It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' CEO: $15 minimum wage is 'outrageous'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
a reply to: muse7

I get so sick of this argument. You cannot BUY worth, you cannot BUY intelligence. Where I work, we go through managerial types with their fancy degrees like a crohn's sufferer goes through toilet paper. Why? Because you cannot shell out money and get a slip of paper that proves you can do a job. These people are always immediately replaced, but when someone who is in production (you know, those who ACTUALLY run the machines that create the product that makes the company all the money) leaves it takes forever to find a suitable replacement.

And no, I am not speaking for myself, I am in shipping/receiving, but I see first hand who the real movers and shakers are. I've offered this wager to the people who make the decisions where I work. Everyone who works on salary take a month off and see how the company runs, then let the hourly people take a month off and see how it goes. The results will surprise you

The union tried that one where my husband worked. The company desk jockies out produced them during their weeklong walkout, and the company kept the numbers to prove it for future contract negotiations.

So maybe things are different where you work, but where my husband works, your assumption would not prove out.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

That was the exact model I used in all my entrepreneurial endeavors.

I paid well over the minimum wage to even green employees. They showed great loyalty and made my businesses a resounding success. You get what you pay for.

When I was a youth I worked many low paying jobs and watched the employees steal the businesses blind.

Pretend to pay your help and they will pretend to work.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You obviously dont own your own company. reply to: olaru12

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
You obviously dont own your own company. reply to: olaru12

Actually I still maintain 3 LLCs all in the competent hands of very well paid managers; and I have a union gig on the side....SAG/AFTRA and IATSE.

Union proud, Union strong.
edit on 24-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

The thing that people who oppose a minimum wage hike don't understand is that, if the employers don't pay it, we are paying it. Employers are indirectly subsidized by the government assistance their employees have to utilize because of the low wages. They are ripping the rest of us off and they know it.

If employers had to pay a higher minimum wage, their employees wouldn't qualify for many of the benefits and the rest of us don't have to shoulder the burden.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You know what, I will say this, I have only had 3 jobs in my life at three different places and that would never hold true. May I ask where your husband worked?

But these threads show to me who the REAL entitlement crowd is, and that's the ones who hold degrees. I never understood why we should pay an entry level employee so low, but pay a degree holder so high when neither have proven their worth. Just because you hold a degree in say, finance, is no guarantee to me that you didn't cheat off your buddy to pass the tests. EVERY single job out there is important, if they weren't, they wouldn't be there. So many say anyone can do a certain job, well in my experience, EVERY job is easily and quickly replaced. We lost our vice president and Director of sales last year, both were replaced within a week. Doesn't seem like it's that inclusive of a position, you know what I mean?

(sorry to ramble, can't seem to condense it
)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

And most of those jobs used to be done mainly by people who were not working them as a means of full-time sole support or family support. They were working them as temporary measures and first-time employment to get their feet wet in the job market and cut their teeth earning their base job skills.

Because we have a crap economy and lots of very, very poorly educated people, some by choice, and some due to circumstance, you see people attempting to make a living at those menial jobs which is not their purpose.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Well, I own a small business that caters to other medium to large businesses and even though Dunkin's CEO may come across as unreasonable and insufferable, he does have a point.

If I currently pay my employees $11 and hour to maintain support services to a larger client. The client pays me $20/hr that will essentially cover my employee costs, insurance and Worker's Comp, and a minuscule profit, then how should I expect the client to now turn around and pay me and my employees more since he now has to pay his folks $15/hr???

He has to pay his employees more but is he entitled to pay his vendors, consultants and contractors more for parity?? Can I maintain employ of my people if they make way less than the people they support? I can't necessarily bump up their pay if my client doesn't pay me more. Makes sense now?

If there were an incremental pay increase over several years to attain $15 with a surrogate pay increase process for support vendors, then I am all for it. Until that happens I am not a supporter of the big jump to $15 or higher.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Bolocks...the lack of equal effort is the real issue

a reply to: Danke

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You obviously get it

reply to: Jaellma

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I can't remember who posted this, but it's their idea, I'm only stealing it.. Thank you.

If someone is making 20K a year with a 10/hr job and getting subsidized by government for another 20K for housing, food stamps, tax credits, etc, then getting 30K a year (15/hr) then they would loose @ 10K/year.

So what to do?

Raise it to 40K/year? Then what do you do with all the folks just making 35K/year?

And where is this money going to come from?

Is everything going to cost more?

Then I won't be able to afford it, and will demand a raise.

. . . . . . . and the madness continues. . . . . . . .

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

That's what I always think about ... the small businesses. I use small businesses as much as possible. And I sell to small businesses. I know that they work on a much smaller scale of money.

Why do people not take the small business into account when discussing the minimum wage increase? This large increase does nothing but ensure the death of many small businesses across the nation. Hooray to a nation full of McD's and Dunkins. Yay!
edit on 24-7-2015 by whatmakesyouright because: bad grammar ...

edit on 24-7-2015 by whatmakesyouright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

He works at a biotech production facility.

link   

It works just fine in a machine shop. A good machinist takes a week off and and we lose 10K. THe GM takes a month off and we make 20K.

Don't thank God. Thank Frank. God doesn't have any idea which buttons to push.

link   
This is a good argument...I appreciate your input...not right..but well said

reply to: Cuervo

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Cuervo

And most of those jobs used to be done mainly by people who were not working them as a means of full-time sole support or family support. They were working them as temporary measures and first-time employment to get their feet wet in the job market and cut their teeth earning their base job skills.

Because we have a crap economy and lots of very, very poorly educated people, some by choice, and some due to circumstance, you see people attempting to make a living at those menial jobs which is not their purpose.

Yeah. That's the situation. Education is not within everybody's reach and we have cheapened our production with fast food and cheap products. If our economy skyrocketed, these people would not get paid more; they would just expand their cheap production and hire more minimum wage people.

Either way, we still end up subsidizing their wages. Why not shift that burden to those who are directly involved? Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation and that causes the taxpayers to feed their employees.

So it doesn't matter how you justify the situation. Either we pay for it or the employers pay for it. Since we don't directly profit from the labor, it should be the employers who take it on. Not us.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Education is no longer within everyones reach largely because the real cost of getting one has increased by nearly 600% since 1984.

But these for-profit schools have to show ROI every quarter or their shareholders revolt. ASTSG.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
In the end central banking is the problem...but nobody wants to hold them to the fire

a reply to: beezzer

edit on 24-7-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

OK, first off, that is a degree I understand being worth more. Me?, I have worked at physical production jobs. So the "desk jockies" would have had to lift and move heavy items. Boxes and pallets weighing quite a bit. Quite a big difference besides typing on a computer or surfing the internet. (not saying they do that there, but you see so many people post on here saying that)

And I will say right here that, after reading so many of your previous posts, I owe you an apology because when I saw a reply from you, I expected hostility from you. I don't know why I did, but thank you for the calm rational responses

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

t works just fine in a machine shop. A good machinist takes a week off and and we lose 10K. THe GM takes a month off and we make 20K.

Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join