It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this whole Hulk Hogan thing...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I think many seem to forget what Hulk Hogan's persona is when it comes to the wrestling world in general...

He geared it towards the kids in general and has been a big influence on them, but you can't have such an influential icon such as this say what he said.

No matter whether it was secretly recorded or he just came out and said it...you just can't do that when you are working for a large corporation such as the WWE.

Also how does the black talent of the WWE look to hogan as someone who could help them when they know how he really feels by saying what he said?

Although it wasn't aimed towards them...who is to say it can't be in the future?

That does have to be a thought in the back of their minds.
edit on 26-7-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
I think many seem to forget what Hulk Hogan's persona is when it comes to the wrestling world in general...

He geared it towards the kids in general and has been a big influence on them, but you can't have such an influential icon such as this say what he said.

I'm sure the kids were edified by ol' Hulk banging the crap out of Heather Clem on the net, too.

THAT didn't seem to give WWE any hiccups.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

THAT didn't seem to give WWE any hiccups.

At that time I don't think he was part of the WWE, so that didn't effect them as a whole.

Had he have been I imagine it would have made some waves.

Also sex sells...racist comments don't.

And the WWE is all about selling.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I'm sure the kids were edified by ol' Hulk banging the crap out of Heather Clem on the net, too.

Probably easier to explain that than it is to explain why he said what he said..

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

He actually says he is a racist.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There was even a video of the WWE owner Vince using the n word on live TV to Cena while Booker T was right there... look it up.. it happened, but nothing happened... will he step down from the company?
edit on 26-7-2015 by Airborne18th because: Incorrect info

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Airborne18th
Went and found it, that would much different then what Hulk was saying.

That was clearly a skit for a build up a match.

edit on thSun, 26 Jul 2015 12:50:57 -0500America/Chicago720155780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Was when Cena had the WWE championship belt that spun around. Booker T even asked if he just said that. ... it is on YouTube. .you can find it. I was shocked myself that they did that.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Ya I found it.

You are aware that the WWE is scripted right?

And that those cut scenes are all part of the show?

That isn't him necessarily expressing his true feelings, but just following a script.

My guess is that booker and cena were about to fight for said belt and that was meant to heat up the match.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yeah, I get that, but was it right? Does the WWE come back and apologize for it? Does Vince get roasted? I think with Hogan being in wrestling for such a long time, wrestlers know who he is and what kind of person he is with being on the road with him for so many years. I think it is hypocritical when WWE can write a skit using the n word and turn around and fire a guy who made a stupid statement in a private convo. I don't agree with Hogan at all, but would the WWE be just as bad for doing a skit on live TV using the n word? Would that not be damaging to their brand?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think a lot of you need to brush up on the details of this story. This was a recording of Hogan sleeping with his best friend's wife caught on tape. This is basically a husband catching his cheating wife and best friend in the act. So right off the top, he loses the moral high ground about it being a "private moment", IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It's not a matter of right and wrong, as far as that Vince skit was concerned. You're watching a scripted performance, just the same as if you're watching House of Cards or True Detective. If Kevin Spacey said the n-ord on House of Cards, you wouldn't ask whether it was right or not, would you? We don't hold movie or TV actors accountable when their characters do something heinous on screen, it's the same thing. Anything you see on WWE TV are actors playing a role. So it's foolish to try and hold them to a standard as if their characters are real people saying they're own personal feelings. I mean, Vince's character Mr. McMahon is written to be a scoundrel. Saying the n word is just a long list of the character's trangressions.

I think you can have a conversation about why WWE went to the racist stereotype well so frequently. That would be a fair conversation to have.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

you are right. this is pathetic. and shameful. a nation full of peeping toms standing slack jawed and drooling while reveling in voyeuristic pursuits.

I dont care what he said. Or who he was having sex with when he said it. Honestly, i didn't even want that visual image.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

Booker T and Mark Henry are both former World Heavyweight Champions. Also, there is this dude named Dwayne Johnson...he used to go by The Rock...perhaps you've heard of him?

I agree that WWE was in a tough spot with this Hogan thing. I think they took it too far, but saying that WWE has never had a black World Heavyweight Champion is just objectively wrong.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gdt26
a reply to: Asktheanimals

He actually says he is a racist.

We live in a ridiculous era in which a Caucasian male denying they are a racist (if accused) = being a racist. The same Caucasian male admitting they are "a little bit racist" (if accused = being a racist.

Seems like being accused of being a racist is the only real criteria for being one. So much for logical sanity... hope silly emotional pandering is fun because that's what we're in now.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jordan77

Scripted or not, it is a double standard. How does that script make WWE any better? You can say acting all you w see nt, but if you put that out there, you are condoning that behavior. If you have people writing scripts like this then wouldn't a wrestler think it's ok to say off handed comments? How do you justify punishing a wrestler when the language is bring put into scripts? When you use the n word in a script, you are condoning the language amongst your employees because they will see it as a norm.. double standards...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeviantMortal
I agree, this was his private info being leaked. I myself in the privacy of my own home have said things I not only would not repeat in public but regret saying in the first place.
It's not about a "leaked" video. It's about destroying EVERYTHING American and family.

Confederate flag: GONE
Hulk Hogan: GONE
Bill Cosby: GONE
Bruce Jenner: GONE
Freedom and Liberty: GONE
The Constitution and Bill of Rights: Almost Gone

Next, it will be baseball and apple pie.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

Don't forget about Christmas. We'll have to settle for snowmen and snowflakes instead of Santa and Sweet Baby Jesus.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I don't think you fundamentally get the difference between a script and reality. The script is telling a story, if that's part of the story, so be it. You can do all kinds of heinous things in a script that you can't do in real life. It's not a double standard, it's common sense that one is art (relatively speaking) and one isn't.

Why would a wrestler think what's written in a script is ok to say off camera? When an actor plays a rapist, he doesn't then go out raping women under the notion that if the writers put it in the script, it must be acceptable. That's nonsense. These are grown adults, they don't take their life cues and morals from the writing staff.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join