It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Turkey strikes IS in Syria, and Strikes Kurdish militants in north Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Istanbul (AFP) - The Turkish military on Saturday carried out a second wave of strikes against targets controlled by Islamic State (IS) jihadists in Syria and embarked on a new air campaign to bombard camps of Kurdish militants in northern Iraq.

Breaking: Turkey strikes IS in Syria, Kurdish militants in north Iraq

I don't know why this isn't getting more news on ATS.

There is also word of Turkey creating a 25 mile No Fly Zone into Syria across the border.

What's more alarming is the fact that Turkey is bombing Kurds in Iraq and as far as I can remember there are American "freedom fighters" and civilian/group aid in these camps with the PKK (who were fighting ISIS and helping civilians) who are getting bombed just as harshly as ISIS by Turkey

There are also Iranian forces in areas near the border.

This could get very ugly and I think it should be watched closely.

edit on 25-7-2015 by IamInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IamInfinity

Awhile back I was trying to find some info on Kurds because I didn't think all of them were totally against ISIS...I never actually found much but im curious on this as well. I know most of the Kurds in the north were being trained and organized by US spec ops during the war and id imagine there are still some out there.

As for the "freedom fighters"...the americans....I have actually tried contacting one via skype who is part of the Lions of (i cant remember the name) and they have never return contacted me. That was several months ago. If you go to their page they post their casualties and update it quite a bit which I dont have the link but im sure you can poke around and find it. Which means if any of them are dying form Turkish attacks Im sure they would be posting it.
edit on 25-7-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It's all part of the plan.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Like I said, Turkey is a HUGE player in the middle East. This should be getting more coverage.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Clicked this thread thinking I must be misreading the title.

I'll be interested to see if anyone can make sense of this. I read about the strikes on ISIS, but this is a strange development.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Um... What?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I'll be interested to see if anyone can make sense of this. I read about the strikes on ISIS, but this is a strange development.

Considering how Turkey has tried to obliterate the Kurds themselves over the decades, going right back to their genocide of Kurds after the end of WW1 and the fall of the Ottoman empire.... it's not too surprising.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

Sort of messes up those State Department promises to the Kurds doesn't it

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I just assume most nations and groups in that area have had poor relationships with everybody around them at some tiime. With the state of affairs right now it seems an odd strategic decision to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I think the was Turkey sees it, is the PKK (outlawed group in Turkey) HQ is in Nth Iraq and they have carried out many attacks within Turkey for decades.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

So they essentially may have decided in for a penny in for a pound we're taking out the trash since we're launching the birds anyway.

I can see it from that perspective. Do you think Turkey is strong enough to not worry about it or would they be better off focusing on the Syrian border right now?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Not really....an IS agent, a 20 yo Turk carried out a terrorist bombing attack on Turkish territory, killing many

the Kurd militants killed 2 Turk policemen as they slept at home...

the airstrikes and artillery strikes is in retaliation against both murderous orgs. Turkey is telling the IS & the PKK to kill each other but leave Turkey out of the crosshairs or S**** is gonna drop on you big time
the Turks have sure been patient and lenient with ISIS and the Kurds (especially when rescuing the Yazidi sect which span in a small region on a mountain range which includes a small portion of Syria/Iraq & Turkey

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

well actually it's all about oil and gas reserves. Kurdistan is the last untapped oil reserve and a way for a gas pipeline to reach Turkey.

Read more here for the chunky info on it
www.diplomaticourier.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Excellent article and it talked about Crimea too. Sometimes it really is all about fossil fuel. What an absolute mess.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Please use existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed

new topics

top topics

join