmits data to the infotainment system. It should NOT accept data from the infotainment system, or any other system with a network connection.

The only place critical systems should accept data input from, are isolated systems, and the driver.

This was quite simply, a system design failure, and they are probably looking at very large lawsuits over it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Like I have been saying for a long time now, I don't think the convenience of the newer computer driven cars are worth it. I mean it's really cool to be able to hook the car up to a laptop and tune things right quick, but it was never really as satisfying as real working on a car, or as reliable in my experience. When possible I stick to my motorcycle, don't get much simpler. But then, I have been a bit of a gearhead most my life.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
What really shocks me about this news is that Chrysler is still around and operating. I've been out of the country for over a decade but always regarded that brand/company as a failure. I guess they got government bail ins?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

eh making everything connected makes sense if an agency wanted to be able to shut down cars if the need be,it would make police chases obsolete as the cops would just turn it off (if hackers can do it the gov can) and immobilize the car

car dealers could just turn the car off if you missed a payment no more repo men/women

parents could take out the ability for their kids to take their cars etc (my exs parents back in hs days would take out her spark plug to try to keep her going places) so i see an app for that some day.

i don't see this going well and with all the distractions to driving we already have we dont need to give cars full on wifi to distract drivers more

so sadly i see a big market for this with more negitives then positives

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Chrysler is in trouble plenty what with all the other recalls ongoing at this time.

bigstory.ap.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Clutch in, pop e-brake, do a cool slide. Love my car. So disappointed they manufacturer started offering an automatic this year (because I may have held out for one and because it's nice knowing so many people can't ask to borrow/drive).

I actually hope we have more stories like this so the manufacturers knock off the nonsense. It's just laziness. You know someone was made aware, but it was rubber stamped because "what are the chances?".

I'm all for technology, cars are so much better now. Just keep in mind that sometimes technology can be a hazard.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurkerwhy not just yank out blue tooth antenna and wifi antenna no tadio bcross communcation devices no way to hack. never had this problem with old radio fm and am

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

a failure why i have driven a charger , a challenger and a 300 in the past 10 years and i truly loved driving them

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
It's crazy. TV's, refrigerators, even beds connected to the Internet. I can't stand any of it. The tech crowd will call me a Ludfite but screw them. There's no need for any of this. I can think of many reasons why corporations are doing this.

Anyhow, speaking of Luddites, here in the Bay Area google "glass" was firmly rejected by the community. The privacy invasion was rejected. The glasses can record, so anytime someone looks your way they can record you. It's a futile struggle because privacy is just gone but Inthink we should have a choice whether or not to have cameras and mics all over our homes.

All this stuff is a safety and privacy issue. Many computers in cars monitor driving habits, location and as you see here can disable or interfere with driving itself. We're seeing a basic technological infrastructure being put in place that can track everything from sleeping patters to what you buy in stores.

Look, this "smart mattress" even has a microphone!

thenextweb.com...

Ya, a microphone in your mattress connected to the Internet. You know...it's just too much. No thank you.

The "smart fridge" can track everything you buy, not sure if it has a camera/mic but the issue here is the information is sold to corporations for marketing purposes. No thank you....ah, just checked. Yes the "smart refrigerators" do have cameras/mics.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I might actually start flirting with Neo-Luddite views if all these things are our only option when buying cars, refrigerators, beds etc. Right now "regular" stuff hasn't been phased out but that time may come.

edit on 29-7-2015 by JeanPaul because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join