It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah is going to the Dark Side.....PCs. Need help.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well my classes require a PC since it's computer engineering and being the insane devoted Apple fan I am I am clueless as to what to get for a pc.

I want a laptop, light up keyboard is a MUST! I like the ones you can flip over and write on and take notes but it's not needed. I was told that I would run Linux eventually, many of you on here tried to get me to use that before. I was clueless then!

I will still have my iMac but I will be learning the PC side of computers, which i don't mind especially since it's for school and a career one day. I would never go to the Dark Side unless I had to!

I want a lot of memory on my hard drive. I have 1tb on my iMac. I have 8gigs of ram (I honestly have no idea what that even means, but I'll learn).

I am not fond of virus programs or viruses period so I want whatever the best program is for those stupid annoying things including spyware and malware. I had a PC once for school before and almost lost my # because it kept getting infected via my schools site even though I had so called protection on it. I don't want this to happen again!

I want to be able to easily connect it with my iMac. My last laptop was a MacbookPro and it was easy to share files wirelessly. I still want to do this.

Um. I will have to have MS Office, which if anyone knows how to get the trial OFF my iMac that would be great! It won't let me delete it and it is pissing me off! So an affordable site for MS Office would be great.

Now this is what I'm doing in school.
AS in Aeronautical Engineering
BS in Computer Engineering.

Also any study books on computer code would be a great suggestion. I won't start til January because I want to be prepared and not jump into subjects like calculus that I haven't done in over a decade. I've bought many idiots guides and I love those, very helpful!

So give me your suggestions. Price doesn't matter it will be paid for with my school money. I want this computer to last!
edit on 7/24/2015 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/24/2015 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I'm in love with my Surface Pro3. Not the "rub it and kiss it" kinda love but....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Two brands stand out of the crowd.

Toshiba are great and very 'blingy' or 'in'. They look good. Very reliable. Very well made.

ASUS are great as well. More on the functional side and very sturdy.

Before anyone can offer advice on models, what size are you looking for? From what you have said so far, you need one with two Hard drive bays. Put an SSD in one to run programs and the other for data storage.

Make sure you have at least two USB3 slots.

P

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You do know that an Intel based Mac like a MacBook can run Windows via Bootcamp? You can choose to boot into OSX or Windows as you want. If money is no object, MacBooks are reasonable machines. If you are even more computer savvy and want to, you could also boot into Linux, too.

Get a computer savvy friend or relative to set you up with Bootcamp if you do get a MacBook. Or just play around installing OS's for a bit before you commit any important data to the machine. The experience will give you a head start.

Also, you may be surprised but your Mac is just as vulnerable to malware and 'hacking' as a Windows PC (in most black-hat, computer compromise competitions, the OSX machines are usually breached well before the Windows ones).

The idea that a Mac doesn't get viruses or malware is nothing but marketing BS. It is a computer, it can get hacked.

Take your time, don't let any sales guys rush you into what they want to sell, and have fun.

P.S. most of the people who can dual boot between OSX and Windows, eventually end up running Windows as their OS of choice. When you see both, side by side on the same hardware, it gives you a perspective that the sales guys don't have.

edit on 24/7/2015 by chr0naut because: I'm not a fanboi.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Mblah, I'll keep watch on my email ads for you. It is very common for me to get offers from a number of companies for PC laptops at really good prices. In fact I just helped a friend find a really good i5 machine for a bit less than $250.00.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
most of the people who can dual boot between OSX and Windows, eventually end up running Windows as their OS of choice.

That's because Windows is a little more user-friendly. Not to mention that one can do more on Windows than the needlessly-restrictive Apple software.

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
I want a laptop, light up keyboard is a MUST! I like the ones you can flip over and write on and take notes

It would help to know what size screen you're looking for. HP, makes different sizes with back-lit keyboard and rotatable screen:

www8.hp.com...

Dell also makes great laptops with back-lit keyboards and rotatable screens:

www.youtube.com...

I have a Dell myself.

I want a lot of memory on my hard drive. I have 1tb on my iMac. I have 8gigs of ram (I honestly have no idea what that even means, but I'll learn).

The hard drive is where programs and the operating system is stored. Any time you download something, it's stored on the hard drive.

RAM (random access memory): When you open a program such as your browser or Photoshop, some or all of the program's features will be located to the RAM modules for faster access. Faster as opposed to being accessed from the hard drive.

