It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' CEO: $15 minimum wage is 'outrageous'

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
a reply to: olaru12

But saddly, we as a collective whole just don't seem to care about one another like we should be.

Yes and burger flippers have been fired for giving the homeless food that was bound for the dumpster.

America has lost it's soul and sense of honor; and replaced it with the profit motive, obscene greed and corruption of the spirit. God help us.
edit on 28-7-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I agree that no one deserves to have life handed to you, but with that said, we seem to group those who don't want to better themselves with those who fall on hard times.

Why do we?

What about all the issues in this country where families were doing fine, both parents are employed with good jobs and all is well. Then their company goes under, or the parent gets sick, or one of a thousand other things? They are just supposed to suffer and give up custody of their kids?

That's what I mean, entry level jobs aren't just for those entering the workforce, they are also being used by those trying to climb back up and get back to where they were. And if we don't have any jobs that can sustain a family, then how are they supposed to ever get back up again?

We just don't help those who really need it, we just go on to say they don't deserve to make enough at that job they luckily found after x amount of months being unemployed.

And a growing number of these families sadly are veterans and skilled workers who lost jobs to outsourcing or contractual positions.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I agree that no one deserves to have life handed to you, but with that said, we seem to group those who don't want to better themselves with those who fall on hard times.

Why do we?

What about all the issues in this country where families were doing fine, both parents are employed with good jobs and all is well. Then their company goes under, or the parent gets sick, or one of a thousand other things? They are just supposed to suffer and give up custody of their kids?

That's what I mean, entry level jobs aren't just for those entering the workforce, they are also being used by those trying to climb back up and get back to where they were. And if we don't have any jobs that can sustain a family, then how are they supposed to ever get back up again?

We just don't help those who really need it, we just go on to say they don't deserve to make enough at that job they luckily found after x amount of months being unemployed.

And a growing number of these families sadly are veterans and skilled workers who lost jobs to outsourcing or contractual positions.

I often say that the vast majority of us are about "three bad lucks away from being out on the street." Meaning, for example (and sort of like what you said), you lose your job, get sick + one more thing you didn't see coming. So, I appreciate what you mean about people that are suddenly down on their luck. I assure you, I can empathize/sympathize.

That being said, and this is a little uncomfortable for me to say because it sounds harsh, but we do have unemployment benefits that go for six months (I'm not sure if the extension from the recession period are still a thing). Anyway, just making up an example.... If someone has a job making $85K/year and unexpectedly they lose their job. My belief is that, for the most part, in six months time they will be able to find gainful employment. Maybe not at the $85K salary, but I would hope that over the course of their career they have obtained enough marketable skills to not have to resort to going back to straight-up entry level work. I do understand that for some sectors, this may not apply but there can never be a system that covers every single possible scenario.

Your comment about outsourcing makes my blood boil (in agreement with you). This trend MUST STOP (but I admit I do not know exactly the mechanisms needed to make it stop.... perhaps add a surcharge to contracts given by US based companies on their foreign payroll.... although that may lead to companies setting up shop "on paper" overseas.... again, I don't have an answer). On this general topic though, the foreign worker visas is something that legally CAN be stopped if any politicians had the will or desire to. I can't recall verbatim but deep within the laws/regulations it states that companies can petition to bring in foreign workers if they can show that there is a need that cannot be filled domestically. To me, that is fair and reasonable. The abuse starts when that part is ignored. Look at what Disney did just a few weeks ago. They told about 1,000 IT workers that they were not only being let go and being replaced by H1B workers.... but that in order to get their severance package they had to stay long enough to train their replacements!!! From what I've read, Disney will save somewhere in the neighborhood of $40K/year for each replaced worker.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Our wonderful world of capitalism has lead to a religion of profits and a disregard for human effort that got that company to where it is today.

Too often do we see companies form with the premise of taking care of the workers who got them to the positions of fame they enjoy, only to outsource once they can or see a nice profit in the bottom line.

Making money is what this country was founded on, however when it's at the cost of the resident of this great nation, things need to be closely looked at and altered.

Seems our companies are all about taking care of it's employees, until they can justify them to be too high cost to keep employed.

I get what you mean with an 85k job, that family can pick up some pieces a bit easier than a family stuck in less fruitful positions.

Things need to change, sadly I don't see things becoming more fair, on the contrary, they'll continue to get worse, we're heading towards a land for the haves and less land for the have nots.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Things need to change, sadly I don't see things becoming more fair, on the contrary, they'll continue to get worse, we're heading towards a land for the haves and less land for the have nots.

This is the part that keeps me up at night sometimes (literallly). For my wife and myself.... we have are careers and our jobs are as stable as one can ask for. Our son hasn't even entered kindergarten yet and I am horrified when I ponder what our nation (and world) will look like twenty years from now.

I can not point to one, single, solitary law/rule/policy put forth by ANYONE from EITHER party that helps what used to be called the middle class in any capacity whatsoever. Sad part is, the one thing they are good at is distracting the masses. Look at what the major news stories were during the trade agreement time-frame? This trade agreement is probably the single most important issue that will affect literally every single person in the United States but instead the stories were about confederate flags, gay marriage and so on. (I'm not saying that the other topics don't warrant coverage at all, just that the only way to help EVERYONE across the board whether they are black, white, gay, straight is to give them financial opportunities).

