It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it's like to live with polio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I created this thread in response to all the anti vaccine threads I see out there. Now I know I won't change anyone's mind, but I feel compelled to tell this true life story.

Polio is a devastating, crippling, sometimes fatal disease. Thankfully, there is a vaccine for it. This wasn't the case in 1946, when my mom, who was two years old at that time, wound up with polio. So for 69 of her 72 years of life, she has had to deal with this.

After getting sick and being quarantined, she was sent home. She was one of the lucky ones who didn't die or wind up paralyzed. But she was unable to walk anymore. In the years that followed, she went through many lengthy stints in the hospital. In order to get her legs so she could possibly walk again, she endured 15-20 operations. She had both of her legs broken twice.

She spent most of her summer vacations in the hospital for more treatment. She was endlessly bullied in school as she was in a wheelchair. She endured so much physical and emotional pain. Then there were the other indignities. The pointing and stares when she walked haltingly with ugly cumbersome braces. The ridicule by other kids. She was told she would never drive, ride a bike, or be able to bear children.

Then she met my dad. The fisst time he proposed to her, she told him to go to hell, and prove he wasn't proposing because he felt sorry for her. She made him work for it.
once they got married, he taught her how to drive and ride a bike. She walked a lot, with a noticeable limp. She never let that slow her down. She has three kids and four grandchildren now.

She also has something called post polio syndrome. She is in constant pain, and still walks, but it's much more difficult for her. She has taken many falls, has had a few concussions. I worry about her a lot.

We have talked on the phone, and I asked her what she thinks of all these things in the news about the anti vaccine movement, and she said: I hope nobody ever has to go through what I have been through, and that these people are seriously deluded.

Her words, not mine. But I totally agree with her. I cringe when I hear about previously eradicated things coming back.

Oh well. This will not change anyone's mind, but I had to get this off my chest.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Many people mistakenly believe that anyone who contracts
polio will become paralyzed or die. However, in most infections
caused by polio there are few distinctive symptoms [2].In fact, 95
percent of everyone who is exposed to the natural polio virus
won’t exhibit any symptoms, even under epidemic conditions
[3,4]. About 5 percent of infected people will experience mild
symptoms, such as a sore throat, stiff neck, headache, and fever—
often diagnosed as a cold or flu [3,5]. Muscular paralysis has been
estimated to occur in about one of every 1,000 people who contract
the disease [3,6].
a reply to: ChiefD

would you dispute the information in this document?

the history of the polio vaccine

many many people have and continue to be infected by the vaccine.

edit on 24-7-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

infected by the vaccine. The damage is much worse and the death rates are higher

recently vaccinated people are contageous

Have you considered that medical intervention actually made her worse?

In the years that followed, she went through many lengthy stints in the hospital. In order to get her legs so she could possibly walk again, she endured 15-20 operations. She had both of her legs broken twice.

And finally, when you can't beat then, reclassify them. NPFAP is exploding in India while they claim polio eradication.
NPFAP is exploding in India during the WHO's victory lap

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

glad you posted your moms story,people don't remember when these diseases were common and how horrible it could be...my friend her mom had whooping cough as a child and it was horrific.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I had a dear friend like your mom. She was more my mother than the woman who gave birth to me. She was always so frail and small but such a fighter. I lost her last year and I am still staggered by it. She is definitely part of why I get so upset with this anti-vaccine rhetoric. I understand being skeptical, but risking the health of your own children and the children of others because some celebrities ran their mouths is dangerous and stupid. This anti-vaccine thing really got some legs under it when Jenny McCarthy got up on a soap box and opened her idiotic pie-hole. I think she should be in prison for it frankly.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.

My mother had an older brother, my Uncle Rudolph who was afflicted with polio in the 1940's. My mother was the youngest of twelve children, so Rudolph was more than a decade her elder. My mother, now in her mid-seventies, still sometimes talks about how her entire childhood was spent caring for Rudolph - as my grandfather had already passed away and all of her remaining siblings had gone onto lives of their own.

From hearing the stories my mother has shared about Rudolph this subject has always had a very profound effect upon me. This is truly one of those diseases that not only destroys the infected, but also the lives of those around the infected.

If anyone reading this has never read any testimonials about the horrible effects of this disease, I truly recommend taking some time to do so. It's heart breaking and starkly frightening.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Did you research the author of the "document"?

