It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' CEO: $15 minimum wage is 'outrageous'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I'm sorry but $15 bucks an hour for fast food workers IS outrageous.

The CEO might be overpaid but he probably went to university and busted his ass at school to at least deserve some of the money he's making.

If these people want to make $15 an hour then they should go to college and get a degree in something useful that's in demand or learn a trade that's in demand.

Busting your ass at school is over rated. Lots of people have done that and there are still non college educated people who are smarter and better at the same jobs. Truth be known your better of becoming educated on what you do than learning all the stuff you wont ever use. School in large part is just a scam way to filter who can get jobs (usually those who had wealth parents).

There should be no 40 hour a week job that you cannot live on the pay.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The CEO might be overpaid but he probably went to university and busted his ass at school to at least deserve some of the money he's making.

If these people want to make $15 an hour then they should go to college and get a degree in something useful that's in demand or learn a trade that's in demand.

Your model of thinking is incredibly outdated. Women in the workforce combined with mass immigration has resulted in less available jobs, and the ones that are mostly available, the service industry in particular, pay such low wages that you have entire industries built up around profiting from cheap labor.

I mean, I'm sure you had to have understood this before you even posted, but you're being intellectually dishonest because you may benefit from the hard work of people making un-livable wages.

Skilled or unskilled, service industry jobs are hard work. 15 dollars an hour is STILL not enough to support yourself as a single person living alone. You might barely be able to keep your head above water, but one unexpected expense will sink you.

Your 'superior' mentality about how a CEO deserves more money than he could actually use is retarded. Also, there are no longer any guarantees with college degrees. Competition is fierce, and H1B immigrant lobbying is heavy because this just saves corps even more money.

Born citizens are being replaced with cheap immigrants.

Women have soaked up any lower tier available jobs in the last few decades, likely at a lower salary.

Corporations continue to outsource to foreign nations, so they can afford bigger bonuses and raises for their execs.

The population is only ever going to increase, meaning less available jobs, and thanks to your mentality, these jobs will pay pathetic unlivable wages.

Clearly there is a huge wealth imbalance here, and it only deepens because people like you have no respect for the hard working individuals who carry these corporations on their shoulders.

You should be ashamed at your greed and self entitlement. The recent min wage hikes aren't enough to keep citizens above water. Regulations are needed to cap CEO and Executive salaries within reasonable limits, and force corporations to more evenly distribute profits to the employees who carry the business.

You're absolutely ridiculous in thinking a CEO could possibly deserve to make the outrageous sums of money they do now.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42

I am surprised, i thought the inflation was a lot higher in the US.

Thanks.

The problem is over the last 6 plus years the Government has failed to fix the recession and this means that successful companies have not been hiring at all and other companies have been laying off. The market gets flooded with skilled educated people but there is no job for them to transition to other than the high turnover ones that pay minimum wage or close to it. So instead of making 5 times minimum wage they are trying to live in a very underpay situation. This not only affects these under paid people but the people who are low skilled and low educated that should have these jobs but can not get them since they can not compete anymore.

Now we have a lot of people well underpaid and so they say we need to double minimum wage to fix it...

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Completely agree with you. What happens to everyone else already making $15/hr? Do they get extra too? bumped to $20 or $25 an hour? I think not.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward

Its only moral solve wrongs with rights, and forcing other people to spend their money the way YOU force them to isn't right. A minimum wage is a moral wrong because it violates the property rights of others. Greed is bad, and coveting is just as bad too. So, support fair wage restaurants.

I don't shop at Walmart and I do not support the vast majority of food chains because I disagree with their practices. I support local hamburger shops and restaurants that treat their employees well. If people had a backbone and did the same then these predatory companies would change, or go away, but it is easier to not lift a finger and just just complain that we should cap everyone high and low. Capping high is great until the cap is lowered to your bracket. Today we might suggest the top 1% is rich tomorrow it could be the top 10% or how about top 50%, then we can live in a Communist society where no matter how much or little a person supports everyone gets the same.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Well, if the Employee doesn't gt a decent wage to match the high costs of living, then they could always stop working for a Month or so.... lets see how the big Chiefs like it when nothing is getting done and they make no money at all.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: yourignoranceisbliss

Skilled or unskilled, service industry jobs are hard work. 15 dollars an hour is STILL not enough to support yourself as a single person living alone. You might barely be able to keep your head above water, but one unexpected expense will sink you.

Is "single person living alone" a right, privilege or luxury? I was in my 30s before I didn't need a roommate any longer, so why is it that today so many feel that minimum living standards should be based on "single person living alone"? There is no synergy today in people sharing expenses to actually live a much better life than solo living would provide.

edit on 25-7-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Well, if the Employee doesn't gt a decent wage to match the high costs of living, then they could always stop working for a Month or so.... lets see how the big Chiefs like it when nothing is getting done and they make no money at all.

A big part of the value of a job is how many people are able to do it and how long does it take a person to master it. Minimum wage means lot's can do it and the skill level is easy to master, so if there are 300 people looking for every position and it takes two days to master it then your experiment would mean that the labor pool would just swap from the ones once working with those looking for a job as the company just hires new people to replace the protesters.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

If you believe that a donut shop can operate while paying their labor $15/hr, then sure you can provide at least a rudimentary business plan on how that would work? What are your price points to support that labor cost? How many donuts do you have to sell to just break even?

Well, I don't know much about a store as big as DD, but in the town I used to live there was a small bakery, most of their business was in selling freshly made donuts. Originally they were a 24 hour shop but after 2008 they cut back. There's still people there 24 hours but the store itself isn't open 24 hours a day.