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Well said,

We give people fish, instead of teaching them how to fish.

We don't really have job betterment / placement programs for people on welfare, we basically send them to a specialized listing of jobs to apply just like every other tom, dick and jane. Instead we could have people take placement tests, coupled with their skillsets and provide them employment based on their passed experiences and placement scores, why isn't that a thing?

It took the Baltimore riots to happen, for the mayor of this city to start offering summer youth jobs to help give some people something better to put their efforts into.

We create these places in america where jobs just don't become vacant if there are any at all.

Or we put the jobs into a contractual setting, allowing for companies to basically head hunt for employees to later on toss out if their contract is underbid.

The every day worker has almost no rights anymore, so we are creating more people carving out their nich on the backs of those less fortunate.

I do wonder, if maybe it's time we get someone with some business sense in office to give this country a economic overall, the political aspect of presidency almost seems like a backseat issue now a days, since doesn't matter what party is where, things still stay on the same course they have been for decades.

But then my wits come back to me and remind me, it's the presidency, it doesn't really hold much position of authority in the 1st place anymore, if it did, we'd most likely have more done for this country.

Got to wonder, how people are elected into positions, when they most times have never spent a day being a real American, dealing with the very issues they vote on.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

I can not point to one, single, solitary law/rule/policy put forth by ANYONE from EITHER party that helps what used to be called the middle class in any capacity whatsoever.

Therein lies the problem. When one relies on the state to legislate your livelihood, one is quite often disappointed.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
In the 50's and 60's we had a middle class.

Minimum wage laws, along with our ridiculous trade policies, killed the middle class.

Trade policies I can agree with but not minimum wage laws. Lets look at what else was true in the 50's and 60's: Everyone was still recovering from the destruction of WW2, everyone that is except for the US who had the worlds manufacturing base. Everyone was paying our prices, and our workers didn't have to compete with overseas labor. That is what fueled our middle class.

In the decades since we've made some bad trade deals and we've opened our workers up to competing with people who work for a dollar per day. We simply can't compete with that. What we need to do is close some of our internal markets, there's nothing wrong with exporting competitive goods but we shouldn't be using Chinese or Indian labor to sell products to our citizens. Prices would go up a little bit by doing so but it would be offset by the increase in employment and wages.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Well said,

We give people fish, instead of teaching them how to fish.

Millennials are the most educated generation in the history of the world. There is plenty of teaching to fish going on. There just aren't any fish in the stream because there's too many fishermen.

In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter that NYC is the location in question. Is it an expensive city? Yes. However, that doesn't change the fact that an entry-level position at a fast-food joint is STILL not meant to be a career. It is still meant to be a job for people who are just beginning their working life (possibly living at home while in school, etc). As I've stated earlier, fast food companies are still just that, companies. They are not a branch of government who's purpose is to subsidize the lives of their employees.

There are far too many of these jobs in the economy. They are career positions now.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
$15 dollars an hour sure is outrageous. The idea of a "minimal wage" defies sanity. The "living wage" needs to be $70,000 a year!...that's the minimum! Time to start thinking about getting paid a "maximum wage" I dare say--after all, that's what the CEO of Dunkin' Donuts feels he deserves. Otherwise, start setting up tents in the backyards of these CEO clowns. They seem to like a good circus.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: IanFleming

I can not point to one, single, solitary law/rule/policy put forth by ANYONE from EITHER party that helps what used to be called the middle class in any capacity whatsoever.

Therein lies the problem. When one relies on the state to legislate your livelihood, one is quite often disappointed.

No argument here. I think we should barely notice the effect of government in our lives. That being said,IF they are going to set policies/regulations/laws THEN they should be there to benefit the United States' domestic workforce.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CantStandIt
OMG, I say let's stop bickering about it and expecting somebody else to do something about changing it.

So here's my plan.

I am going to start a business.

Something that has sustainable demand.

And I am going to bust my a$$ to make sure that the products and services we provide are the ones that customers prefer over the competition.

I am going to grow the business such that I have to hire employees. I am going to pay said employees $15.00/hour. And I am going to require them bust their a$$es too. Only one additional requirement above and beyond the usual cleanliness, reliability and respect for themselves and each other: each person I hire must have an interest in learning new skills that they don't yet have. I don't even care if the skill they want to learn has practical value in my business. (Of course, I will take under my wing and mentor anyone of them that cares to learn the managerial and administrative side of the business, too).

I will do whatever marketing and schmoozing is necessary to keep the business top-of-mind amongst our customer base. And to keep bringing in new customers.

I will promote from within as long as I have candidates that are interested and willing to learn and apply themselves.

I expect I will come across a lot of people that will interview well enough to get me to hire them, but that won't work out, and I will wind up letting some go.

But for the ones that stay, assuming we turn a profit, I will provide profit sharing. And I will NOT make 50 times (or more) what I pay my lowest-wage worker. And I will pitch in and do my share of the dirty work.