4 GB is the norm nowadays and should be enough for just about anything you'd want to do. 8 GB of RAM will be more than you'd need, but will keep you from having to add more in the years to come if more is needed.

I am not fond of virus programs or viruses period so I want whatever the best program is for those stupid annoying things including spyware and malware.

Avast is a great, free antivirus.

If money isn't really an option, Webroot includes antispyware, antivirus, built-in firewall (which is what I use).

For malware, Malwarebytes is the best software to have installed. The free version will only get rid of malware after the fact, but the paid version acts like an antivirus program and protects you from getting malware in the first place (I use the paid version).

I will have to have MS Office

For MS Office, you can follow this link to see if you are eligible to get Office for free.

Most schools have their own (or access to) a book store where you'll purchase your books and software for your courses, including MS Office and any other resource you'll need for school.

When i was in school, my copy of Office (2007) was around $35 through the bookstore. If, for some reason, your school doesn't have a bookstore or doesn't have Office (unlikely), then you can purchase it direct from Mircosoft or other places like Amazon.

You will not be able to use a trial version of Office for school. If your school is like mine, you'll be required to take a semester solely dedicated to learning how to use Office. A trial version will not work in this case.

Now this is what I'm doing in school.
AS in Aeronautical Engineering
BS in Computer Engineering.

Good stuff. I wish you luck. I'll be around for any further help or questions you may have.

edit on 24-7-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
I just helped a friend find a really good i5 machine for a bit less than $250.00.

Tiger Direct is an excellent resource for finding deals like that under the "Deals" tab.

Our very own Super Mod "DontTreadOnMe" found a great deal there on a computer. Recently one of my coworkers also found a great deal there on some computers for his side business.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Two brands stand out of the crowd.

Toshiba are great and very 'blingy' or 'in'. They look good. Very reliable. Very well made.

I did like some of those in Office Depot but I'll probably buy online.

ASUS are great as well. More on the functional side and very sturdy.

My ex has one but it's way too bulky unless they make them not so bulky lol

Before anyone can offer advice on models, what size are you looking for?

15 inch

From what you have said so far, you need one with two Hard drive bays. Put an SSD in one to run programs and the other for data storage.

YEA that is something i do not understand lol but I am sure I will eventually.

Make sure you have at least two USB3 slots.

P

I want at least 3! I have 4 on my desktop lol

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Well, first of all, if you use Apple products, then you're already on the dark side. But with that being said...

DON'T get anything with less than 4gb ram. 6 is usually fine, 8 or more is good. I have 12gb in mine and I'm currently using about 44% of it. 1TB hard drive should be fine for your needs. If you're doing aeronautical engineering, will you be using any graphics-intensive applications? If so, you may need a good video card. I'd also recommend at least a 1080p resolution monitor, in case you're using a lower resolution monitor now. It makes a big difference in your experience.

As for antivirus and malware protection, you need two things. First, a "live" protection, as in a program that will always be running to protect your computer. Avast is a great one and it's free. Second, you want an on-demand scanner, which you should use to scan your system every now and then to make sure there's no malware. Malwarebytes is one of the best, and again, free. But the most important aspect of virus protection is basically common sense. Do some quick reading on basic virus protection tips.

"I want to be able to easily connect it with my iMac. My last laptop was a MacbookPro and it was easy to share files wirelessly. I still want to do this."
PCs can do this. There are many ways. Just google "how to share files wirelessly from PC" or something.

Another very important thing you will need to do is make sure your data is backed up. The easiest way to do this is to get a separate external hard drive, the same size or larger than your main pc hard drive, and use any of the numerous backup options to backup the data onto that. Without a dedicated data backup, if something happened to your computer, you could lose everything on it. Obviously that's bad.
edit on 7/24/2015 by trollz because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/24/2015 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You do know that an Intel based Mac like a MacBook can run Windows via Bootcamp? You can choose to boot into OSX or Windows as you want. If money is no object, MacBooks are reasonable machines. If you are even more computer savvy and want to, you could also boot into Linux, too.