I was asked to review the book Make an Informed Vaccine Decision for the Health of Your Child by Mayer Eisenstein with Neil Z. Miller. Fortunately my public library had it so I didn’t have to buy a copy. Reading it was a painful déjà vu experience. I can honestly say it met all my expectations: I expected that its concept of “informed decision” would equate to deciding not to vaccinate, and that it would rely on the same tired old fallacious arguments that have been heard before and rejected by knowledgeable scientists. The only thing that surprised me was a warning/disclaimer statement that admitted this book tends to find fault with vaccines, therefore readers are advised to balance the data presented here with data presented by “official” sources of vaccine information, including vaccine manufacturers, the FDA, CDC and World Health Organization. The fact that the book omitted all that balancing data undermines its pretense that it is intended to help readers make a truly informed decision. It regurgitates every argument of the anti-vaccine faction without fairly presenting the arguments for vaccines and without acknowledging that every anti-vaccine argument has been thoroughly rebutted. For instance, it repeats reporter Dan Olmsted’s myth that the Amish do not vaccinate and do not get autism. It deceptively argues that deaths from vaccine-targeted illnesses were decreasing before the development of vaccines. Deaths were decreasing due to improving medical treatment and other factors, but the diseases were not going away: the incidence of the diseases had not decreased significantly. Graphs of the yearly incidence of diseases like measles, mumps, polio, diphtheria, pertussis, etc. all show a striking reduction after vaccines were introduced. The book does not present those graphs. The real proof of the pudding is that in various countries around the world, when vaccination rates dropped, the diseases returned; and when vaccination rates rose again, the diseases subsided. The book does not acknowledge those inconvenient facts. It does rely heavily on horror stories, mainly drawn from VAERS (Vaccination Adverse Event Reporting System) data. For every vaccine it provides a list of cases reported to VAERS. It says these are “just a small sample of the potential side effects associated with vaccines.” This is deliberately deceptive. The fact that a case is reported to VAERS only means that an adverse event occurred after vaccination; it does not even establish a correlation with the vaccine (because we don’t know whether the event occurs with equal frequency in a control group), and it certainly doesn’t establish that the vaccine caused the event. It claims that VAERS data show that Rotateq vaccine causes intussusception in children. It doesn’t mention that the CDC investigated those VAERS reports and found that the rate of intussusception after the vaccine did not exceed the expected background rate of intussusception in the population. It cites cases of adverse reactions to diphtheria antitoxin; but antitoxin is never needed unless you get the disease, which is prevented by the vaccine. And then it recommends avoiding tetanus vaccine since a tetanus antitoxin is available. It fails to mention the adverse reactions to tetanus antitoxin and the fact that it will not be needed if the vaccine has prevented the disease in the first place. How could anyone think it is preferable to get tetanus and then treat it with antitoxin? It cites Andrew Wakefield’s studies allegedly linking the MMR vaccine to autism and his unsupported speculations that single vaccines are preferable. It mentions that his Lancet study was retracted, supposedly only because a British medical panel had concluded that he had violated ethical rules. It quotes Wakefield’s disingenuous protestation that the allegations against him were unfounded. It fails to mention that he had falsified data in his study and that he was stripped of his medical license. It also favorably cites the Geiers’ discredited research; the book was published before one Geier was stripped of his license and the other Geier was prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license. It admits that removing thimerosal from vaccines did not decrease the rate of autism, but it claims that autism was increased by thimerosal added to flu vaccines and by the amount of aluminum in vaccines. It bewails all those antigens injected into “pure, innocent” babies. I won’t belabor all the other misconceptions in the book: we’ve heard them all before. Eisenstein has not only an MD but a JD and an MPH. He has not let his scientific training interfere with his prejudices. He directs Homefirst Health Services, an organization that promotes home births, discourages immunization, provides vaccination waivers to everyone on the general principle that vaccines are harmful, sells natural supplements (profits from recommending them), offers HCG treatment (proven to be useless) for obesity, and claims there are virtually no autistics among its patients. Dr. Eisenstein is also billed as Assistant Medical Director of Alternative Medicine Integration and he has appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show; regular readers of this blog will recognize that “integration” and Oprah are both red flags for non-scientific medicine. He doesn’t think much of conventional medicine. He dismisses mammograms as never having saved even one minute of life, and another of his statements is calculated to really make Dr. Gorski’s blood boil: Scientists also looked at breast cancer treatments: mastectomy, simple mastectomy, radial [sic] mastectomy. There was no benefit on outcome of survival. This is a terrible book. It is dishonest, misrepresents the facts, and is likely to persuade the average reader not to vaccinate, thereby putting the rest of us at risk from decreased herd immunity. The average reader has no way of knowing what is wrong with its claims or what has been omitted. Unfortunately, its flaws will only be apparent to those of us who are able to recognize the book as merely another polemical restatement of discredited anti-vaccine propaganda.
www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...
edit on 24-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
My mom was a polio victim also. She was 36 with 3 children age 4 mo, 5 & 6 years. I'm the 5 year old.

I was in bed with her when the ambulance came and took her away. She was in the hospital for a year.

When the vaccine came out, the principle of our school came to our house to get us before school. She made sure we were vaccinated first.