Generally these days they're open from 8 am-10pm so 14 hours per day and they only ever have one person at the counter at a time. I assume they usually have a manager in a back room too but I've never seen them. Then there's a person who comes in each night to bake the donuts, breads, and pepperoni rolls. People who work there either worth 3 or 4 days a week getting 8 hours per day. So the cooks are getting paid 56 hours, the people up front are getting 126 hours (a small amount of overlap each day), and you have to figure the managers are getting 70 hours (assuming they put in 10 hour days).

Lets say minimum wage were 15. That's what the people up front would be getting, the cooks are probably getting a bit more like 17, and the managers are probably at 20. So that's $952 cooks, $1890 cashiers, $1400 managers. So per week your labor costs would be looking like $4242.

Compared to now their costs are probably more along the lines of (the owners have several businesses, all are very generous wage wise) $10 cashier, $13 cook, $18 manager. That works out to $728 cook, $1260 cashier, $1260 manager so labor costs of $3248.

They usually sell donuts at $1 each, breads at $3, and pepperoni rolls (their biggest seller) at $2. They also have other assorted things like ice cream and coffee. A wage increase would up their costs by 31%.

So you would be looking at $1.30 for a donut, $4 for a loaf of bread, and $2.50 for the rolls. Price wise that would still leave them as a better deal than the local Krogers 1 block away from their business charges for the exact same things at current rates.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
$15 bucks and hour for flipping burgers is outrageous.

Because that wage translates to increased cost employers have to match for ss,medicare contributions.

What many people fail to see is that ALL work is not created equal.

Never has been NEVER will be.

The one size fits all wage solution.

Brought to us by today's progressives!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Well lets look... here is the last 20 years...

CPI was 150 in 1995 and 238 today. That means a dollar in 1995 takes 1.57 today to buy the same thing.

Minimum wage in 1995 was $4.25 and today it is Federally $7.25 and a range from $7.25 to $10.50 per hour in States.

If we added 57% to 1995 minimum wage we get $4.25 + 57% = $6.67 so by the last 20 years we are keeping up with inflation.

1968 was the very best in US history for minimum wage at $1.60

CPI is 550% higher today than 1968 so if we added 550% to $1.60 we get $10.40 so an increase to $10.40 would match the very best we every had. Should it be 9 to 10 bucks, most likely. Should it be 15 bucks, no way....

Unfortunately CPI isn't accurate. Minimum wage is more or less indexed to CPI when they determine how much to raise it. CPI as a number was reformed in 1980 however and is now calculated different. The difference in calculation is how we "eliminated" the high inflation of the Carter years. It's still there, we just don't count it for the purposes of interest, which is why purchasing power has declined.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

There are some 25141 fast food businesses employing 150639 people,now what you say is half true high end restaurants are not opening and there are some that struggle with double pay on weekends and public holidays,fast food however is doing quite well as for unskilled I would employee an ex Mc Donalds or KFC manager as they have a good work ethic and experience,most fast food employees are young and they do progress onto other jobs your not stuck flipping burgers forever unless you choose to.Leaving politics out of it I believe in a minimum working wage as the only welfare that works is a job and why get a job if you can make just as much on welfare and food stamps?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Eat the rich... It's healthier than eating donuts, anyway.

US CEO-Worker Pay Gap Is Widest In Developed World

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
It's still there, we just don't count it for the purposes of interest, which is why purchasing power has declined.

Much of the Carter years was reversed, but anyhow what you are saying then is minimum wage has been below pre-Carter standards then for 35 years, so why all the fuss today?

edit on 25-7-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Why?

How does it hurt you one iota if all those people get a better standard of living?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So this guy starts a business, invests money, gets other investors, works crazy hours for many years, takes financial chances, maybe mortgages his home and....how the hell dare he think that entitles him to something in return!!! Dirty filthy bastard. And then...get this...he employs people with no skills what-so-ever and helps them make a living. What a freakin creep.

I'm glad there aren't more like him, employing others, taking all the risk for what...$500 an hour? Not even lawyers make that...right?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: staticfl

Completely agree with you. What happens to everyone else already making $15/hr? Do they get extra too? bumped to $20 or $25 an hour? I think not.

Sorry, this is classical hater-thinking.

Why would you want to keep someone else from reaching the same economic level as you? It won't hurt you one bit if those people suddenly have a higher standard of living.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel

Why?

How does it hurt you one iota if all those people get a better standard of living?

Ummm...you do realize that a company that employs you pays you for your skills, intelligence and what you bring to the company. Right? So I guess these people bring $7.25 per hour or a bit more. Are you implying that businesses have to pay people more than they are worth? Because these people apparently think that is what they are worth since they took the job...and they must be happy with that pay because they don't seem to be going for additional education on our dime?

Did you ever think some of the responsibility for what they make...lies with them? You know...just maybe?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel

originally posted by: staticfl

Sorry, this is classical hater-thinking.

Why would you want to keep someone else from reaching the same economic level as you? It won't hurt you one bit if those people suddenly have a higher standard of living.

Maybe they don't bring in enough to make more. Ever think of that? If you want to be pissed off about something regarding jobs, how about stopping all US businesses from going overseas for manufacturing and keeping 11 million illegal people from taking the other jobs. You know...because you care so much about American wages and jobs. Like your president.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

We can't stop the 11 million from taking what is offered to them.

Please direct your anger at those hiring them.

Capatilism relies on cheap labor, which is why the repubs won't do anything about immigration either.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join