It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hornet Tor alternative for high-speed anonymous browsing revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
FWIW, looks like a much faster and upto 93Gbps tor alternative is coming. Note that it says it makes it more difficult and NOT impossible to identify.

Here is the paper on it: arxiv.org...

www.zdnet.com...

Academics have developed a Tor network alternative for users which allows for high-speed anonymous web surfing. This week, researchers presented Hornet, a high-speed onion routing network which leverages next-generation architecture to make user tracking more difficult

Also some good info on alternatives to anonymous networks
uscyberlabs.com...
edit on 27731America/ChicagoFri, 24 Jul 2015 14:27:31 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
three guesses what infamous organization was responsible for the creation of this browser. and if not responsible, then fully aware of its development, every step of the way.

edit on 24-7-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No such thing as anonymity on the web
No matter how many levels of perceived security are in place

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

thats not true at all....there are totally ways to be invisible.
edit on 24-7-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: artistpoet

thats not true at all....there is totally ways to be invisible.

No, there is not. Anyone who claims otherwise is either ignorant or lying.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Yea no. Sounds like you're the ignorant one.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Far from it. I'm quite familiar with most aspects of networking and security; Enough to be dangerous, anyway. If you think you know a surefire way to remain anonymous and untraceable online, then tell us....And when numerous people point out where you're wrong, just remember: I told ya so.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Ok...let me explain to the uneducated...you buy a chromebook....make a google account...name it anything that doesnt tie to your real self....use a vpn and tor in a coffeehouse ....first off lets say they found what you were doing whatever it may be....your account comes back to a fake name...on a chromebook you bought with cash and you are using it in a coffee house....tell me how in the world do they know who you are?

How do you think so many hackers are invisible? We hear of hacks almost weekly that are massive and rarely if ever hear of them being caught. I see now why so many hackers get away with things if guys like you are involved in network security.

Unless you are referring to that whatever you did could be traced...it would just be traced to a ghost...then I agree.

And the reason I suggest a chromebook is you can put linux on it...all for under 200 bucks...do whatever you had to do then toss the thing even assuming your goal was worth 200 bucks worth of a computer. Please...counter that...I beg you...you threw down the gauntlet ...please tell me howd you find out who it was with that info.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

So sure of yourself. LOL, this is cute.

Buy a throwaway lappy on craigslist.

Go on public wifi to do as you please.

Sell lappy on craigslist.

As long as you're not an idiot identifying yourself on the machine, or through craigslist, you're scott free.

Last step is acquiring new lappy and selling old one before next cycle.

I mean, that's a super low tech way of doing it without any mac spoofing, proxies through china (their logs won't be checked), or tor nodes.

Show me where I'm getting caught, except it never happened. Years of swapping out way back when.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I mean, that's a super low tech way of doing it without any mac spoofing, proxies through china (their logs won't be checked), or tor nodes.

exactly right...some vpns dont even keep their logs

Guess he gave up on the convo haha..

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

It's the reason I never entered IT professionally. I got training and these security-minded idiots were assessing me as if I was a threat for even existing. My mind naturally looks at a system, and figures out how to break it, then design it in a superior way. I do gigs, and consulting only. Never going to enter the corporate fold.
edit on 24-7-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

If you think you know a surefire way to remain anonymous and untraceable online, then tell us....

Are you going to back up what you said? There are suggestions that you wished to hear...we gave them...then you didnt counter them. The worst part is 2 people starred your post...that means I have to share ATS with at least 3 people that think they know what they are talking about today...

Well then since you called us liars and then didn't back what you had to say I honestly recommend you be removed from ATS cause you are a troll or a liar.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Don't get over exited... This guy just likes to give out smart ass replies that are so vague and all encompassing that they sound like truths to the passer by... In reality he's just a post counter.
edit on 25-7-2015 by Choice777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I agree the burner laptop is completely viable for a one shot deal, but it's not particularly practical for daily browsing. I think there will always be a way to evade detection if you're willing to take the steps, but not necessarily practical or efficient. For the ground level user I think they are safest to assume they are not able to be invisible no matter what incarnation of tor they use or if they use any old proxy they pull up on a Google search.

And ease up, it's not a chatroom. Sometimes people take a while to respond. They'll come back to respond, or not.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I agree the burner laptop is completely viable for a one shot deal, but it's not particularly practical for daily browsing. I think there will always be a way to evade detection if you're willing to take the steps, but not necessarily practical or efficient. For the ground level user I think they are safest to assume they are not able to be invisible no matter what incarnation of tor they use or if they use any old proxy they pull up on a Google search.