My mom also suffered from Post Polio. Some think Fibromialgia might be related.

Anti-vaccination is pure insanity. It's a selfish choice that affects all of society.

edit on 24-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Thank you all for your posts, and for sharing your stories.

Now, some of you know why I get so riled up when a I see the bs from these anti vaxxers. These dumb celebrities like Jenny Mc Carthy have done much damage in brainwashing people.

I've had oodles of vaccines, between the ones I had in childhood and the dozens I had when I was in the Navy.

so I will keep being a loudmouth about my views on this. I will not back down.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I remember when we got the sugar cube in the cafeteria (with the polio vaccine in it) ...we had a family that lived across the street...we played with the kids 3 of them had polio...the oldest girl one side of her face was affected, you had to look close to notice anything

another sister it affected her arm

the one affecrted the most was their other sister...it affected her leg she wore a full leg brace with a shoe attached...it did not bend at the knee but she could walk...when she had the brace off that leg was smaller and shorter...and she hopped around...not affected as badly as your mom chiefD, but I wouldn't want a child to have to go through that if it is preventable.

I am sorry your mom was bullied, I am glad my sister and brothers treated our neighbor like any normal child.

for the 2nd poster....her mom chose to have those surgeries. she decided it was right for her..we should not second guess her...

chiefd good for your dad he was good to your mom and she did things the docs said she would never be able to do...I have a friend who also was told she would never be able to drive( like your mom) and never have children.( medical condition )..she proved the drs wrong on both counts...I like hearing these kind of stories

they moved away several years later so I don't know what happened to them or how it effected them later, we all played together didn't treat anyone differently...I don't know how they were treated at school
edit on 24-7-2015 by research100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2015 by research100 because: dang spelling twice

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think whenever someone starts to quote the cdc, fda, paul offit and brings justification for multiple vaccines injected into small children or babies over the irradiation of polio it brings up some red flags now. No-one wants their child or other children to be exposed to these diseases. But the conflicts of interest in the establishments that are providing the scientific data are now very questionable. To leave a blind faith in the pharmaceutical companies having your best interests at heart and trusting your doctor is a thing of the past. Yes there are safe vaccines, yes there are cures to these diseases but are they being made right now Is a hard thing to sell when you have the huge amount of lobbyists, senators being bought and vaccines manufacturers having zero liability if something happens to your child after a vaccine. No amount of safety data written by the very scientists paid for by the manufactures will convince me otherwise. Nor will it justify what happened to my child after their vaccine. Their is no amount of the "for the greater good" that you could convince me that it is not paid for by big pharma.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
5 posters out of nine replies plus OP have stories about polio . I guess the anti vaxxers will claim a statistical anomaly . Vaccines work . Perhaps their should be vaccine free states . Lets see how that works .

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

infected by the vaccine. The damage is much worse and the death rates are higher

Misleading title which has nothing to do with the article you have linked.
From your own source:

Experts say these types of outbreaks only happen when not enough children are vaccinated. In northern Nigeria, only about 39 percent of children are fully protected against polio.

In fact Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan are the only 3 areas in the world where polio has not been eradicated, due to low vaccination rates (actually caused by fear of a plot to render Muslims infertile with western vaccines - as per your source).

The number of worldwide polio cases has fallen from an estimated 350,000 in 1988 to 407 in 2013—a decline of more than 99% in reported cases. LINK

recently vaccinated people are contageous

Since 2000, more than 10 billion doses of Polio vaccine have been administered to nearly 3 billion children worldwide. As a result, more than 10 million cases of polio have been prevented, and the disease has been reduced by more than 99%. During that time there have been only 758 Vaccine-derived Polio cases. LINK

Let me repeat: 10 billion vaccines - 758 vaccine induced polio = the Polio vaccine is VERY safe.
Your first title is really misleading, just like the articles you find in sites like Mercola etc.

OP: star and flag! Thank you and others for sharing personal stories that show the reality of life before vaccines.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

My dad had polio as a child also. The doctors said his exceptionally short legs were a result of the polio... and my dad believed them. Funny thing about that though, every one of his grandsons have the exact same short legs. So unless the polio vaccine given his grandsons caused the same exact short leg syndrome, the doctors were wrong. Like they are sooooooooooo often. For the sake of this argument, I will assume that the vast majority of doctors don't want or intend to give false information to patients, but we're not perfect. People -- including doctors -- make mistakes. And some people are just greedy SOBs who would kill their mother if it made them a dime. Including some doctors, medical researchers, pharmaceutical execs, congress critters, etc.