Oh I know all about MacBooks. I've had 3

[qutoe]Get a computer savvy friend or relative to set you up with Bootcamp if you do get a MacBook. Or just play around installing OS's for a bit before you commit any important data to the machine. The experience will give you a head start.
The school has specific computer requirements and that is a PC not a Mac. I won't need it for a while but I want to get an idea now since all I've ever used is a Mac, besides the one time i had an Acer and wanted to bash my head in lol.

Also, you may be surprised but your Mac is just as vulnerable to malware and 'hacking' as a Windows PC (in most black-hat, computer compromise competitions, the OSX machines are usually breached well before the Windows ones).
Never had an issue in over 10 years and about 7 different Apple products. 2 Powerbook G4's, 3 MacbookPros and an iMac desktop that I use now. I love my desktop!

But yes I know Macs can get malware but I've never had an issue nor am I all that concerned.

I had ONE PC and well let me tell you that was NOT a fun experience. I don't do anything online but read and store photos. I don't download music, movies or visit sites I'm not familiar with.

The idea that a Mac doesn't get viruses or malware is nothing but marketing BS. It is a computer, it can get hacked.

Oh please. This is not a Mac vs PC debate. I asked for a specific question.

Take your time, don't let any sales guys rush you into what they want to sell, and have fun.

I'm not easy to sell to lol. I will more than likely order online and will spend as much as needed to get what I have to have. I will have more requirement needs the closer I get to the courses.

P.S. most of the people who can dual boot between OSX and Windows, eventually end up running Windows as their OS of choice. When you see both, side by side on the same hardware, it gives you a perspective that the sales guys don't have.

As a Mac lover there is no way I would EVER put Windows on my iMac lol. I just won't do it!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Mblah, I'll keep watch on my email ads for you. It is very common for me to get offers from a number of companies for PC laptops at really good prices. In fact I just helped a friend find a really good i5 machine for a bit less than $250.00.

Thanks there Heff!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
check with the people running the courses what you'll be expected to do, probably it'll be easier to run windows in a virtual machine on your current mac and the advantage is that you can archive the windows machine just by copying the file containing the hard drive to somewhere else.

Depending on how long the course in you can get upto 120 days of life out of a windows install before needing to pop in a valid key (look up rearming)

As for office don't most educational establishments have special offers and some even give it away for free and if you're having trouble removing the trial perhaps the IT helpdesk can pop a look over it and sort it out for you

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Bonez!! When did you become all mod like
Congrats!

Thanks for all that information. I always wondered what RAM was for lol. When I got my iMac i picked the specs and just chose the higher numbers lol. I figured they were the best.

I'll bookmark those links and when I get a chance I will check them out.

I really liked this one I saw at Office Depot. I think it was a Toshiba or Dell. It was about $2000 and had a nice backlit keyboard. It was sleek and non bulky, which I prefer, it reminded me of my previous MacbookPro. (May she RIP, motherboard went lol)

Yea I had a trial version on my computer but i can't get it OFF!!!! Any idea how to remove that? It actually keeps me from shutting my computer down sometimes because it asks me to renew or enter a key code. It drives me insane and then i end up cursing MS out load lol.

No courses required for MS Office, it's just required to have.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
check with the people running the courses what you'll be expected to do, probably it'll be easier to run windows in a virtual machine on your current mac and the advantage is that you can archive the windows machine just by copying the file containing the hard drive to somewhere else.

I have no idea what you just said lol.

As for my current Mac I will NEVER run Windows on it, ever. Not going to happen. I have a desktop and want a laptop for school, a PC is required so I will just buy a laptop. It's more portable than my 27 inch desktop!

Depending on how long the course in you can get upto 120 days of life out of a windows install before needing to pop in a valid key (look up rearming)

I need it for 5 years lol

As for office don't most educational establishments have special offers and some even give it away for free and if you're having trouble removing the trial perhaps the IT helpdesk can pop a look over it and sort it out for you

I will look into that. I know years ago they didn't give us jack squat for MS Office. I had a friend, who has since passed, that gave me the key code so I didn't have to buy it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Well, first of all, if you use Apple products, then you're already on the dark side. But with that being said...

Don't make me destroy you!

DON'T get anything with less than 4gb ram. 6 is usually fine, 8 or more is good. I have 12gb in mine and I'm currently using about 44% of it. 1TB hard drive should be fine for your needs. If you're doing aeronautical engineering, will you be using any graphics-intensive applications? If so, you may need a good video card. I'd also recommend at least a 1080p resolution monitor, in case you're using a lower resolution monitor now. It makes a big difference in your experience.

