It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First step towards a matrix like reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Scientists have created the first robot that can refuel itself and keep on going. It seems that this small robot uses dead flies or pieces of apple to refuel without any help from humans. It uses what is called a microbial fuel cell to garner energy directly from food. This story will surely interest those who believe that we could be heading towards a matrix type future.

www.sciencenewsdaily.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There was a post on this a few weeks ago. The robot in question uses human feices to dissolve the food. Something about the bacteria in the poo helps in the conversion from glucose to electricity. Also, if I remember right, the robot could only move an inch or two a day.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I believe that this one might be a little different as the story claims that it can move about 30 meters an hour. Pretty interesting.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
A new wave of intelligence emerges throught the help of humans...great to think of the matrix....Humans are there own death

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
but are we actually any closer to REAL AI?? thats the main thing. Could we soon have a program with its own thoughts and dreams? unlikely.

But theoretically, and AI program would only need the foundation laid and then the AI could take over and continue to grow until it is true AI.

And if the AI is developed on a closed computer system that can't access any networks, it couldnt do much harm anyway.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
True that AI on a closed network would do no harm... but what if the people that created the program wanted to see what it could really do... and the AI started to manipulate the creators into giving it what it needed to expand..

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

True that AI on a closed network would do no harm... but what if the people that created the program wanted to see what it could really do... and the AI started to manipulate the creators into giving it what it needed to expand..

..wow. i had never thought about AI manipulation before. that's scary.. hell, we'd still be thinking it was still under our control..

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Imagine a 4 or 8 legged two foot tall metal robot with fences hanging off of it running after you!

I'm curious though; why not use other means of energy? Are they just going the efficiency rout? I mean there aren�t nearly enough apples to fuel a robot factory if that�s what they are up to...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
any "sharp-eyed" parent can tell you that the first thing a child learns is manipulation. even without words, they can work people for what they want. but then again, man is inherently self-serving. would ai be also?
daved

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Imagine a 4 or 8 legged two foot tall metal robot with fences hanging off of it running after you!

I'm curious though; why not use other means of energy? Are they just going the efficiency rout? I mean there aren�t nearly enough apples to fuel a robot factory if that�s what they are up to...

Well maybe they are trying to discover a way to easily convert energy... and cost effective so the average person could obtain there own robot... or the are since they were able to convert fly's into energy for the robot maybe they are actually going find a way to use a more abundant resource...such as... like dirt or dust or something is constantly being replenish by the world.. like grass maybe.. or using water... or what would be great would be air as energy... such as nitrogen that is more abundant then oxygen in our atmosphere

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yesterday,I watched the moive I,Robot. While the robot have human's
sentiment,.It is very terrible.

top topics

join