It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLUE CROSS of Texas & Illinois Canceling over 600,000 ObamaCare Plans on 12/31/2015.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
They are not being gouged more than they were. The pool of gougees is smaller now. Prices are coming down despite the insurance companies who are the real issue still being in the mix. There is more than one angle to look at this from.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: carewemust

The worst part of all of this?

Everyone is mandated to have coverage under penalty if you don't.

Maybe because those who don't have coverafe cost those who do have it more?

And either way, you pay....someone pays.

The worst part to me is that insurance companies are still in the mix at all making profits off what should be non-profit and cost us all even more for something that is a fundamental thing for everyone.

My freedom to choose to pay or not pay, to seek or not seek treatment has been taken from me.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

So far all the predictions are coming to fruition even my subsidized by the government Tricare is falling into the hike scam, two times already and about to become a third, I doubt it that is going to change and become less expensive, it used to be less expensive.

No, things are not going to get any better for those that falls into the mandated pool of the productive working class that always kept their insurance up today because they are the easier target for the insurance comapanies.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So no answer to the question..

Good you are staying in form.

The companies decided they were not going to offer the plans, the ACA didn't force them to do that.

It was their choice to screw over their customers

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The owner of the company that I work for came into my office yesterday and asked me if I had heard him scream upstairs earlier. I told him that I hadn't.
He said that he screamed because he had received the prices for next year's health insurance at our current coverage.
He says that it was very bad news and that he doesn't know what he is going to do. I didn't get any more info from him.
I have a pretty good idea of what is going to happen though.
I will be paying more, a lot more.
End result will be that I will not be going to any doctor in order to afford the debt that taking my children to the doctor will bring me.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: carewemust

The worst part of all of this?

Everyone is mandated to have coverage under penalty if you don't.

Yep, and that brilliant idea was straight out of the Heritage Foundation and was part-and-parcel of every Republican "Healthcare Reform" plan before ACA.

There's a lot of reasons the ACA is an abomination, but the main one is that the Democrats were dumb enough to trust the Republicans.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
The owner of the company that I work for came into my office yesterday and asked me if I had heard him scream upstairs earlier. I told him that I hadn't.
He said that he screamed because he had received the prices for next year's health insurance at our current coverage.
He says that it was very bad news and that he doesn't know what he is going to do. I didn't get any more info from him.
I have a pretty good idea of what is going to happen though.
I will be paying more, a lot more.
End result will be that I will not be going to any doctor in order to afford the debt that taking my children to the doctor will bring me.

Ask your boss for how many years in a row he's seen annual increases in the cost of coverage.

From 2005 through 2008, I saw the cost of our plan (10 employees) almost double every year. Median age of employee 28. No major medical costs. From 2008 to 2015, the plan has been increasing at an average of 10-15% per year.

Companies raise rates to keep profits growing in order to remain attractive to investors.

/shrug

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: StoutBroux

I can't see the merger of Aetna, Cigna Humana, whatever, being a good thing. Just another giant monopoly.

I am just so angry about this.

The Obama Administration can stop the mergers from occurring if it wants to. They're in total control of approving or denying them, until they're out of office at the end of next year.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I am SO ANGRY. He could fix this but he won't. This snowball is about to hit a brick wall. In the next year or two, the ACA will be shown to be the complete ineffective and disastrous, OVERPRICED POS ever in US history.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yep, and that brilliant idea was straight out of the Heritage Foundation and was part-and-parcel of every Republican "Healthcare Reform" plan before ACA.

There's a lot of reasons the ACA is an abomination, but the main one is that the Democrats were dumb enough to trust the Republicans.

Even though the Rs in the 90s dumped the idea in Committee.

Some people think the Heritage article that started the uproar was mis-interpreted because the author might have been pointing out something else like what not to do. But a classic hoodwink just the same.

We would have to read the original to find out what was in it.

I remember a Bush plan in the mid 2000s that the Democrats rejected, but I don't know if a mandate was in it.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Even though the Rs in the 90s dumped the idea in Committee.

Right, dropped in the 90s? The facts say otherwise: Washington Post

It was "dropped" when they realized that the mandate was being incorporated into the ACA as an appeasement measure to try to get them on board.

Oh, and if you really want a copy of the original Heritage publication, you'll find it here.
edit on 9Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:43:54 -050015p092015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
When I started working for the company over 20 years ago, I had a 15 dollar copay for office visits. That was it, no out of pocket costs at all.
I am fully aware that prices have went up year after year. I know how much my employer has paid year after year, and how much more I have to pay.

The thing is, Mr. Obama told us that we would see a decrease of $2500 a year per family on average. I don't know anyone that has had costs decrease.

Oh, btw, family owned company, no investors to please .... and this company is in no financial shape to absorb any price increases.

edit on b000000312015-07-25T09:55:14-05:0009America/ChicagoSat, 25 Jul 2015 09:55:14 -0500900000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yep, I know Mr. Obama gave out bad information. Whether he "lied" or not is a matter of interpretation.

I don't care, personally whether he did or not. Politicians of all stripes lie like rugs.

I understand, first hand, how increasing costs can affect a small business, particularly one that has committed to providing healthcare for its people.

Yet, I also understand that increases are not purely derivative of the ACA; what was my point.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Neo96,

I agree, can't have a shrinking budget and hold on to fiefdom and that's been an issue in federal departments lack of efficiency.

My disbelief is how many argue the problem is lack of insurance and cost of insurance when in reality it's the costs of the product itself at core of the problem.

Costs that are disconnected from reality by government and insurance money distorting end consumer market.

It's certainly not deregulation, rather complying with long standing regulation that I'm pointing out.

Almost all this thread and many like it totally ignore the criminal actions of providers I suppose because it removes partisan aspects.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

For what it's worth, I completely agree with you about the pursuit of anti-trust laws solving the "problem" of health insurance.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
We were told that it would help the average person.

Yet, I also understand that increases are not purely derivative of the ACA; what was my point.

Was Obama unaware of what would happen after the ACA took effect?
From information that we have now, it would seem that he was aware of much more than the general public and even most congresspeople were.

Either way, he is either a liar or stupid.

I don't like my Presidents to be either.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

No one who has read any of your comments has any doubt of your opinion of President Obama.

But, are you seriously suggesting that President Obama should have been able to foretell the future in detail about how the complexities of millions of customers and hundreds of insurance plans would work out once the ACA started affecting the marketplace?

That doesn't seem to relate to your false dichotomy of "liar or stupid."

It does, however, point to an avoidance on anyone's part to predict the future in precise terms. That's almost always wrong.

Best.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

And it was dumb for Democrats to move forward with passing the law after every single Republican had changed their mind and backed away. Passing it without reading it has to rank up there in the Jonathan Gruber "Americans are Stupid" top 10 list as well.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Actually, premiums went down more than $2,500 a year for some people. President Obama wasn't given the entire premium picture by his advisors..just the part that looked good.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Glad we can agree!

The ACA IMHO offered some sops to garner support but in the main operates as a protection racket to corporate interests, much like a mafia shakedown for protection racket.

It also served to grow government along with intrusion into people's private affairs by becoming gateway middleman over 20% of economy.

There is and was no need for this had government done it's duty of enforcing anti-trust laws in service of its citizens.

I sit far right of you in political opinion but I hope we could both agree that lobbyists should be outlawed due this kind of result.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Here's an outline of the 1993 plan that never got anywhere.

It was just controlled opposition.

Summary Of A 1993 Republican Health Reform Plan

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join