Not even sure what a video card is nor am I sure if I will need it. Is that for graphics? Does it make them look better? Sorry I really have NO idea about this stuff. I just get online and that is it. I don't do anything with my computer but read and store photos. I download nothing and I dont play games or add any software. Now with school I will have to have various programs of course but I wont be using my iMac for school. I prefer a laptop for portability. I want a good one that will last me the 5 years I'll use it, if that's possible.

As for antivirus and malware protection, you need two things. First, a "live" protection, as in a program that will always be running to protect your computer. Avast is a great one and it's free. Second, you want an on-demand scanner, which you should use to scan your system every now and then to make sure there's no malware. Malwarebytes is one of the best, and again, free. But the most important aspect of virus protection is basically common sense. Do some quick reading on basic virus protection tips.

See I don't get all of this stuff. Why don't they just build the computers with all this built in instead of having to download it and pay for all of this protection? Sure some are free but some are not.

[qutoe]"I want to be able to easily connect it with my iMac. My last laptop was a MacbookPro and it was easy to share files wirelessly. I still want to do this."
PCs can do this. There are many ways. Just google "how to share files wirelessly from PC" or something.[/qutoe]
Thanks. Yea right now all my tech products have an "i" in front of their name so sharing is super simple. I want it to be that way with a different computer. I know in the past I had issues with that but it's been many years so hopefully it wont be as bad.

[qutoe]Another very important thing you will need to do is make sure your data is backed up. The easiest way to do this is to get a separate external hard drive, the same size or larger than your main pc hard drive, and use any of the numerous backup options to backup the data onto that. Without a dedicated data backup, if something happened to your computer, you could lose everything on it. Obviously that's bad.
I have Time Machine on Mac, is there anything like that for a PC or is an external HD the best route? I want one for my pics right now.

Also backing up your entire computer on an external HD, how do you do that? I would have no idea how to even begin. I want to just back up my iPhoto right now on an external HD since that is all I really care about on this computer. I dont have anything else of importance on it.

OH i know how bad it is to lose everything! When I was in school years ago I had an Acer. I HATED THAT DAMN THING! lol I didn't know what I was buying, the salesman sold me that hunk of plastic. Well I had lots of issues and most came directly from my schools online campus and stuff they made us download. I remember losing ALL my work and having a complete break down in chat, when we had chat. One very nice member helped me restore my computer via Skype. They talked me through it step by step. I got most of what i needed back but the rest was gone.

Thanks for the info and help!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I've have used Dell for years. Just actually got a new one. You can pretty much build what you want into it. They usually come with the MS Office, or you can just have it loaded right on. We had a Toshiba in the family at one time, was a big pain in the but to say the least.
Good luck!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Bonez!! When did you become all mod like
Congrats!

Thank ya. It's been going on two years now. You must've missed the party.

Yea I had a trial version on my computer but i can't get it OFF!!!! Any idea how to remove that?

I don't use anything Apple and doubtfully ever will, so I'll leave that to someone who does.

No courses required for MS Office

Sometimes when taking courses for computer-related degrees, taking a semester to learn Office is a requirement. Probably depends on the degree and the institution.

No worries, though. It was probably the easiest college class I ever had.

edit on 24-7-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

LOL I SO missed the party! I had a son so I've not been on here as much as I use to!

Oh come to the Apple side, we have cookies!

Yea I looked at the BS Computer Engineering Degree courses and non are MS related. It's Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

See I don't get all of this stuff. Why don't they just build the computers with all this built in instead of having to download it and pay for all of this protection? Sure some are free but some are not.

Because computers are hardware made out of physical parts. Hence the name hardware.

Software (including operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Android, Mac OS) is made out of programming code. And that code sometimes has vulnerabilities and holes that hackers can exploit to install viruses, malware, etc.

You can't really build software protection into hardware to protect against such things. To protect against software vulnerabilities, you need software protection in the form of antivirus and malware applications. There's really no easy way to build that kind of protection into computer hardware.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have a Dell XPS13 and love it. I have 8 gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD.

Having an SSD is awesome. It's blazing fast and uses barely any battery. I can go 10 hours, easily, without needing to plug in.

Check it out on Dell's site or a store. It's a pretty good model that I've been really happy with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join