It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crimea Is Now Putin's Problem Child

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Crimea Is Now Putin's Problem Child

President Vladimir Putin likened Russia’s 2014 annexation of Crimea to a family welcoming home a long-lost relative.

Now the family is showing signs of strain. Russia’s federal security service, the FSB, has opened criminal investigations of three high-ranking Crimean government officials, accusing them of graft and other misdeeds. Four regional cabinet ministers have been forced from office in the past few months over allegations of corruption. And Kremlin auditors reported in June that two-thirds of the money Moscow sent Crimea last year couldn’t be accounted for.

Crimean Governor Sergey Aksyonov, elected in April 2014 with Putin’s blessing, has reacted angrily to the allegations. Addressing Crimean cabinet ministers on July 7, he accused Moscow of trying to “destabilize” Crimea and using “fabricated” evidence against those under investigation, who include the region’s industrial policy minister, its chief tax inspector, and the director of the port of Yalta. “No one will make victims of our officials,” Aksyonov said.

Concerns about corruption and mismanagement weren’t high on Putin’s agenda when the Aksyonov government took over, says Robert Orttung, a professor at the George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs, who has studied corruption in Russian regions. Authorities in Moscow simply wanted to ensure that the new leaders “were going to back them up.” But now, Orttung says, “these guys are getting out of control.”

The Aksyonov government has waged a campaign of forced nationalization, enacting legislation last year that gave it broad powers to seize companies, real estate, and other private property. In some cases, hooded gunmen ejected people from their land and businesses. Russian citizens were among those whose property was taken; the country’s courts are now flooded with complaints by people seeking redress. The Crimean government said that forced property seizures ended in March, but by then investors had fled the region and its economy was in shambles.

Click link for remainder of article...

It was only a matter of time before the honeymoon came to an end... Its like the end of WWII all over again, except this time its Russia that's pillaging occupied territories and sending the items back to Russia instead of the Soviet Union. I wonder how long its going to take for Putin to realize the soviet union is not coming back, the economic model they use is a complete and total failure, and that the people under Russian occupation aren't going to just sit there and take it.

Now the FSB is involved and Russia is having issues keeping tabs on the money already sent to Crimea. The suggestion is Russia may be using the corruption issue in an effort to scale back promised funding. I am getting the feeling that the people in charge of Crimea had it in their minds that the corruption there would be solely controlled and exploited by them.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

This is exactly why Ukraine's people wanted to join Europe and not a Russian-dominated bloc.

Yanukovytch going back on his campaign promises to do so and to shack up with Putin instead (and no doubt because of personally lucrative benefits) is exactly what started the whole business.

They know---Ukraine has been a corrupt #hole. Crimea is one too, and the more Russia you add, the worse it gets.

edit on 24-7-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

I am starting to think Russia's invasion and occupation might be a positive for Ukraine in that is has forced them to deal with the corruption and has forced them to pass modernization / anti corruption legislation. Grated it is far from fixed but it seems to be on a better path than what Putin has forced on Russia.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Gee...corruption in Russia!

The cynic in me says that these investigations are only into cases of corruption where Putin and his cronies aren't the ones on the take.......or are he ones having stuff seized from them.....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

The cynic in me says that these investigations are only into cases of corruption where Putin and his cronies aren't the ones on the take.......or are the ones having stuff seized from them.....

Dictators and communist all have the same rules. They might talk a good game but in the end what is yours is theirs.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Putin and his crews are parasites and will of course make sure they are the only ones.

But the western corruption owners would love to have Crimea since it is location location location.

Ukraine is more screwed up after the change than before. That is what happens when you trade one parasite from another and your life and well being is not important at all.

As a Humanitarian I would love to help the people, but we in Europe are kind of swamped with all the refugees US and Saudi Arabia have created with their war on terror/ISIS geopolitical experiment and the fast expansion of EU that destroys the middle class power and dumps the salaries.
edit on 24-7-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Don't worry. If things get out of hand the FSB can count on the recently russified Berkut to keep things peaceful and orderly.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
Ukraine is more screwed up after the change than before. That is what happens when you trade one parasite from another and your life and well being is not important at all.

As a Humanitarian I would love to help the people, but we in Europe are kind of swamped with all the refugees US and Saudi Arabia have created with their war on terror/ISIS geopolitical experiment and the fast expansion of EU that destroys the middle class power and dumps the salaries.

Here in Europe, we should actually put Holland under a microscope. Holland smells pot ... in more than one sense.

Just like Iraq, Lybia and Syria and all other countries, that go from one parasite to another ... they all end up worse than before. As you can't ever get rid of a parasite, so in the end ... they're getting eaten by two parasites. And the parasites are more concerned about "getting more", than fighting the other parasite. Making the infected ... sick.