And ease up, it's not a chatroom. Sometimes people take a while to respond. They'll come back to respond, or not.

Agreed...but you could still use a computer with no personal info on it to browse...thus making you anonymous. 99% of what I do online doesn't come back to me ...sure they may know my game account name but even purchasing online can be done with Vanilla prepaid cards that dont require a name...all they would know is that something exists...but not who.

And the reason why I am not easing up is because this particular individual has done this before...said something completely false then when called out he abandons the thread. I actually think people like this are more toxic to the community than anything else. You will see people's off topic posts being removed or even profanity yet someone can come in...call everyone liars and throw down the gauntlet then disappear when they don't have an answer...and mods will do nothing. The amazing part is that ATS is becoming such a flock of sheep that anyone who writes anything with a high star count automatically gets stars just because people (and im assuming here) think "oh my goodness a high star count guy posted something...let me star it!) without even reading the thread. Personally I think if they don't respond they are a coward and should be removed from ATS.
edit on 25-7-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Didn't know there was history. Just try to keep a thick skin and not let it get to you too much.

It's interesting you mentioned gaming. I've actually heard that Minecraft and some other games are sometimes used for "off the grid" meetings between people that are looking to stay under the radar. Never played the game, but I've gathered from what I've read that it's open and massively popular. Sounds like a good place to get lost in the crowd.

I'll stick to my boring online life. Anybody unfortunate enough to be tracking me online will get awful bored pretty fast.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Didn't know there was history. Just try to keep a thick skin and not let it get to you too much.

It's interesting you mentioned gaming. I've actually heard that Minecraft and some other games are sometimes used for "off the grid" meetings between people that are looking to stay under the radar. Never played the game, but I've gathered from what I've read that it's open and massively popular. Sounds like a good place to get lost in the crowd.

I'll stick to my boring online life. Anybody unfortunate enough to be tracking me online will get awful bored pretty fast.

Yes if you run a private gaming server with about anything I don't know how anyone could record that chat easily....for example I play Terraria with some friends..and not that Id care but Id be surprised if anyone could see that or really...be surprised how they would sift through all that chatter. I remember awhile back that article came out on how the nsa was playing world of warcraft to infiltrate chat groups of terrorists who were using the game to chat....so if you had to infiltrate a game that tells me they dont have access to the chat logs as easily as they wanted...or maybe they were just caught gaming haha...

Here is another thing they were doing...setting up email accounts and sharing it with the whole organization....but the catch is...they only made drafts. So no email was ever being sent or received. Someone would write a draft message and save it...it would be read then destroyed...I dont think that is able to be gotten either unless they had access to the email account.

The place that had Snowden's account...Lavabit wouldn't cooperate with the USA gov and in turn I think shut down...or last I saw was going to. In theory the government or any LEA would need a warrant to have access to emails stored...although NSA apparently intercepts what is sent...but if its not sent...how do they get them...they need the company to be their bitch basically and Lavabit it looks like said no.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I remember the email draft scheme. That was pretty smart. The break point can just be a single person being compromised which can get hard to avoid with a large circle of participants.

I miss chatting about security and some of the psychology behind it. I've enjoyed reading. Thanks for the discussion.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
If you think you know a surefire way to remain anonymous and untraceable online, then tell us.....

Now if someone knew of a surefire way to remain anonymous on the 'net, then told us, the methods used would be compromised and likely not a surefire way for much longer.

From what I can gather TOR, Tails, and raspberry pie is a good start to anonymity on the internets.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

At the very least learn how an operating system works, there are so many tools available to secure traffic on the internet.

1. Brower addons. DO NOT USE CHROME, addons like adblocker and ghostery are very simple tools which block a large chunk of automated tracking.

Noscript if you want even greater control over what is allowed to be loaded in your .
browsers (it is amazing!)

Do not save your browsing history.

2. MAC address spoofing, the hardware of your computers essentially have a unique serial code associated with them.

3. Send large amounts of your traffic through these anonymizing services to dilute your browsing history.

4. Make sure your traffic is encrypted with trusted certificates, if your traffic goes through a "hot" node the least you can do is force agencies to decrypt the data packets.

VPN's and proxies can be run by anyone, people can crack their security and record the traffic so they are merely another layer of obfuscation.

5. If possible do not connect through untrusted wifi networks, your traffic is possibly being monitored, IE: if you are doing anything conspicuous DO NOT connect through your own ISP.

Using a chromebook with TAILS (free linux operating system) is a good suggestion indeed.

I do not endorse illegal activities not protected by whistle blower laws.

Happy surfing

-FBB

top topics

<<   2 >>

join