It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT! Recent Satellite Photos Needed of RAF Machrihanish / Scotland's AREA 51

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iksmodnad
maybe its all underground.

iksmodnad,

Like stealth_chaser I am not sure what you mean. If you mean, could Special Forces use underground facilities to hide or store things, then that is possible. Here is the list I have obtained of underground complex facilities at RAF Machrihanish:

CONFIRMED (i.e. You can actually see them from outside the base or there is photo evidence):

Nuclear Weapon Storage complex (Northwest corner of the base adjacent to the beach, surrounded by watch towers and barb wire) - was a big focal point of the CND in the 1980s protesting against Ronald Regans Nuclear bombs. When the bombs were removed in the early 1990s, CATBW activists (i.e. UK Campaign Against Trade in Bio Weapons) took over. They said VX gas was being stored for a time there. Nobody has confirmed this as far as I know (CATBW I guess was not around long and apparently no longer exists). Recently the local paper has suggested the site could be used for a RN submarine/ship nuclear waste dump. Heard a rumor that it was used this last year to store a consignment of liquid nitrogen for cooling. Not really underground, set in a group of manmade hills. Current use unknown (probably for target practice while troops are on training exercises).

Deep Cold War bunkers (Next to the North Gate and entrance can be seen from the public road) - Current use reported as a British Telecom relay station. Unable to confirm this use as no reported BT trucks have been seen there! However large and strange looking BT Property market radio tower is next to the complex.

Underground Aircraft fuel tanks (South of the Northeast section of the runway and South of the Northwest section of the runway) - Not sure of capacity / size.

UNCONFIRMED (No evidence to support they exist, just rumour):

Various Interconnecting Airraid Shelters (Northwest part of the base under the sleeping quarters and comand complex - not sure if they extend to the Control Tower) - perhaps this is what stealth_chaser means about the 14 miles of underground corriders. I have no pictures of this and only what I have seen in another chat line by a former soldier based on the base in the early 1990s.

Fuel Pipeline and Supply Tunnel (connecting the NATO fuel base in Campbeltown harbour to the Southeast part of the base - approximately 20 kms long!!!) - Again, I have no pictures, but I wish I did. Most of the reports from this come from angry farmers who have complained of illness in the area from what they suspect is an underground tunnel connecting the base with Campbeltown harbour. I would really love to get evidence of this because if it is true, then the MOD or Yanks could move anything they really wanted undetected into the base underground from their ships.

Navy Seal Building Underground Command Complex (under the brown building with a High Tower, just East of Gaydon Hanger. Might even connect the two structures to assist in covert activities).

Any photos that could further support the above would be appreciated. Also I am still searching for Sat photos of the base.

Thanks again for your time. AW

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealth_chaser
Can you e-mail me off list at [email protected]
thanks
kevin

Just sent you a U2U. Thanks again for your interest. AW

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
After reading the post again, I need to put this point accross. At no location on my site does it mention anything about daily military flights into Machrihanish, or about thousands of troops operating there.

If there were daily military flights into Machrihanish, myself and many other military radio monitors would hear them. Machrihanish is well within radio intercept range from my location, and I can assure you there have been no daily flights.

There was a Squadron of RAF Harriers based at Machrihanish in June/July this year, as part of the Joint Maritime course however. This has been the only acknowledged military exercise at the base during the last year.

It would be virtually impossilbe for american or brittish forces to take over Machrihanish without someone hearing it on the radios, unless they come in by road which is a different matter. All military aircraft must operate under Scottish Military control, and thus would be heard entering Machrihanish.

There were Americans on the base in early august, this however I dont know anything about, and could well have been a covert operation. It also ties in with the above mentioned "ufo" sightings in the area, which I received, as I am a subscriber to the Cambeltown Courier.

As you say, something has went on their , in early August. Most likely testing some form of UAV. It would explain the unacknowledged American personnel on the base, the things being hidden by cammo nets, and also the "ufo" sightings in the area.

Regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk
Eyes and ears on the west coast of Scotland

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It does not matter if the flights are daily or weekly or monthly. The thing is there have been some flights and something has gone on there. The important thing is to find out what is going on. Lets chat in the U2U. AW

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The last confirmed USAF flight into RAF Machrihanish was back in November 2002, when I intercepted US Special Forces entering the base. The only thigns since then have been the Sqn of RAF Harriers deployed for an exercise, and also a 3ship USAF Hercules formation doing simulated drops on the airfield, not actually landing.

Regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk
eyes and ears on the west coast of scotland

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The last confirmed USAF flight into RAF Machrihanish was back in November 2002, when I intercepted US Special Forces entering the base. The only thigns since then have been the Sqn of RAF Harriers deployed for an exercise, and also a 3ship USAF Hercules formation doing simulated drops on the airfield, not actually landing.

Regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk
eyes and ears on the west coast of scotland

Thanks for this Kevin. How do you do the listening? What equipment do you have and how do you "listen". I think it would be interesting to all at ATS. Thanks AW

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
To listen, I use commercially available Radio Scanners which can tune to Airband 118mhz-137mhz, and also the Military UHF band 210mhz-390mhz.
Alot of information on this topic can be found on my website, and the links section also provide some good information resources.

Newly added to the Black Triangle Aviation site is the ability to listen live to Audio that is being intercepted from The Bunker Intercepts Station. Information on this can be found at:
www.black-triangle.co.uk/ts.htm
After following the small tutorial, you can listen live to the aircraft radio intercepts that I am listening to, which includes Machrihanish!

If anyone has any questions about it, id be happy to help. Drop us an e-mail at [email protected].

Cheers
Kevin
www.black-triangle.co.uk
Black Triangle Aviation - Eyes and ears on the west coast of Scotland

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hi Guys and a very happy new year to one and all.

Although I am a 'newbie' to this site, I read with interest about the apparent 'going-ons' at Macrihanish.

I was stationed at Macrihanish for 9 months in the '70's. I worked for JARIC - out of Brampton. I was sent up to Macrihanish for a NATO exercise called 'Northern Merger - Northern Gathering'. It simulated part of the US 'Reforger' tasking to reinforce europe during a Soviet invasion, using Macrihanish as a forward Op base and Listening Post.

At this time - both we and the US had nuclear storage facilities on site, together with 'unspecified' SF forces - again mainly US and Brit, but also a few French and Canadian paras. (For the ex only? Not sure)

We were billetted above ground but our facilities were underground in so called 'bomb-proof' rooms or buildings. To the best of my recollection, there were no UFO related materiel or any research facilities of that nature there at that time and I had a top security clearance and was allowed in to most of the facilities.

Sometime in the 80's, RAF Macrihanish was closed because Blackbirds no longer flew from there and there was no need to keep the base open. At the time, the runway was 1.5 miles long. Sometime in the early 90's, the then government spent �11.5M extending the runway to 3 miles. (WHY?) (Why did a dissused airfield need another 1.5 miles added to it's runway?)

Those in the know keep silent - and rightly so! Those who think they know -and I guess I am one of them - keep speculating until something finally gives.

However, I do know something that sounds a little odd. Cast your minds back if you will, to that fateful day when a Chinook was flying across the Mull, when it suddenly veered into the mountain. Now MOD (usually very slow at proportioning blame) suddenly says it WAS pilot error. Closer investigation said that the Chinook was blown off course? What would cause that, I wonder? Could the answer be the mythical 'Aurora'?

Or, is Macrihanish being used as an emergency runway for the space shuttle. I have certainly heard that and that excuse/story would give some credibility to the reason why SEAL/UDT personnel were on the site at specific times.

As to some claims that 'there are no thousands of troops' or that 'there are no military aircraft' at Macrihanish well, I can tell you there are! Not thousands but a 'good few' - SAS, US SEAL, UDT's and a Coy of Rangers or Marine Recon.

Allegedly the Rangers/Recon patrol the inner perimeter whilst the SAS, SEAL and UDT's are off doing something nasty in Comanche or choppers. Am awaiting confirmation from 'somebody on the inside'.

Incidently, not all radio traffic is audible. (My own unit used super encrypted, super-speed burst transmitting radios) We didn't need voice, didn't need morse, didn't need super codes. Just typed in 'plain' and transmitted. The radio sent out on one frequency at our end, jumped through several other frequencies then 'downloaded' to another frequency. Thus we 'talked' to whoever we wanted to and not a single traceable radio voice 'transmission'.

So, is it possible to speak to people using a radio, without radio hams or ambulance chasers listening in? Yes it is. I know, I've done it!

If I learn any more, I'll certainly put it here.

Of course what you could do, is take a week to crawl to an excellent vantage point, 'dig in' a long term OP (with thermal shielding) and wait to see what happens.

Oh! Don't forget to take a bloody good camera with at least a 350mil lens.
(For all those shots of Aurora!)

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
if anyone is still interested in Sat pictures, this is the best I could get based on the coords.

img114.exs.cx...

[edit on 3-1-2005 by tyralen]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Fritz,
found your post very interesting, and interested in hearing more form you as you were based at Machrihanish for some time.

With regards to the space shuttle, the runway is still marked on many aviation charts and known within the military as an Emergancy overflow site, and in theory, the shuttle could well land there. However, RAF Fairford is also marked as an emergancy landing site for the shuttle. Before they were grounded due to the columbian crash, mission control and launch radio would be broadcast to the crash/rescue crews at RAF Fairford. This was intercepted by spotters who were at the base by chance, during a space shuttle launch. If Machrihanish was to be used for this, why bother with RAF Fairford? Also, how would it explain Seals being there for some of the time? Having spoken to an Ex SEAL who was at Machrihanish, I was told that they wouldnt guard the likes of Air Force hardware, this would be left to Air Force Special Ops.

