It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hornet Tor alternative for high-speed anonymous browsing revealed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I remember the email draft scheme. That was pretty smart. The break point can just be a single person being compromised which can get hard to avoid with a large circle of participants.

I miss chatting about security and some of the psychology behind it. I've enjoyed reading. Thanks for the discussion.

Damn you SABU! Haha

-FBB

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
All internet traffic has to go through equipment owned by L3 ...

L3 pretty much "owns" the internet, as they own a large share of the internet's infrastructure. L3 has very large government/military contracts.

Since your traffic has to eventually go through their hardware, I'm pretty sure they have a good handle on what/who is coming and going (if they really, really want).

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
L3 is one of five tier 1 internet providers. If you're routing traffic out of NA it's likely to hit L3 gear but not mandatory. Elsewhere it can be another tier 1 provider.

That's a bit besides the point if you're on public wifi. It gets routed to a location not your own.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

From what I can gather TOR, Tails, and raspberry pie is a good start to anonymity on the internets.

Good start maybe, but if you don't understand he basics then you can still compromise yourself.

Tor can buy you time as long as you are not a high target. Once you become a high target Tor can be compromised. It takes more resources to identify you in a TOR network but they can still identify you.

They are also are working on drones called snoopy that are designed to identify anonymous connections in public areas like coffee shops. Again you would likely have to become a high target for those type of resources but the bottom line if you are a high enough target they will likely get you.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I thought I was done with this thread, but I've received a couple U2U's concerning my earlier statements, so, I guess I'm back...

To those of who have refuted my earlier reply by saying that one could use burner hardware and only connect via public wi-fi in order to stay anonymous, yes, you're correct (mostly). If someone with authority (ie. various government agencies) wanted to find you, they likely still could, via security videos from wherever you chose to connect, and such, but otherwise, you would be quite difficult to trace.

When I said there was no way of remaining anonymous and being completely secure online, I was referring to the systems, various software, and the networking protocols themselves (as I thought that was the topic here). In that regard, I stand by my earlier statement.
edit on 7/26/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

That's true, there's actually drones which can do this at a metropolitan-area level right now. The video I saw on it said they weren't yet deployed in all metroplitan-area's, but that was about 5 years ago now. I'm guessing it's got a lot more affordable and sophisticated. Of course the proxies and tor only makes it more difficult. What I've heard is it's anyone's guess to what extent China will cooperate with US authorities and turn over their logs. Many proxies don't even log data, which would make it quite a bit more difficult to trace at that point. You can look for traces at each hop, but that takes a hell of a lot of resources and like you said, you'd have to be high-profile for an agency to even bother.

Easily put, you can do some basic things to virtually guarantee that you're safe for the time being, as long as you're not worth being tracked personally 24/7. I mean some freaking shades and a hoodie does a bit from up above. Leave your smartphone at the house, take the burn lappy, and go to it. What I was doing happened pre-2010. I called it quits when I realized the tech was getting too hardcore, and you can't stagnate in that game, so going up and up lead to one result. Gotta be wise.
edit on 26-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Thx for coming back...

And agree partially....if a law enforcement agency was able to get all that data...most cameras in most businesses don't work...if they have them at all. They often have time errors which make it even harder to pin point....and most cameras are pointed at employees rather than customers....and with coffee houses I have never seen a coffee house with cameras with maybe the exception of Star Bucks. It would be possible to avoid cameras and if we got really crazy I suppose someone could even wear a disguise which honestly no LEA is going to do that much work unless this was really really something serious.

There was an article on here somewhere about how some counter sex trafficking group had set up a fake account on something to exchange children for sex....and the site had 20,000 offers within 2 weeks....that # is sad and depressing...they basically said theyd arrest a handful and attempt to gather more info on the others....that meant 20,000 in 2 weeks! There is just too much crime on the internet to stop sadly. I feel it could be similar with hacking...where do you start if you have 200 leads and only a team of 4 or 5 investigators...cases get tied up in courts for years in which your investigators are now going to testify for which could be in other countries...its a losing battle and I think we've only seen the start of hacking. If you are in the network security business id pursue it more cause its going to be big business.

Also thanks for coming back and clarifying yourself. No hard feelings mate I hope.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
Also thanks for coming back and clarifying yourself. No hard feelings mate I hope.

No problem, and of course, no hard feelings. Hopefully I was able to clarify my earlier statements a bit.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Looks like another weakness has been discovered with the TOR network. Like other methods it involves spoofing the entry or exit node on the network, this one is with the entry node. Unlike other attacks that may require the decryption of the packets to comprise the message this method uses algorithms and patterns without having to actually decrypt the message.

MIT researchers figure out how to break Tor anonymity without cracking encryption

www.extremetech.com...

edit on 50731America/ChicagoThu, 30 Jul 2015 09:50:35 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join