It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Mayan Tablet Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
www.futurity.org...

An ancient Mayan tablet, from the 5th century has been discovered in Guatemala.
The tablet tells the story of an ancient Mayan king, unfortunately the article doesn't give us a translation.

According to the article, the fact that the tablet was stored by the Mayans indicates they were more interested in preserving their history than previously believed.

I'm hoping to find a translation, I'd like to hear the story myself. Any one out there speak Mayan?

A new link provided by a fellow ats'er below, that gives A LOT more info about a Mayan Cold War!

news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 24-7-2015 by Midnight4444 because: Added link with new info.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Amazing

a reply to: Midnight4444

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Here's another article that gives a little more detail on the stele's. news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

Here's another article that gives a little more detail on the stele's. news.nationalgeographic.com...

Awesome! Thank you for adding this, it is exactly what I was looking for.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same. Politics, religion, and wars.

Good find, btw. S&F

edit on 7/24/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I don't have time to read it right now but, I was thinking about getting a tablet as well; was it a samsung or apple?

BTW, I will return later as I wrote a research paper on something similar in the past so I will have a serious look when I can.
edit on 24-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: footnote

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The panel inscriptions tell of rituals of kingly accession.

So they had kings and endless war, too. Go figure…

What is it with people that gotta run other peoples business?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I thought the Spanish destroyed everything and the mayans were wiped out with small pox and the common cold so nobody can know if they were writing gibberish or Hamlet?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Ironically, the Spanish Friar who ordered almost every Codice and book burned in his Inquisition, Diego de Lana, also translated much of what he came into contact with prior to initiating his inquisition so we do in fact know what the 3 surviving Codices say and can use that work to translate new pieces that appear every so often, like these stele's.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Ironically, the Spanish Friar who ordered almost every Codice and book burned in his Inquisition, Diego de Lana, also translated much of what he came into contact with prior to initiating his inquisition so we do in fact know what the 3 surviving Codices say and can use that work to translate new pieces that appear every so often, like these stele's.

Sorry to quibble, but did he translate them, or transcribe them? I'm currently reading a book on the cracking of the Mayan script...and I was under the impression that the Jesuits had "set back the process 200 years" by their "translation".

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The Maya all apparently vanished around the same time that Pseudohistorians started making up claims about their culture. You can't have say Osmagogovich pretending that the Maya all flew off with Aliens while the Maya themselves are saying "we are still here and you are talking crap".

But just for proof, Maya website.

Today, more than seven million Maya live in their original homelands of Mesoamerica

maya.nmai.si.edu...

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
I don't have time to read it right now but, I was thinking about getting a tablet as well; was it a samsung or apple?

BTW, I will return later as I wrote a research paper on something similar in the past so I will have a serious look when I can.

Apple?!?!? Seriously...

No no this was a mint condition ANCIENT mayan...
Verry rare... And more duarable than smashpple...

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
can it get candy crush?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

No, quibble away. The fact is though that De Landa forced Mayan scribes to translate Mayan glyphs into Latin. The 2 century setback was because his documents "disappeared" and weren't rediscovered until 1863.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
I thought the Spanish destroyed everything and the mayans were wiped out with small pox and the common cold so nobody can know if they were writing gibberish or Hamlet?
I believe a good portion of what was found was transported back to the Vatican and is being held in the archives there. I suspect.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: haven123
can it get candy crush?

I could bet that it´s crushed some candy in its days...

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Based on what? The Mayans themselves talked about how the codices were burned and other Catholics complained about what De Landa had done. Enough so that he had to return and face charges, for which he was eventually exonerated but that's a whole other thread really. There's not an iota of evidence for your supposition and it's likely not based on anything other than personal belief that the Vatican secretly has everything in magical catacombs to further its attempts to control the world. Am I close? The facts are that De Landa brags about the burnings, other Spanish witnesses corroborate it and the Mayans themselves discuss it and still do to this day. Or at least as of last December when I was in Tulum. Nobody has ever mentioned the codices being brought back to Spain let alone the Vatican. Do you have anything to substantiate this or is it nothing more than your personal feeling?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

No, quibble away. The fact is though that De Landa forced Mayan scribes to translate Mayan glyphs into Latin. The 2 century setback was because his documents "disappeared" and weren't rediscovered until 1863.

I checked the index of my book, and Landa comes up considerably later along, I should have been more patient...it was Kircher that held up decipherment due to the direction he chose with the Egyptian hieroglyphs, hence holding things back for "200 years", I was mixing the two up...however, from what I gather, Landa transcribed glyphs incorrectly under the assumption that it was an alphabetic writing system (according to the direction of Kircher). He therefore mis-translated it, rather than translated it, it could not be properly translated until Yuri Knorosov's research in the late 1950s, early 1960s was published, and the techniques for reading it that he suggested were applied. Or that's the jist of it so far I think. I don't know, yet, how Landa's work bears up in relation to that...and I don't want to spoil the suspense by sneaking too close a peek at the ending

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Don't ruin the end of the book on my account! The fruits of your labor are best undressed slowly so don't rush it. It's been quite awhile since I've read up on the subject and I was basing my comments on conversations with my Mayan guide from Tulum last December so I'm certainly guilty of what I'm constantly bitching at other people about... Lack of proper due diligence before opening my pie hole! It's certainly more than plausible that De Landa made errors as I would imagine the Mayan scribes working under him weren't the most compliant resources given the circumstances. Please let me know how it all pans out by the end of the book as I'm quite curious to know.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Don't ruin the end of the book on my account! The fruits of your labor are best undressed slowly so don't rush it. It's been quite awhile since I've read up on the subject and I was basing my comments on conversations with my Mayan guide from Tulum last December so I'm certainly guilty of what I'm constantly bitching at other people about... Lack of proper due diligence before opening my pie hole! It's certainly more than plausible that De Landa made errors as I would imagine the Mayan scribes working under him weren't the most compliant resources given the circumstances. Please let me know how it all pans out by the end of the book as I'm quite curious to know.

My Spidey senses are telling me I should prepare to be owned (that and the chapter I read last night), but the story is still unfolding, so I shall hold off from further opening my pie hole for the time being (even if it is on the understanding that I will be soon back to cram it with the humble variety).

TTFN

edit on 27-7-2015 by Anaana because: forgetting to close brackets

top topics

<<   2 >>

join