It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy (of some) In the LGBT Community

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Exactly, also people judge the "Gay" or "GLBTQ+ and not the person. i don't like "Gay Behavior" not i don't like *Insert Persons* Personality etc.

it's very detached, but there is always "But i have Gay Friends and they are Ok with it" but that is again Generalizing a group of people as one "Group Think"

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I agree with you. It is the lack of exposure or exposure only to stereotypes that create the sweeping generalizations that couldn't be farther from the truth.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Exactly, but with more exposure comes more push back and the "Gay takeover"

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Exactly, but with more exposure comes more push back and the "Gay takeover"

Face it, you're planning "Armagayddon."

Aren't you.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Exactly, also people judge the "Gay" or "GLBTQ+ and not the person. i don't like "Gay Behavior" not i don't like *Insert Persons* Personality etc.

it's very detached, but there is always "But i have Gay Friends and they are Ok with it" but that is again Generalizing a group of people as one "Group Think"

All right. What were we supposed to do when confronted with the phenomena of Michael Sam? The man was a good college player who had an exceptional year, but anyone who knows football will tell you that good or even great (Tim Tebow anyone?) in college does not necessarily translate to good or great in the NFL, and yet we have been chased around with sports story after sports story about Michael Sam.

The ONLY reason he is in the news like he is is BECAUSE of his orientation. Otherwise, there is no story. Football playing has-beens like Sam are all over. None of them are followed by the national press. So if you go to make any comment on any of the Michael Sam stories, it is immediately construed as an anti-gay comment whether it is or not. Some people are just annoyed by all the coverage afforded to a player who does not really merit it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yes...do you want in? .. like serious

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Want some Stats about Michael Sam?

He was SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year, before he came out he was projected to go in the draft between the 1-3 Round, Before the Draft he was Rated higher than after he came out publicly he dropped out, there were anonymous scouts that said Teams were not ready for a Gay Player. during the Preseason he was in the top 5 of Sacks at his position in the entire League and Top 3 in tackles on his team

Beyond all that, he never actually had a chance to play in the NFL outside of Preseason.. he is not playing because he came out

The only reason he is in the News is because he was the First openly gay player to get Drafted in the NFL, sorry not sorry but he does merit it, he was the first openly gay player drafted...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

No, he's not playing because he's an undersized lineman and didn't transition to linebacker where his size would have been less of an issue in the NFL. There is player from my own alma who is also similar to Sam and he's free agent with San Diego, but if he wants to make it in, he has to transition position from defensive end to linebacker. He has the same build and the had similar success to Michael Sam.

Michael Sam didn't transition, just like Tebow refused to transition to tight end.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, Sam was the first openly gay player and made news for it. So now, after failing to make two teams (and don't tell yourself it was anti-gay because there are lots of guys taken in the early rounds who wash out) and failing in Canada, why are is it still news? Because they keep following Michael Sam. His open gayness and his draft are no longer news.
edit on 24-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Where is he in the news?

he gets mentioned because he was the 'First' he will always be the First Openly gay player drafted, it can't be taken away or undone, so he will always get mentioned in that respect, outside of it.. where is he in the news?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Has he failed in Canada?

Serious question because I hadn't see anything about it.

I agree at this point it is not because he is gay that he is not playing, it is just that he didn't preform.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's been on MSN. If you haven't seen it then you haven't been there.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

He's not playing because he can't play, simple as that. His performance in the pre draft combine had a lot to do with his drop as well. He was an undersized NFL DE, that turned out to be too slow to play LB. Plenty of guys just like him washed out because they didn't translate to the NFL. Anyone stating otherwise, is just trying to make it into more than it is.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EverydayInVA

I might agree with that if he didn't get the Stats he did in preseason, and if "Anonymous" scouts said Teams were not ready for a Gay player and his rating dropped significantly after he came out

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

If you know anything about football, you know that preseason stats mean exactly nothing, you're playing against 3rd/4th string players most of the time, and there's ALWAYS guys that play well in preseason that amount to nothing when the real season kicks off. If the preseason meant anything the Washington Redskins would be good.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Ok,but judging by his Preseason stats shouldn't he have gotten a Chance in a real game? people always say "But Tebow"... but Tebow has gotten Multiple Chances, and is getting another one now

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I just know some people in the NFL, and they ALL say if you can make a difference you're going to play. I guess he wasn't "earning" it in practice. These coaches are making decisions for their livelihood, if someone is going to help them win, they'll play. I know he's not helping himself in Canada right now with some weird behavior, leaving the team for unspecified personal reasons.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Ok,but judging by his Preseason stats shouldn't he have gotten a Chance in a real game? people always say "But Tebow"... but Tebow has gotten Multiple Chances, and is getting another one now

And I'm sure Sam will have his chances too. But as mentioned, he's not helping himself with his behavior.

You are absolutely correct that's the first openly gay guy to be drafted and no one can take that away, but at this point, it's old news. It's time for the press to move on and maybe he'll get his s*** together and maybe have a chance. If he's really the player you think he is, then maybe he'll get a shot again, but until the antics stop and he produces, there won't be one.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Not necessarily. It depends on a lot of things like who they were playing when he racked up those stats and how deep his own team was at that position. If I remember right, St. Louis was already deep at DE when they picked him up.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Well you would be right, MSN is not a site I visit.

Was just asking a question.

Darth, he didn't have what it takes.
He was in a battle with another player on that DLine and lost.

And that player didn't make the team either.

It had nothing to do with if he was gay, that may have been an issue if he had the play to get there but the team was able to cut him on performance alone.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If I remember right, St. Louis was already deep at DE when they picked him up.

They have one of the better D-lines in the league.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join