That Ukraine wanted freedom ... was one thing. Wanting to join Europe or US, that was a symptom of a desease, rather than healthy search from freedom.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

The Soviet Union is back as of Jan 1, 2015. Its called the Eurasian Economic Union.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

How is it Xcathedra that you with your western MSM links most of the time

Can turn a good thing like fight against corruption, into a bad thing ?

Ah yes because it is Russia

the next boogyman we have to fear

After that it will be alien invasions that US military complex has to save us from
edit on 24-7-2015 by LostAndFound2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn
That Ukraine wanted freedom ... was one thing. Wanting to join Europe or US, that was a symptom of a desease, rather than healthy search from freedom.

I think it's not about Ukraine wanting "freedom" per se, it's about Ukraine wanting the freedom to make a choice as to the alliances they want to make.

Wanting to be more closely aligned to Europe, as per one of the issues that sparked all this off, is just following the inexorable realignment of all those countries that had been under the Soviet jackboot, for so long. The increasing discontent from Ukraine has been based on a list of grievances that being co-terminus to Russia was holding them back.

Ukraine links with Russia see (1) increasing authoritarianism (2) increasing political and social corruption and (3) zero, or slow economic growth.

Ukraine can look with envy to those nations that have aligned with Europe to see (1) assured democracy and freedom (2) reducing and low corruption and (3) improving and better standards of living.

Russia lost control and the initiative when the Soviet Union collapsed and the reality of their decades of political and social repression was uncoiled. In fact, Russia/the Soviets lost control when they occupied half of Europe. The fact is that countries just don't want to be aligned with Russia because at the core, Russia has not changed. Look at their reaction in Ukraine to see why.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yeah. Like Greece.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LostAndFound2

Like I said in my response to your U2U accusing me of being a government shill. Refute the info in the posts instead of making it personal.

To further what I have been talking about, Putin just fired 110,000 employees from their police / internal security apparatus.

Russian austerity: Putin fires 110,000 officials

I am curious if this is an actual layoff or if its setting the stage for these people to be shipped to E. Ukraine to fight.
edit on 24-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
Yeah. Like Greece.

Very predictable. No, nothing like Greece in they way I think you mean.
Greece has been free to make decisions all along, including borrowing too much! However, also quite like Greece because even with the current problems Greece is better off than Ukraine, has low political and social corruption and are free to choose their future.
edit on 24/7/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: pexx421
Yeah. Like Greece.

Very predictable. No, nothing like Greece. Greece has been free to make decisions all along, including borrowing too much!

The same Ponzi scheme as seen so many times in Africa. Borrow out money with high interest to the corrupt. When the corrupt steal the money, take it out on the citizens in the country and tell the person they have been irresponsible without having the power to make any real decision that effect the system. Go into the country and take all the nice resources and feed on the citizens forever thru the tax system. Being a wage slave is to the economic system is not being free to choose.

Never mind being angry at the lenders for making insane decisions.

Many have a strange Stockholm Syndrome with their parasites. Every citizen seem to love paying 7752$ in average to the top of the pyramid as tribune for creating the system.
edit on 24-7-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

The cynic in me says that these investigations are only into cases of corruption where Putin and his cronies aren't the ones on the take.......or are he ones having stuff seized from them.....

Certainly. The little bosses actually might have believed the Kremlin's propaganda about liberation of Great Crimean Russian People and thought they had Slavic Freedom.

Kremlin knows they have hard currency, and those Olympic debts and ICBM's and foreign accounts aren't going to fund themselves. Note also with correlation in new petroleum "bear" market.

I'm starting to wonder if even Yanukovytch regrets what's happened---if he knew the outcome, if he goes back in time would he ally with the bear again? Read some interviews---he's obviously heavily censored and can't openly speak his mind---but I detected some regret. (As in, he didn't want to have Crimea stolen either)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

Ah because the alternative disease was much better to handle, because we all know Russia is all about freedoms.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Yanukovych has gone on record stating Russia had no right to go into Crimea, let alone annex it. It might be one of the reasons we don't see Yanukovych in front of cameras, aside from Russian media, more often.

Its difficult for Putin to push the Crimea lie when the former dictator / mini putin of Ukraine says something else.

edit on 24-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Yanukovych has gone on record stating Russia had no right to go into Crimea, let alone annex it. It might be one of the reasons we don't see Yanukovych in front of cameras, aside from Russian media, more often.

Its difficult for Putin to push the Crimea lie when the former dictator / mini putin of Ukraine says something else.

He ought to take care to check his tea carefully.

edit on 26-7-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The conspiracy theorist in me I keep wondering if his sons death wasn't a message from put in to him to shut up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join