It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' CEO: $15 minimum wage is 'outrageous'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If I had my way I would make the donuts in Singapore or Indonesia.
The children have tiny hands that could make the finest donut holes around.

But nooooo.... the fancy smancy public likes their donuts fresh...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I'm sorry but $15 bucks an hour for fast food workers IS outrageous.

The CEO might be overpaid but he probably went to university and busted his ass at school to at least deserve some of the money he's making.

If these people want to make $15 an hour then they should go to college and get a degree in something useful that's in demand or learn a trade that's in demand.

I know older physicists and a couple BA'S working in the fast food industry and stocking shelves in a drug store and Walmart. Slave wages are outlawed under the UN treaty for the Abolition of Slavery. Go look it up. Everybody deserves to make an honest living where they can afford to live, not excessively, but at least reasonably. So your point on degrees is lame.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

It's not about what they know; it's about what they're doing. The term I believe is over-qualified.

A person with degrees in physics who stocks shelves shouldn't expect to get paid like he's using his specialized physics knowledge and expertise because he isn't.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be awesome if we went back to the barter system!

People could actually get what they were worth and the quality and quantity of their efforts would be rewarded appropriately!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I find it outrageous that some unskilled nobody who hands out doughnuts expects $15 and hour when people have been sweating and sacrificing body parts for far far less.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think min wage needs to be adjusted by city along with cost of
living adjustments, within reason. I think this should cover cheapest rent in area and include health insurance as well as minimum cost to eat. Beyond that, is a luxury. Like cars, phones, tv's etc.

I can't stand people who whine about income equality. Unless you are doing insider trading or taking taxpayers dollars and rigging your income, most of these sucessful ceo's and similar are providing a service to people.

You are compensated for your usefullness in society. What goods or services YOU provide society. Period.

Look at actors, for an example. They provide entertainment to millions for a couple of dollars from each viewing of their movie.

The last thing you should ever want is the option to be successful removed, because that will bite you if you ever figure out a formula to get there.

You have to work smarter, not harder to make money these days. Working 60 hours a day moving 3000 bricks makes you a hard worker, but stupid. Learn how to make more, provide more, make yourself more valuable to others and the money comes after.

Look at people like Facebooks owner, he made a lame website with your pictures on it and networked it out to make massive wealth.

You don't have to be a genius, a college grad, a doctor or lawyer, but be useful. Provide a reason to be paid. Anyone can flip burgers, or make donuts, and they are valuable to the business, but they are not running anything, they are essentially selling their time only. Instead, experiment and make the best burgers in the world, get a loan, get a store and sell them. Use good marketing, give good value and it will expand and make you rich. That's how to get rich on burgers. Not work your way up the labor ladder. That is what theses rich ceo's have learned.

That ceo, needs major balance to keep the wheels turning. Running a business is not easy. Marketing/advertising, new/existing customers, hiring, payroll, purchases and negotiations, navigating taxes/accounting, insurance-property, liability and health issues.

If any one of these fails, the business fails.

The way people whine today about inequality, makes me wanna puke. If someone wants to be paid like a business owner, be one.

It's that simple.

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Wouldn't it be awesome if we went back to the barter system!

People could actually get what they were worth and the quality and quantity of their efforts would be rewarded appropriately!

While almost all humans have a fairly strong level of intelligence (logic/reasoning), their levels of insight makes them effectually morons.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I guess it would be the ultimate Darwinian test.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

I fear that at $15/hr it wouldn't be long before your donut and coffee come from a machine in the donut shop and the workers who would like to be making $15/hr will be instead sitting home making $0/hr.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That would be awesome. Then we would see that someone who hands me a burger and feeds me is worth more than someone who paid someone else to give him a slip of paper that says he's somehow worth more

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
I find it outrageous that some unskilled nobody who hands out doughnuts expects $15 and hour when people have been sweating and sacrificing body parts for far far less.

I know some people that work in the manufacturing industry...these jobs are dirty, no climate control and rough..they had to bust their ass for a few years to even get close to $15 bucks an hour...yet these people want make $30k for bagging donuts...looool

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Well, to be fair, they do also sell bear claws and crullers.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I'm sorry but $15 bucks an hour for fast food workers IS outrageous.

The CEO might be overpaid but he probably went to university and busted his ass at school to at least deserve some of the money he's making.

If these people want to make $15 an hour then they should go to college and get a degree in something useful that's in demand or learn a trade that's in demand.

No, no, no...that's not fair. They want to drop out of school, smoke weed, get pregnant at 16 AND make what many college grads struggle to make these days. Don't they deserve that? Lol. I'm with you on this.

ETA just did the math for the first time...$31,200 a year to hand out donuts??? Go f@#$ yourself.
edit on 24-7-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It would be fairly idyllic if you happen to like a subsistence level of living.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It would be fairly idyllic if you happen to like a subsistence level of living.

Well, that's the thing. If you provide goods and services that people want, you'd be successful. You could market your goods and services based upon what you thought they were worth. If your customer agreed, then you'd have a successful deal.

It would suck if you had a liberal arts degree in womyn studies.

But survival would be of the fittest!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I would starve and be able to do nothing making 15 an hour and I don't have to stand in one spot all day.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

"suck" ?

What exactly are you trying to say here beez?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Yeah, well, I won't be patronizing this creep's business. I will boycott Dunkin Donuts from this point on. Screw him!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

"suck" ?

What exactly are you trying to say here beez?

In a barter system, how valuable would it be?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

No, no, no...that's not fair. They want to drop out of school, smoke weed, get pregnant at 16 AND make what many college grads struggle to make these days. Don't they deserve that? Lol. I'm with you on this.

ETA just did the math for the first time...$31,200 a year to hand out donuts??? Go f@#$ yourself.

I was a commercial painter for over 12 years and never made over $15 an hour working for someone else.

I had to carry around 80 lb. buckets of paint and even heavier extension ladders all day long, every day. I had to caulk and putty until my fingers bled. At least twice a week I would spend 10 hours on my knees painting baseboards... all in the deep south where temperatures hover around 100 for a good part of the year... and that doesn't even scratch the surface of my job requirements.

Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour and housing prices will skyrocket along with everything else. Why in the world would someone do that job when they can go wrap sandwiches and pour coffee for the same amount of money?

Like you said, these people demanding $15 an hour can go f@#$ themselves. That's the stupidest thing we could possibly do right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join