You mention that there are SEALS, Rangers and various other outfits at Machrihanish. Where are they? Do you have proof of this? Anytime I have been there, the place has been deserted, and there certinaly were no US Rangers patrolling the fence. Now back in the 70s, when you were there, you should have seen US Marines, as they were based to guard the nuclear stuff, but they are not there now.

With regards to radio traffic, you are right in saying that not all traffic is audible. Special forces today use Burst transmissions to pass data and information over. Aircraft on the other hand, need to use standard VHF/UHF radios. They may well have burst transmission equipment aswell, but this is not of use to talk to air traffic control. Military aircraft (acknowledged and unacknowledged) still talk to Air Traffic Control, which is audible.

With regards to your mention of the SR71 operating from the base, do you have any proof of this? I would be interested in seeing any pictures/documention you have regarding this.

And the infamous runway. Is it 3 miles long? If you look at official documentation, or aviation charts of the airfield, you will see that the runway is 10,003 feet long. This only makes 1.89 miles, not 3 miles im afraid. All you need to do is look at the picture on my website, taken from the fence looking straight down the runway, that in itself shows that it is not 3 miles long.
www.black-triangle.co.uk...

Regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk
Black Triangle Aviation

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Random sidenote:Were you Int. Corps/ DIS Fritz?

Point:

We have a Freedom Of Information Act now. Alienwatcher, why don't you try putting in a request for information on Machrihanish using

edit:
typos and

I thought of something else:

My dad once knew some people who'd worked in the RAF / Been radar operators. He said they mentioned they often had unidentified contacts flying across the North Sea and from the US-USSR at impossibly high speeds, like many times the speed of sound.

[edit on 4/1/05 by minimi]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sorry Minimi - Most definately not!

I wish I had been. I could be on a nice little earner now as yet 'another' security consultant.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
this is an EXTREMELY interesting thread, probably one of the few threads that have caught my eye on this forum

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

And the infamous runway. Is it 3 miles long? If you look at official documentation, or aviation charts of the airfield, you will see that the runway is 10,003 feet long. This only makes 1.89 miles, not 3 miles im afraid.

Regards
Kevin
www.black-triangle.co.uk
Black Triangle Aviation

This is one of the reasons why I want to get some good sat pictures!

OK, having done some specific research and I am inclined to agree with stealth_chaser on the runway length. If you look at the UK Ordnance Survey the approximate length is 3100 meters - i.e. 1.93 miles. By my estimation still putting it in the top three longest in Europe (not including Russia!). Now the problem is that there are websites who say they have exact measurements at over 3.2 miles long. For example a "military policeman named Alan" says he made exact measurements of the runway at 3.2 miles. His testomony is found here:

www.alienexistence.com...

Another site also has it at 3.2 miles:

www.aerospaceweb.org...

Anyway, if it is only 2 miles this is still one long bloody runway. More important is what is coming in and out!!

Sat pictures please anybody!

AW

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebolazebra
this is an EXTREMELY interesting thread, probably one of the few threads that have caught my eye on this forum

Good. Glad you like it! AW

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I too have read the "3.2" miles long runway article by an ex RAF police guy. It first appeared in an article in the old ufo mag, sightings, which stopped years and years ago. The only thing that was in the articles favour, were a few good pictures. One of two USAF spec ops helos parked beside a hangar. They did however manage to misidentify the helo;s are Lynx's, when they are actualyl MH53 pave lows from RAF Mildenhall.

I am always very sceptical about these sorts of articles for many reasons. First off, the magazine went bust.
Second of all, the whole I refure to give my real name is always a bit suspect. There is no real sensative information given out in the article, so why hide your real identity?

The aviation charts prove the fact that it is not 3.2 miles long. Having personally flown into the base, I too again can confirm that it is not 3.2 miles long. Even still, as pointed out, it is still a very big runway. It is one of the biggest military runways in Europe.

The fact that the article was in a newspaper does not necessarily give it credability, to quote a good friend of mine:
"dont let the truth get in th way of a good story."
This is the view that many papers take, so be wary.

regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
ebolazebra, glad you like the thread. feel free to jump in

regards
Kevin

www.black-triangle.co.uk

[edit on 5-1-2005 by stealth_chaser]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienwatcher

Sat pictures please anybody!

I guess the sat pictures I gave were not what you were looking for...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Alienwatcher you better be careful dude. That base has been a source of much mystery and I am sure the MIBs (or whoever) will not be 2 happy about you looking around. It is less known than Area 51 and I'm sure they want to keep it that way. Sure investigate, but don't let them know ur doing it. Forget the Aurora crap! It must be one the network of secret bases the NWO guys use to move things around the globe. It was a UFO that downed that chopper in 94! Surf safe, Menwith Hill is listening!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyralen

Originally posted by alienwatcher

I guess the sat pictures I gave were not what you were looking for...

What I need is real close up Sat pictures, like the ones for Groom Lake. I want to see the actual buildings, trucks, planes, etc on the ground. Compare old and new, etc. Thanks for trying. Perhaps you have connections at digitalglobe.com?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join