And I will challenge my people to develop themselves and start their own businesses, and mentor their own employees. If they sign a pledge that they also will NOT make 50 times what their lowest paid worker makes, and are transparent with me, I will be happy to invest in their businesses should I have enough success to be able to do that.

I worked for such a person in high school, and it had a profound impact on my life.

I am ready to have the same impact for someone else. Who is with me!?!?!?

Then you get a bunch of CEO's that make 49 times the lowest paid employee....Don't you see no matter what is signed, agreed upon, spoken about or anything really, GREED conquers all and everyone wants that new Bugatti....They don't fit in with the other CEO's they golf with if they don't live in a 20 million dollar house alone...The $10,000 bottle of wine served while chatting on the porch together....That greed will always survive no matter the situation unless there are LAWS against it....NO agreement or contract will keep CEO's from making every buck and keeping their employees slaves, that NEED TO work to pay bills...If people have money then they will quit and live life the way it is supposed to be lived instead of working as a slave until they are 72, or dead....THEY don't want you or me or anyone to retire...EVER! This will never change

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: truthseeker84

I'm pretty sure you need to be able to live weather or not it's entry level or not right?

Im just saying being able to live is part of it.

Everything depends on situation.

In my mind, when we talk about TPTB, I always think of myself or any other guy on the street. If you and I were given so much money, so much resources, so much influence, so much POWER, will it not corrupt you and I as well?

Or somehow, you believe that you and I are incorruptible?

That's the main point I'm trying to drive across. I believe, if an Average Joe like you and I, somehow takes over or inherit a 20 billion dollar company, our entire understanding and emotional feelings towards this whole minimum wage crap will be night and day difference.

It's easy to talk # about someone, when you're not wearing their shoes.

If you wore the same shoes, but somehow was like Mother Teresa, well, I applaud you. But I'm just flat out saying, that I can almost guarantee more than 95% of us would behave the same way as TPTB or perhaps even worse.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

I've worked the fast food deal as a teen, you actually get to take home ( if you have a good manager ) the left over food at the end of the shift.

America wastes more food that is 100% fine just no needed any longer, why aren't we reusing that food for those who need it?

Some do reuse the food waste but most just throw it away.

Could even get smart and resell for a discount the food that is close to expiring.

But saddly, we as a collective whole just don't seem to care about one another like we should be.

I'm pretty sure there is a good reason why they won't let you take home the left overs.

Generally speaking, there is a certain shelf life for all the fast food restaurants. Like as in, if the burgers aren't sold in 3 hours, you toss and a whole bunch of other do's and don'ts. Maybe not exactly 3 hours, but you understand right?

My point being, when the Manager, offers you to take home left over foods, he is taking a gigantic risk in liability. Let's say, that on the off chance that something does goes wrong with the food you eat, and you get sick, imagine the possible law suits.

This is why McDonald won't even let homeless people take their trashed foods. It's all liability.

My wife also worked for fast food services during her younger years, she remembered getting a whole bunch of left overs from the Manager when they cannot sell all of the items in store.

My wife worked there for a good year or two as part time, and took home left overs all the time. I even ate a lot of the left overs with her, we never had a problem, we never got sick. Some of the food stuff is only like, less than half day old but not sold = goes to trash.

Having said that, I totally understand why they would choose to toss the food though.

See, the difference is, when I see them give my wife the left overs, we are grateful and thinks her Manager is wonderful. If the Manager somehow didn't give us the left overs, we won't hold any grudges.. like many people apparently do.

Like, there's always some people that want to say some negative stuff about others. Like, oh, they're so wasteful, they don't properly utilize the food and resources they have. Not really, it's more like they don't want to deal with the repercussions should something go wrong. Is that really... bad?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

thats exactly right.
my mom worked at a deli in a grocery store when i was a kid so we are talking early 80's.
she said at the end of the night they were allowed to give the food away...you know, macaroni salads and such.

she said one day a person came in bitching about how they got sick from the food and were threatening to sue and made a big scene.
that was the end of giving food away. at least for that store.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Of course.

But the real question is: does the burger flipper deserve healthcare? Shelter? Food? Because the gap has grown so large that your average burger flipper gets to chose which two they want this week.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Wha if something happens what the hell are you suppose to do?

Flat tire, game over!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

a reply to: nonnez

What's the difference between busting your ass on a job and busting your ass in college?

UGHhhh

One you get paid to do... and the other you pay to do.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Wha if something happens what the hell are you suppose to do?

Flat tire, game over!

youre supposed to bitch and moan and cry about losing your job cause you got a flat.
forget about the fact that had that person not been on their 20th job in 2 years and actually showed some dependability and you know effort, the random late clock in due to a flat tire wouldnt matter.

ive had car trouble before. didnt lose my job.

usually though i do the responsible thing and make sure i leave with time to spare and have my phone on me so on the off chance something does happen, i can handle it and still make it to work on time.
its really not that hard to be a responsible adult.

the excuses some of you come up with amaze me.

now people cant find work or cant keep work cause they had a flat????

jesus christ man. people these days take zero responsibility for anything that happens in their life.

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join