I will also assume that you have only the best and highest intentions in posting this, and I will extend the same credit to every other person who feels they have the all-knowing wisdom and authority to FORCE questionable vaccines on everyone else. You THINK vaccines are safe... I KNOW that no one has that all-knowing wisdom and authority to guarantee the safety, quality and efficacy of every vaccine produced. For every expert you can find to sing their praises, I can find another to list their faults. Even the vaccine manufacturer provides a whole list of adverse side effects and reactions to the vaccine. I can also find a dozen ways that the truth is hidden and kept from us under color of law.

The saddest part of all this? I will dismissed as simply "anti-vax" rather than "anti-forced-crappy-vax." I am actually a big believer in the potential for vaccines and our health, and in some instances may be our best option (though not all). Using our bodys' natural immune responses is brilliant. Unfortunately, the vaccines we have now put profits before people. Vaccines include too many chemicals (like mercury and formaldehyde) that cause other adverse effects. At one time, the polio vaccine itself contained a cancer-causing simian monkey virus, which was given to God only knows how many unsuspecting people. Another huge problem is giving too many vaccinations at once. I recently read about a two-year-old given 8 vaccines in one, and just yesterday I read about a young child given 13 vaccines in one who died.

I could go on with the problems vaccines create and cause. I could provide studies from the National Insitutes of Health and the CDC to prove the many inherent problems with vaccines. But if you wanted the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, I wouldn't need to because you would have already done your own due diligence, instead of using your mother's personal experience to garner sympathetic ears before insulting anyone who doesn't have the same blind faith in Big Pharma that you do.

a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Thank you for those links. Gave me a lot to think about. As a huge "nutriceutical" proponent, I searched for studies re polio and nutrition at the NIH and found a goldmine. Even in the 30s and 40s, doctors knew that nutrition/malnutrition were factors in the worst cases presented. Calcium deficiency preceded the worst polio conditions. Protein deficiencies were also noted, although the protein deficiency may not have preceded the polio, but may be caused by the polio. Nevertheless, protein supplementation did help the weakened muscles caused by the polio. It was also found that mega doses of Vitamin C and D were very helpful in keeping the polio from causing worst case scenarios. I'm sure with more research, I could find more nutritional information regarding the treatment and prevention of polio... and for EVERY disease.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My brother was 2 years old when he died of polio in 1938.

Who remembers the fearful *iron lung* >>>>

No device was more associated with polio than the tank

respirator better known as the 'iron lung.' Physicians who

treated people in the acute early stages of polio saw that

many patients were unable to breathe when the virus's

action paralyzed muscle groups in the chest.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

yes i would - and just a cursory glance reveales the dishonesty

figure 4 - just stop for one second and ask yourself why the idiot uses the mortality rate [ deaths ] not the morbidity rate [ cases ] as his " evidence " that the desiese was alledgedly " disapearing "

then look throught the entire document - he studiously avoids mentioning morbidity rates for polio at all

why ???????????????

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Awesome post, starred.

Anti vaxxers will continue to post dubious unproven claims.

I sure am glad that there are real facts out there. If I had school age children, I definitely wouldn't want non vaccinated kids around them.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
So, yes - - I looked up the CDC on Vaccine Safety.

As infectious diseases become less common, we hear less about the serious consequences of preventable illnesses like diphtheria and tetanus and more about the risks associated with vaccines. It’s good to be informed about health choices, but the reality is that Americans have never been healthier than we are today and vaccines have never been safer than they are today. The benefits of vaccines far outweigh the risks. As science continues to advance, we strive to develop safer vaccines and improve delivery to protect ourselves against disease more effectively. This overview focuses on vaccine research, how vaccines are licensed, and how we make sure vaccines are safe.

During the mid-1970s, there was an increased focus on personal health and more people became concerned about vaccine safety. Several lawsuits were filed against vaccine manufacturers and healthcare providers by people who believed they had been injured by the diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus (DPT) vaccine. [4] Damages were awarded despite the lack of scientific evidence to support vaccine injury claims. [4] As a result of these decisions, liability and prices soared, and several vaccine manufacturers halted production. A vaccine shortage resulted and public health officials became concerned about the return of epidemic disease. To reduce liability and respond to public health concerns, Congress passed the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (NCVIA) in 1986. This act was influential in many ways.

The National Vaccine Program Office (NVPO) was established to coordinate immunization-related activities between all Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I think the cure for polio is copper salicylate although you can believe a pharmaceutical company that makes money out of disinformation. I do know that the lancet published a paper that proved 80% of pain is due to the vaccines they give us.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Because like InverseLookingGlass, the person is a lying propagandist for an ideology imperverous to evidence and intellectual honesty.

That particular point has been pointed out to ILG many times when she/he has posted it, yet she/he KEEPS repeating it because she/he is not interested in telling the trutg but spreading his/her message by any means necessary, including lies.

Why has this poster STILL not been banned for spreading dangerous lie after lie??
edit on 11-8-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join